Has anyone else had this experience?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
P

paroquet

Hey, has anyone else been accepted to a school that gave you an acceptance form but no envelope in which to return it?

It's kinda insulting, as if they really don't care whether or not you attend, since there's an endless procession of men and women willing to take your place (and therefore pay the school, which is 95% all they care about, I think. The other 5% is how much prestige you'll give them with your postgraduate accomplishments.).

Members don't see this ad.

paroquet said:
Hey, has anyone else been accepted to a school that gave you an acceptance form but no envelope in which to return it?

It's kinda insulting, as if they really don't care whether or not you attend, since there's an endless procession of men and women willing to take your place (and therefore pay the school, which is 95% all they care about, I think. The other 5% is how much prestige you'll give them with your postgraduate accomplishments.).

Get over yourself with your lame philosophical waxings and calls for pity.

paroquet said:

this is the weirdest thread I have seen here

Members don't see this ad :)
That must really suck.

newhavenjake said:
Get over yourself with your lame philosophical waxings and calls for pity.

Don't you think you deserve a bit more respect from schools, especially if they accept you right away?

After spending all that time and effort and money, the least they can do is provide you with a return envelope.

Your remark was totally off...unless you were not accepted to med school, in which case I extend good wishes.

Without Wax said:
this is the weirdest thread I have seen here

But it's the truth! Schools are businesses...a weird form of business, yes, but nevertheless they depend on students to survive.

Med school has extremely high demand from students, so it's like you, as a student, are trying to get a celebrity to go out with you. If you actually succeed, good job, but if you dump the celebrity, he or she will have someone else lined up in no time.

Simple economics: high demand and low supply...

paroquet said:
But it's the truth! Schools are businesses...a weird form of business, yes, but nevertheless they depend on students to survive.

Med school has extremely high demand from students, so it's like you, as a student, are trying to get a celebrity to go out with you. If you actually succeed, good job, but if you dump the celebrity, he or she will have someone else lined up in no time.

Exactly. So why should they send you an envelope. You're their b*tch. Don't like it? Don't mail it back. They've got a bunch just like you, begging to be treated that way. Why else would they get away with residency like it is?

MoosePilot said:
Exactly. So why should they send you an envelope. You're their b*tch. Don't like it? Don't mail it back. They've got a bunch just like you, begging to be treated that way. Why else would they get away with residency like it is?

Right on.

paroquet said:
Don't you think you deserve a bit more respect from schools, especially if they accept you right away?

After spending all that time and effort and money, the least they can do is provide you with a return envelope.

Your remark was totally off...unless you were not accepted to med school, in which case I extend good wishes.

Good lord it's an envelope. Get over it.

paroquet said:

Of course it is a business. E.g the reason why stanford accepted all secondaries this year was to improve its rank on USNEWS (lower acceptance rate) Many Ivy Leagues, both undergrad and grad encourage students to apply so thay they could reject them, making the accpetance rate lower-> higher on the ranking.

But everything in life is business. Dating, getting a job, going to medical school... it is all supply and demand.

It was just weird that you were angry about an envelope.

paroquet said:

Thanks for the left handed compliment.

I will be attending med school in the fall, not sure which of my options I'm going with at this point...

anyway, my point was simply that if a 37 cent stamp and a 5 cent envelope, plus 13 seconds of your time creates a deal breaker situation for you, you are clearly a bit pedantic.