Has anyone ever gotten accepted or interviewed with a non science major and minimum prerequisites?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

toothdds

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

So, I am a psychology major and have only taken the basic sciences to apply like general bio, general chem, o chem, and physics. I know a lot of schools want biochem and anatomy and physiology, but I just don't have time to take them if I want to graduate this year. Has anyone ever experienced something like this and got an interview or acceptance?

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Sure, if the rest of your application is decent. Major doesn't matter very much and high level sciences are just icing on the cake if schools don't require them.

I assume you're going to apply in the next cycle.

Thank you for your response. I applied this cycle

Members don't see this ad :)
I applied in June and so far have two interviews, but I had to drop a biochemistry course that I thought I would be taking this fall, but due to lack of enrollment at my school it got canceled. So now my only option is to take the course in the summer but many schools don't allow courses completed the summer before. I know some schools don't require it that I applied to, but maybe they only interviewed me because of it?

I applied in June and so far have two interviews, but I had to drop a biochemistry course that I thought I would be taking this fall, but due to lack of enrollment at my school it got canceled. So now my only option is to take the course in the summer but many schools don't allow courses completed the summer before. I know some schools don't require it that I applied to, but maybe they only interviewed me because of it?

Don't over think it. You got interviews so focus on that. Do they know your biochem class got cancelled? I don't think they do unless you tell them.

As for taking biochem, if you live near another school, try enrolling in that biochem class. You just need to take it, doesn't matter where.

Do not graduate until you've taken all of the pre-requisites that you need. It is much easier and less expensive to take out loans for school before you receive your first bachelor's degree, also it is significantly easier to register for courses as a student prior to completing your BS.

I had interviews to schools that I did not have fully finished pre-requisites for. Some people I know were accepted but on the condition that they finish their pre-requisites prior to matriculating as a D1.

Reactions: 1 user
Don't over think it. You got interviews so focus on that. Do they know your biochem class got cancelled? I don't think they do unless you tell them.

As for taking biochem, if you live near another school, try enrolling in that biochem class. You just need to take it, doesn't matter where.

Yes they don't know the biochemistry class got canceled. That's true I could enroll in another biochemistry class, but some schools don't allow community college credits for the prerequisites.

Yes they don't know the biochemistry class got canceled. That's true I could enroll in another biochemistry class, but some schools don't allow community college credits for the prerequisites.
You don't live near any other university? Some schools offer classes during "winter break".

Hello,

So, I am a psychology major and have only taken the basic sciences to apply like general bio, general chem, o chem, and physics. I know a lot of schools want biochem and anatomy and physiology, but I just don't have time to take them if I want to graduate this year. Has anyone ever experienced something like this and got an interview or acceptance?

Thank you!
Yes, me.

Liberal Arts major with average stats and got multiple invites. Doesn't hurt to be different

Reactions: 1 users
Someone I know got into a top school with a: 3.5 gpa, soc major, 3.3 science, didn't even take orgo 2 or any upper level bio other than the introductory ones required, took half prereqs at a cc, got c's in the other half, barely got a 19 dat, not a urm, no outstanding extracurriculars but a good amount of dental shadowing. So no it doesn't matter. I'm not even sure if difficulty of courseload matters or where you took them.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Someone I know got into a top school with a: 3.5 gpa, soc major, 3.3 science, didn't even take orgo 2 or any upper level bio other than the introductory ones required, took half prereqs at a cc, got c's in the other half, barely got a 19 dat, not a urm, no outstanding extracurriculars but a good amount of dental shadowing. So no it doesn't matter. I'm not even sure if difficulty of courseload matters or where you took them.

Would like to know what school accepted them? Do you happen to know that?