Has anyone gone through a divorce?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zzzzzz

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Wondering if anyone here has gone through a divorce during med school or residency. What was the defining point where you knew you wanted a divorce? How did it affect your work, before and after? Any advice for others like myself, who are heading that direction?

Members don't see this ad.

About to do the same myself. For me, it was like 15 minutes after I got married.

Just get everything finalized before you actually start earning significant income.

twice. when my mom divorced my dad and when my stepdad divorced my mom. sucked each time... except not so bad the second time.. my ex-step dad was a jerk. i hope you do not have kids.. and if you do, i would suggest that you do not argue in front of your kids and hopefully work something out so that you can split the time you spend with them... unless of course your ex is a crack-snorting heroine *****... then perhaps you should get custody ;) kind of kidding there... not really.

This thread makes me want to stay single forever.

:(

I agree. It sucks being alone, but I'd rather be alone and miserable than being made miserable by someone else. I have great friends and a great job. My patients keep me happy. Sometimes.

This thread makes me want to stay single forever.

:(

This thread makes me hope I find a great guy and keep a good marriage. Marriage is tough. For those contemplating divorce, did things move in this direction gradually or was it sudden? Also, did you have any BIG doubts b4 "i do"?

I figure being married is a hassle but being divorced is more of a hassle and hard on kids (if you have any).

Sometimes divorce is the best solution (unless young kids are involved). The only thing worse than being alone is being dragged down to the depths of unbridled darkness by someone who once cared for you.

I got divorced during my first year, but it had already been heading that way long before med school. It did suck... but I am sooooo much happier now than then!!!. I agree with a previous poster... I'd rather be single and miserable (which I wasn't), than married and being made miserable.

I agree with the comments made so far. I also would rather be single and miserable (at times) than to be made miserable by another person during an important transitional point. I read the following post, and although I don't agree with all of it, I think it makes a good point: never sacrifice your ambitions for a (wo)man.

"An attending once told us about a resident he trained with who left residency because he wanted to spend more time with his gal. Turns out a few years later they broke up anyway. Talk about a double whamee...he gives up his dreams for a chick and she ends up leaving anyway. Never compromise your goals for a woman. Never. I don't care if she's tricked you into believing you've found your "soulmate" or any of that mamby pamby junk. They're replacable but they want to convince you otherwise. Christian Barnard [renowned surgeon] replaced them like every other month." "

-Courtesy of Misterioso