Has anyone else felt this way in an interview?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hogfan12

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
In an interview I know it is important to have a realistic view/exposure to medicine and be able to discuss it but you must also show that you are passionate about medicine. Does anyone feel that two ideas conflict in some ways?

I recently had an interview and one of the interviewers was a med student and I got the impression that he thought I didn't have a realistic view of medicine when I was talking about how passionate I am towards becoming a doc. I didn't feel like I went over the top talking about my passion for medicine. I also didn't feel that I have little idea to what I will face as a physician - at least as much as a pre-med student could have access to. I have seen parts of being a physician that absolutely suck and I feel up to date on healthcare reform and the increasing bureaucracy physicians are dealing with

Has anyone had this problem or do you recommend a way that I can strike the balance between coming off as passionate but not naïve?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

practice interviewing with people who know what to look for.

Has anyone had this problem or do you recommend a way that I can strike the balance between coming off as passionate but not naïve?

I'd suggest being able to candidly identify the portions of a physician's work life you expect you will not enjoy -- for example, bureaucracy paperwork or non-compliant patients -- but then acknowledge that every other profession also has its negative aspects, and you feel the positives to medicine are more valuable and more rewarding.