has anyone ever picked Stanford over UCSF

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mentoz

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
has anyone ever picked Stanford over UCSF? ... why?
same goes for anyone picking UCSF over Stanford ..

i have a 1 hr to decide (special circumstance .. Stanford is waiting at the phone)
:(

Members don't see this ad.

When I was at my interview at Stanford a couple of the first years I talked to had picked Stanford over UCSF. Their reasoning, if I remember correctly:

1. Depending on your finance bracket (or whatever they call it) the financial aid at Stanford can very much rock
2. Depending on your interest in research Stanford may do a better job of really supporting its students doing research (with the scholarly focus thing, research year, etc.)
3. I think they really liked that it was a little more suburban, a little less intense than SF
4. Fewer clinical weeks required, if that's what you want.

good luck!

mentoz said:
has anyone ever picked Stanford over UCSF? ... why?
same goes for anyone picking UCSF over Stanford ..

i have a 1 hr to decide (special circumstance .. Stanford is waiting at the phone)
:(

Members don't see this ad :)
I lump UCSF with Hopkins and Harvard. I just think it is such a powerhouse school. I'd pick UCSF, if I were you. But it is a nice decision to make :)

exmike said:
you already know what I think ;)

MIKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i'm totally breaking down over here .. i was going to call you! but i already knew what you would say (;

this is really last minute, but i'm having doubts about UCSF ..

Just my opinion, but I personally wouldn't speculate on what each school can offer in terms of a financial package to make the decision. The package depends on the individual's financial background and unless you have both packages in front of you, I wouldn't make that one of your deciding factors so soon. I'm not saying your financial package isn't important or isn't a factor, but since it's too early to say, I would personally base it on other factors. Just my 2 cents, but I think the big differences would be living in Palo Alto vs. living in SF and the very different clinical settings. Then I would personally look at things like 5 year plan option, more lecture based, money for travel, more focus on academic medicine, etc...and see what fits best for you, good luck.

I would take UCSF, but the hour is up.... so, which did you choose?

I am 99% sure you will be better off financially if you choose StanFurd. Do compare the tuition, UC has a huge increase in tuition in the last two years, for coming year you will be paying approx $33,600(for out of state). StanFurd will give you more grants and loans since it is a private sch with lots of money. This will be be a major factor. Good Luck

Legend123 said:
I am 99% sure you will be better off financially if you choose StanFurd. Do compare the tuition, UC has a huge increase in tuition in the last two years, for coming year you will be paying approx $33,600. StanFurd will give you more grants and loans since it is a private sch with lots of money. This will be be a major factor. Good Luck

Not true about UCSF.

It'll be closer to 21-24k for tuition/fees, in line with what the other UC's are stating.

I'd choose based on lateinthegame's list up top, those are the major differences. If you want great FA aid, a relaxed/independent 5 years of schooling, and are more interested in research (versus hands-on clinical exp.) and a nice suburban area (versus SF), go with Stanford. Students at both schools are very happy and have tons of great opportunities though.

That sucks that they gave you an hour to decide...

exmike said:
Not true about UCSF.

It'll be closer to 21-24k for tuition/fees, in line with what the other UC's are stating.

I think he's talking about out-of-state tuition, she's from TX.

This is kinda like deja vu. I have reminded you of this same thing in the past :)

Can someone explain the 5 year plan at stanford and why it is so appealing? Is the extra year simply a year of research? If that's the case, it is certainly not a unique opportunity available to Stanford students. At UCSF (as well as lots of other major research schools), lots of students take an extra year to do research. In fact, I plan to likely do so myself between 3rd and 4th year.

If, however, the 5 year Stanford plan means that you spread your coursework and required rotations over a 5 yr period than 4 years, than I guess that is kinda innovative, but not so appealing to me at least in that it would imply paying for an extra year and tuition. Also, how would your scheduling work? Do you just take more breaks or take more time in the basic science years or what?

