Has anyone ever quit a summer internship?

Started by 21PharmD
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

21PharmD

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Has anyone ever quit a summer internship for any reason. If so is it ever likely they will accept you back as a future pharmacist if you re-apply once you have your PharmD? Also should you put the time you stayed on your resume? I look forward to hearing what it is you have to say.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
how about you post elsewhere, it is of my opinion that your posts are rarely substantive!

I find him to be pretty helpful.

And yes, people have quit their jobs before. You're not the first person to burn bridges and not like a place. No, they won't hire you back. Don't quit a job if you want it back. Put it on your resume, but any prospective hirers would want to contact your former employers. Better hope they have something nice to say.
 
Buddy, this is not communism and we don't have a single, federally run pharmacy.

Why are you so determined to work for this company? Which company is it by the way? If you say CVS, walgreens, rite aid, etc., I will hate you.

im not determined at all to work at the company, im just need to evaluate my options now that things went a little sour.
 
I find him to be pretty helpful.

And yes, people have quit their jobs before. You're not the first person to burn bridges and not like a place. No, they won't hire you back. Don't quit a job if you want it back. Put it on your resume, but any prospective hirers would want to contact your former employers. Better hope they have something nice to say.


how cute, sdn romance😉

Im just curious what makes you so sure? Are you telling me that people who quit their tech jobs to pursue pharmacy school, once they get in, are never elgible for rehire? How is it any different?
 
how cute, sdn romance😉

Im just curious what makes you so sure? Are you telling me that people who quit their tech jobs to pursue pharmacy school, once they get in, are never elgible for rehire? How is it any different?

It's different because you aren't a tech. You were hired with the intention of being trained to become a pharmacist at that company, and hopefully to stay on once you became a pharmacist. They were doing you a favor by providing you real-life experience at a premium cost. Techs are just that...techs. The company doesn't expect them to stay in for the long haul, so if they do, it's a bonus. If you leave due to silly personal reasons, it's like a slap in the face.
 
It's different because you aren't a tech. You were hired with the intention of being trained to become a pharmacist at that company, and hopefully to stay on once you became a pharmacist. They were doing you a favor by providing you real-life experience at a premium cost. Techs are just that...techs. The company doesn't expect them to stay in for the long haul, so if they do, it's a bonus. If you leave due to silly personal reasons, it's like a slap in the face.

but there don't happen to be reasons for quitting an internship, other than silly personal reasons that offend the company? Is there any way you can leave on good terms?
 
Yes, there are. However, you did not. You left for a silly personal reason.

How do you know why it is i left? It baffles me how you are able to jump to conclusions based on a few posts. And even if it was a silly personal reason, which i dont believe it is, do you think i would give that silly argument as my reason for leaving?
 
Last edited:
but there don't happen to be reasons for quitting an internship, other than silly personal reasons that offend the company? Is there any way you can leave on good terms?

You may never get another job in pharmacy again. Its over for. You are on the federal pharmacts black list. You should quit now and do something else besides post the same question over and over.

Head over to the Podiatry forum and start a thread titled "Are Podiatrists really Doctors". That should keep you entertained for awhile.
 
oh yeah, whats that?

See below.

hey guys, i just finished my first year in pharmacy school and have been working an internship position for a major retail chain for about 2 weeks now. I have been doing ok with everything until the lack of structure in the program lead me to come in one day with a bad attitude. After blowing my stack at a tech, I was then pulled aside by the pharmacist and questioned about my attitude. The next day the store manager requested to speak with me, which i thought for sure would be my ultimate termination. I told him i was frustrated that sometimes there would be nothing for me to do for hours at a time, which he agreed should not be happening. It eventually went ok, but now i fear being blacklisted from the company because of this situation. There now seems to be a lot of tension at work, and im beginning to question my options. I spoke with the pharmacist and told them that i hope that this one incident doesnt taint my evaluation, they agreed it wouldnt but i think they, as well as all the techs are still very upset with me. I would appreciate your thoughts on the severity of this situation as well how you think i could progress from this.

Unfortunately many of the posters on here are quick to jump to conclusions as to why I acted the way i did. It may very well have been the result of a culture of undisciplined and unprofessional behavior in the pharmacy. I am personally offended when techs display a complete disregard to the dignity of patients in the pharmacy while expressing disparaging remarks concerning their appearance and ethnicity. Equally disturbing is the profane and sexually explicit language that have made the pharmacy an uncomfortable place to work. If you can condone and defend this type of wreckless behavior in your pharmacy, then I guess we have different expectations for the pharmacy profession.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Give a 2 weeks notice, cite personal reasons, and move on. You're hurting the company by being there and hurting yourself.

