Has anyone else

Started by sara3426
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

sara3426

Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
checked out their calculated EFC (I just used an online calculator to get a rough estimate of mine) for their FAFSA and have their MIND BLOWN? I cannot believe it is that high.... at my age (22) I can't expect my parents to be giving up that much money!

The government hates me!
Anyone feelin me?
 
EFC won't impact unsubsidized Staffords ($30K/year), and it takes quite a bit to be ineligible for the $8,500 in subsidized Staffords.

Your parents' income should not be a factor for subsidized loans BTW. The only reason to include it is if the school gives scholarships based on it and won't let you provide it via a different form.
 
What exactly is considered a lot (not asking what yours was really). I don't know, my mother couldn't give me money if she wanted to so to me any is kinda a lot.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Aren'tyou automatically considered independent in Grad/med school? My EFC is astronomical until I change the setting to independent, then it goes to 0 (I'm poor).
 
EFC won't impact unsubsidized Staffords ($30K/year), and it takes quite a bit to be ineligible for the $8,500 in subsidized Staffords.

Your parents' income should not be a factor for subsidized loans BTW. The only reason to include it is if the school gives scholarships based on it and won't let you provide it via a different form.
Could you elaborate about at what EFC (ballpark estimate) one becomes ineligible for Subsidized Stafford Loans?