Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Has anyone else

Discussion in 'Financial Aid' started by sara3426, Mar 5, 2007.

1. sara3426

sara3426 Member

Pre-Medical
    checked out their calculated EFC (I just used an online calculator to get a rough estimate of mine) for their FAFSA and have their MIND BLOWN? I cannot believe it is that high.... at my age (22) I can't expect my parents to be giving up that much money!

The government hates me!
    Anyone feelin me?

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Critical Mass

Medical Student
    EFC won't impact unsubsidized Staffords ($30K/year), and it takes quite a bit to be ineligible for the $8,500 in subsidized Staffords.

Your parents' income should not be a factor for subsidized loans BTW. The only reason to include it is if the school gives scholarships based on it and won't let you provide it via a different form.

4. Ladyfingers

Medical Student
    What exactly is considered a lot (not asking what yours was really). I don't know, my mother couldn't give me money if she wanted to so to me any is kinda a lot.

5. karmega5

karmega5 MS2

Medical Student
    Aren'tyou automatically considered independent in Grad/med school? My EFC is astronomical until I change the setting to independent, then it goes to 0 (I'm poor).

6. mshheaddoc

mshheaddoc Howdy
    Moderator Emeritus

off to financial aid ...

7. Sol Rosenberg

Sol Rosenberg Long Live the New Flesh!
    Physician

Attending Physician
    Could you elaborate about at what EFC (ballpark estimate) one becomes ineligible for Subsidized Stafford Loans?