Has anyone heard about interviews for Penn?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nychilla

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've heard from Cornell and Tufts, but not a peep from Penn. I called them last week, and they said they were just starting to send out interview letters.

If anyone out there can throw some examples of interview questions my way, I'd really appreciate it. I'm in interview training mode! In case anyone is interested, the pre-vet club at University of Florida has some sample interview questions posted on their website http://grove.ufl.edu/~prevet/interviews.htm. I don't know what year those samples questions are from.

Members don't see this ad.

nychilla said:
I've heard from Cornell and Tufts, but not a peep from Penn. I called them last week, and they said they were just starting to send out interview letters.

If anyone out there can throw some examples of interview questions my way, I'd really appreciate it. I'm in interview training mode! In case anyone is interested, the pre-vet club at University of Florida has some sample interview questions posted on their website http://grove.ufl.edu/~prevet/interviews.htm. I don't know what year those samples questions are from.

Hi, thanks for that link (and for your response to my other post as well). I would love to hear some of your answers.

I think the toughest question there is #12: How do you feel about animal testing?

In many cases I would be against it (like for cosmetics), but in others it is necessary for the betterment of science/medicine. For example, I use Frontline flea control for my dogs, but before it came to market I'm sure they had to test it to the point where it caused harm to the test dogs.

Would it be okay to give a "yes and no" type answer like that?

does anyone know what penn is up to? i havent heard a word from them and am getting antsy... :scared:

nychilla said:

Members don't see this ad :)
youthman said:
I think the toughest question there is #12: How do you feel about animal testing?

In many cases I would be against it (like for cosmetics), but in others it is necessary for the betterment of science/medicine. For example, I use Frontline flea control for my dogs, but before it came to market I'm sure they had to test it to the point where it caused harm to the test dogs.

Would it be okay to give a "yes and no" type answer like that?

I think a nuanced answer is perfectly appropriate. Generally, I think they care more that you give a well-thought-out response than the "right answer". Saying that you oppose animal testing for cosmetics but accept its necessity for the development of animal pharmaceuticals is very reasonable and indicates that you have thought about the issue.

Julia22 said:
does anyone know what penn is up to? i havent heard a word from them and am getting antsy... :scared:

Finally heard from Penn, as have all of the NYS people I've talked to. From what I've heard, they interviewed all the pennsylvania people first, now they're hitting the 2nd or 3rd tier of applicants. They interview through the end of March and have a sort of rolling admissions throughout Feb and March. My interview is on the 4th - I can post questions. Would appreciate if anyone interviewing earlier than that would do the same.

Thanks!

Julia22 said:

Hey, so I am out-of-state applicant and kind of nervous because I have not heard from Penn yet . . . Not to be PESSIMISTIC about my delayed letter, but....has anyone recieved rejection letters from Penn yet? :( Im just trying to see if rejection letters are delayed...or if they are equally scattered throughout the mailing process.

Darla

nychilla said:
Finally heard from Penn, as have all of the NYS people I've talked to. From what I've heard, they interviewed all the pennsylvania people first, now they're hitting the 2nd or 3rd tier of applicants. They interview through the end of March and have a sort of rolling admissions throughout Feb and March. My interview is on the 4th - I can post questions. Would appreciate if anyone interviewing earlier than that would do the same.

Thanks!

Hey NYChilla,
Sounds like we have similar interests. Are you going to do Vet Public Health?
I only ask because I have a MPH degree also. Sadly, I didn't get into Tufts or Cornell. In your mind what made you a oustanding candidate? I am still waiting on Penn because unforetunately I am a CA resident. I talked to one of the deans there but I wasn't sure what he was talking about when he said I would probably get an interview but in late March, after UC Davis..? huh?
I'm dying to find out about Penn because its my #1 or #2.
Are you consideing Davis also? did you apply to Colorado?

ghostsamurai said:
Hey NYChilla,
Sounds like we have similar interests. Are you going to do Vet Public Health?
I only ask because I have a MPH degree also. Sadly, I didn't get into Tufts or Cornell. In your mind what made you a oustanding candidate? I am still waiting on Penn because unforetunately I am a CA resident. I talked to one of the deans there but I wasn't sure what he was talking about when he said I would probably get an interview but in late March, after UC Davis..? huh?
I'm dying to find out about Penn because its my #1 or #2.
Are you consideing Davis also? did you apply to Colorado?

Hi ghostsamurai (good name),

Well, I'm not sure what made me a good candidate from an admissions point of view. I've had a lot of time to think about my career and didn't take my decision to apply to vet school very lightly. I tried to get as much and as varied veterinary experience as possible, not just for my application - but for my own piece of mind. I truly feel that this is the right path for me, and I think/hope that came across in my application essays.

I have given thought to Vet Public Health, but must confess that I don't know enough about the types of jobs out there to decide if I'm going to concentrate there. I really want to be involved in clinical care, so I could see myself pursuing a position that combines direct patient care with clinical research. I'm sure I'll change my mind a million times when I'm in school - so I'm can't commit to anything right now.

Sorry, didn't apply to Davis or Colorado - being a NY State resident, thought my chances would be slim. There are usually financial incentives for attending the school in your home/contract state so Penn may be assuming you'll go to Davis if accepted.

Let me know how things go! Best of luck!

Hey everyone :) Like some of you, I have yet to hear from Penn...does anyone know more about their process? It really seems strange to me..
I am curious to know just how late into March they actually hold interviews? I never imagined that they would have interviews any later than the 3rd week of March..but even that sounds late in the process..Do any of you know more about this?? Thanks so much and good luck to everyone!

Take care :)