Also, I'd be surprised if they allow you back, unless you're an exemplary applicant. They need you this Summer or they wouldn't have hired you and you're leaving the company. If I was a pharmacy manager and you put me in that position without very good reason I wouldn't hire you back at my store.
 
Last edited:
im not determined at all to work at the company, im just need to evaluate my options now that things went a little sour.

So things went a little sour after being at a job for two weeks and you're going to quit your job. Is this how you solve most of your problems?
 
Has anyone ever quit a summer internship for any reason. If so is it ever likely they will accept you back as a future pharmacist if you re-apply once you have your PharmD? Also should you put the time you stayed on your resume? I look forward to hearing what it is you have to say.

There are plenty of pharmacies out there. Losing one won't kill you. Plus, five years down the road, who knows? It depends on the company, and what their re-hire policy is.
 
My opinion... summer is short; finish out the summer with a good attitude. Work hard and when you leave, you will have left on good terms. Jobs are not always great, but since this one is so short term, just make the best of it and get through it.

They say pharmacy is a small world, at least it is in my neck of the woods. No need to burn bridges if you don't have to. You never know, there may be a dream job that you don't get one day JUST because you pissed off one person the summer after your 1st year of pharmacy school. Probably not as dramatic as all that, but you only have about 6 weeks left. Suck it up and stick it out.

Again, just my opinion.
 
how about you post elsewhere, it is of my opinion that your posts are rarely substantive!

On the contrary, his posts are usually authoritative, but only occasionally relevant. but how many of his flirts/ smart alec posts are you counting ?
 
Last edited:
I agree with people who said you should suck it up and do your best for the rest of the summer. (Unless you already quit) I was very disappointed at the lack of professionalism when I first started working at a pharmacy too. But instead of judging, just set your own example by treating patients the way they ought to be treated. If you are a worthy example, people will soon follow. And don't fight your co-workers, you need them to be on your side. Also, your co-workers are more likely to follow your good example, if you're actually on good terms with them.

And for the future, don't expect your future co-workers to be all on the same page as you. Expect to change how you are going to react to co-workers who are going to piss you off. I think you will be fine in getting a job in the future. If they need you, they will hire you.
 
Buddy,

Why are you so determined to work for this company? Which company is it by the way? If you say CVS, walgreens, rite aid, etc., I will hate you.

I don,t follow can you elaborate on this statement? By the way, its not that im determined to work there but instead im determined not to burn bridges, which obviously didn't work very well for me.
 
how about you post elsewhere, it is of my opinion that your posts are rarely substantive!

I could not have been any more direct to your response. I said for you to forget it and get a job elsewhere because you've burned bridges.

Evidently you don't fully understand HR.

More often than not, either you have an exit interview or not, big companies will keep your HR file which will either state "eligible for rehire or not."

If you left on bad terms as you describe, your manager may have marked you as ineligible for rehire...which means you'll never work for them ever unless you go into witness protection program and get you a new identity.

Now, if this was a small company or an independent....who cares.

Do you not think when I said

forget it dude. get a job elsewhere.

I was not being substantive?

So the real question is, how did your ex-manager classify you... eligible or not? That is the question you should ask. Not if some of us have been fired under circumstances like you...which will be quite rare amongst this elite group of pharmacy posters.
 
Oh BTW, when your potential new employers are calling around for a reference and if they were to call your old employer, they'll most likely call the HR in which the HR will only respond when you worked for them and if you're eligible for rehire or not. They won't go into details of why and how you left.
 
Oh BTW, when your potential new employers are calling around for a reference and if they were to call your old employer, they'll most likely call the HR in which the HR will only respond when you worked for them and if you're eligible for rehire or not. They won't go into details of why and how you left.

Sorry StaviZ, I didn't mean to be harsh. But when you say that I left on bad terms, what does that mean? I left volunterily and tried to do everything they asked of me to leave on good terms. With regard to HR don't they only put you on the do not rehire list for repeated violations of company policy. Yes this is all very new to me, and contrary to what i may have said earlier i do value your posts (when I can understand them at least). lol
 
Sorry StaviZ, I didn't mean to be harsh. But when you say that I left on bad terms, what does that mean? I left volunterily and tried to do everything they asked of me to leave on good terms. With regard to HR don't they only put you on the do not rehire list for repeated violations of company policy. Yes this is all very new to me, and contrary to what i may have said earlier i do value your posts (when I can understand them at least). lol


Why not call your previous HR and ask if you're eligible for rehire. Heck...get your friend to act like a potential employer and contact the HR and see where you stand. Obviously you have a major case of anxiety over this. We won't have the answer your seeking. Stop wasting your time. Go ask the HR.
 
So, am I understanding this correctly, you just up and quit? No two weeks notice, nothing?