Has anyone dropped out of the match then re-applied? How did it go?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
4th year applying for ophthalmology this year. I went in knowing how competitive the process would be, but I still find myself completely disappointed by the lack of interviews. I'm considering contacting my mentors soon, but in the event that I can't get enough interviews to match, I'm considering withdrawing this year and delaying graduation. Has anyone done this before? What are my options at this point? I applied to prelim medicine positions but I didn't have a backup specialty in mind because I thought I was a fairly competitive applicant for ophtho. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

You're still in the middle of the process, and there is still time to get more interviews. SDN is a great resource to know when programs are sending out invitations, but don't get bogged down by the success of others. My last interview invitation came the second week of November a couple cycles back. What are your goals? Just to match? If you want to just match, then go through the process, take as many interviews as you can, make your rank list, and see if you match. If you are deadset on a certain region or list of programs that don't offer you an interview, then perhaps taking a year off to improve your application would be beneficial. I would imagine you would have to do a lot to go from not being offered an interview to being ranked high enough to match, so be cautious about that decision. For ophthalmology, you do have to have realistic expectations for matching due to its competitive nature, so it can be difficult to guarantee a particular region or program. I haven't known anyone who has started the process, but withdrawn halfway through. If you're set on ophthalmology and are willing to try again if you don't match, then I would say don't apply for a back-up specialty yet. You can withdraw your ERAS application if you don't match ophthalmology. Hang in there! It's worth it.

- congrats to everyone who matched.
- I didn't match and am wondering if anyone has or know someone who has done the pathology pre-residency fellowships at Wills or Wilmer and what their experiences were like.

Please PM me if you do, would greatly appreciate the help

Thank you!