At least if the year is a research year, then you can apply for and obtain a grant and actually EARN money, rather than paying tuition for that year, but again as I said, that would not be a unique circumstance of being at Stanford.

Members don't see this ad :)
NYC Non-Trad said:
Can someone explain the 5 year plan at stanford and why it is so appealing? Is the extra year simply a year of research? If that's the case, it is certainly not a unique opportunity available to Stanford students. At UCSF (as well as lots of other major research schools), lots of students take an extra year to do research. In fact, I plan to likely do so myself between 3rd and 4th year.

If, however, the 5 year Stanford plan means that you spread your coursework and required rotations over a 5 yr period than 4 years, than I guess that is kinda innovative, but not so appealing to me at least in that it would imply paying for an extra year and tuition. Also, how would your scheduling work? Do you just take more breaks or take more time in the basic science years or what?

At least if the year is a research year, then you can apply for and obtain a grant and actually EARN money, rather than paying tuition for that year, but again as I said, that would not be a unique circumstance of being at Stanford.

You don't have to pay for the 5th year, and yeah you can spread out coursework but I'm not sure about rotations :confused: Any Stanford students out there?

snowbear said:
I think he's talking about out-of-state tuition, she's from TX.

This is kinda like deja vu. I have reminded you of this same thing in the past :)

Yeah, omg thats embarassing, considering she is my friend! oops! sorry :D

I don't get this " I have an hour to decide" situation? How is that possible?
Good luck with your decision though

Who cares? The schools are geographically in the same area and are both damn good. ARE YOU GOING TO GET AN MD? Well, both will give you that. This question really is a bit ridiculous.

The current tuition for out of state(UCSF) is $27,418. But for the comming year the, new increase tuition(40% increase) will be approx $38,385. Everyone knows, StanFurd has more grants(free money) than any UC.

Legend123 said:
The current tuition for out of state(UCSF) is $27,418. But for the comming year the, new increase tuition(40% increase) will be approx $38,385. Everyone knows, StanFurd has more grants(free money) than any UC.

We dont know what the tuition increase will be, so lets not speculate. Some of the increases are for the base tuition/fees which runs at about 4,500 right now (on top of which the professional fee is stacked). Last years "monster" 30%ish increase only raised graduate tuition/fees from $1500/semester to about $2,200/semester.

exmike said:
We dont know what the tuition increase will be, so lets not speculate. Some of the increases are for the base tuition/fees which runs at about 4,500 right now (on top of which the professional fee is stacked). Last years "monster" 30%ish increase only raised graduate tuition/fees from $1500/semester to about $2,200/semester.

We are talking about the med school here not the regular graduate or undergraduate. The $36k - to $38K for out of state will not be far off. You know uncle Arnold is not going to help us out...

Legend123 said:
We are talking about the med school here not the regular graduate or undergraduate. The $36k - to $38K for out of state will not be far off. You know uncle Arnold is not going to help us out...

Just let me cling to my hope that my tuition will be reasonable should I choose to go to UCLA :(

exmike said:
Just let me cling to my hope that my tuition will be reasonable should I choose to go to UCLA :(

The estimates from SD say 20,671.50

Its not that bad.

Legend123 said:
I am 99% sure you will be better off financially if you choose StanFurd. Do compare the tuition, UC has a huge increase in tuition in the last two years, for coming year you will be paying approx $33,600(for out of state). StanFurd will give you more grants and loans since it is a private sch with lots of money. This will be be a major factor. Good Luck

You make a good point, Stanford's financial aid is very good, but Abera Metaferia (Stanford's financial aid advisor) really stressed during my interview day that financial aid is good for the people that tell you Stanford has good financial aid. He said it depends on the individual and your circumstances...so I would be careful about saying which package will look better without having your package (unless you are fairly certain that you know the person's financial bracket and have a good idea of where they fit in). I only mention this point because I went in thinking the same thing and came out realizing that it wasn't as obvious as I initially thought, for my situation at least.

