Has anyone else

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sara3426

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
checked out their calculated EFC (I just used an online calculator to get a rough estimate of mine) for their FAFSA and have their MIND BLOWN? I cannot believe it is that high.... at my age (22) I can't expect my parents to be giving up that much money!

The government hates me!
Anyone feelin me?

Members don't see this ad.

EFC won't impact unsubsidized Staffords ($30K/year), and it takes quite a bit to be ineligible for the $8,500 in subsidized Staffords.

Your parents' income should not be a factor for subsidized loans BTW. The only reason to include it is if the school gives scholarships based on it and won't let you provide it via a different form.

What exactly is considered a lot (not asking what yours was really). I don't know, my mother couldn't give me money if she wanted to so to me any is kinda a lot.

Members don't see this ad :)
Aren'tyou automatically considered independent in Grad/med school? My EFC is astronomical until I change the setting to independent, then it goes to 0 (I'm poor).

EFC won't impact unsubsidized Staffords ($30K/year), and it takes quite a bit to be ineligible for the $8,500 in subsidized Staffords.

Your parents' income should not be a factor for subsidized loans BTW. The only reason to include it is if the school gives scholarships based on it and won't let you provide it via a different form.
Could you elaborate about at what EFC (ballpark estimate) one becomes ineligible for Subsidized Stafford Loans?