Mentoz, you have probably already decided, but I'll just add my input as a graduate of Stanford Med.

1. The financial aid package is great, but it's true that it varies based on your individual situation. The people who benefit the most are in the "middle income" bracket -- which are those who would normally would qualify for some financial aid, but who typically don't qualify for a whole lot of grant money, so at any other school these are the students that will have to pay for tuition by pretty much taking out all loans. I was in this bracket, did 5 years of med school, and ended up with $45,000 in loans (combined undergrad and med). If I went to any other school, even my state school (non-CA), I would have owed >$100,000.

2. Stanford gives you the opportunity to make more money on top of the financial aid package if you want to do extra stuff in medical school. The big things that students do to help reduce their loans are TAing and doing research. Being a TA compensates really well. For example, if you do a 50% TA-ship for a quarter, which is supposed to be about 20 hours per week, (the max you can do to still be a full-time student), you get paid about $10,000 for that quarter. Half of that money is applied directly to your tuition, so it's tax-free. A lot of students TA -- there are positions available for anywhere from 10%-50% time. The other big money maker that students do is research through the Medical Scholars program, which leads me to the next part:

3. the Medical Scholars program is a great opportunity for the med students at Stanford. It is basically an internal grant that is only available for med students, and allows them to spend time to pursue research. About 80% of students do at least one Medical Scholars by the time they graduate (it used to be $10,000 each, but I think the grant recently was increased). It is a great way to get set up with research, and to get funding for it. The big advantage to it is that you don't have the pressure to secure an outside grant in order to do research at your school. Many people eventually get outside grants after their med scholars money has finished, particularly since certain outside grants can be very prestigious. The advantage is that by the time they apply, they're already firmly into their research, so their grant application tends to be much stronger than if they were just trying to get set up in a lab. The other advantage is that it provides an opportunity for people toying with the idea of getting a PhD to get involved with a lab and see if they would really want to pursue that degree. Several of my classmates did that route, and have decided to go on to get their PhD's in addition to the MD (not through the MSTP program, but it was pretty easy for them to get into their PhD programs).

4. The Five-Year Plan. The 5-year plan is very popular at Stanford -- as many as 70% of students end up doing it. There are a couple of things that make it different than at other schools (where you just take an extra year between, say, 3rd and 4th). The biggest difference is that you spread out your coursework over 5 years without having a gap in medical school. This can be done in different ways given the flexible curriculum that Stanford has, but the most common way is to spread out the 2 years of preclinical coursework into 3 years, so that you are taking less classes per quarter, and then do things like research and teaching in addition to the classes during those 3 years. The other big difference is that the 5th year is essentially free (you basically just have to pay room-and-board), so you are not being penalized for taking an extra year. Again, you do not have to find an extra source of funding for the additional year, because it's pretty much no tuition, you're still a full-time student, and you are still getting financial aid.

A lot of people come to Stanford because of the Five Year Plan and the flexible curriculum. I think that is also one of the reasons it has so much more of a relaxed atmosphere -- because people are given the chance to pursue other things rather than just focusing on medical school coursework. It is certainly a different culture at Stanford than at UCSF, and there are definitely certain personalities that are attracted to one place rather than the other. Stanford is not for everyone, but if you are good at juggling your time, feel comfortable tailoring your own personal curriculum, and like the idea of doing research or other work in conjunction with classwork, then you would probably really enjoy Stanford Med.

Let me know if you have any other questions, especially if you haven't made your decision yet.

Mentoz....tell us about your decision?? And what is this about chosing in a hour...doesn't seem right.

Anyhow, small class size, financial aid, weather, suburban lifestyle, "cushiness factor"

Negatives: Cliquish (?), some HMS/UCSF envy (at least from what I gathered), clinical experience (just because of its location), apparent yupiness (sp?)---for me these drawbacks are quite minor.

Good luck,
Harps

BTW, Viking I will definitely reply to your pm, when I have more time to gather my thoughts. I think you should consider HMS strongly.

-Harps