Has anyone heard anything from SUNY Upstate?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chris1010

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering if anyone who interviewed in October at SUNY Upstate has heard anything regarding a decision yet? I interviewed in the second week of October and they said we should hear in two weeks and if we don't hear within three weeks we can call to find out. I just wondered if I should call or wait it out?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I interviewed at Upstate on Oct 18. and I received a phone call from them a week later notifying my acceptance. I would probably call after 3 weeks without hearing anything.

Thanks for your response. I called and they told me "it doesn't look like you have gone to committee yet, and there isn't really anything else I can tell you at this time." But at the interview we were told we would go to committee within the next two weeks...I don't get it!

Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed on the 19th and got a call on October 27th, but I didn't talk to anyone until Nov. 1 - my first acceptance!

Just a quick question for the people that were called. Did they leave a message if no one was home?

Thanks

They called my cell at 7:30pm and left a message "re:my application" and told me to call back several agonizing days later. I was surprised it was an acceptance call because I had not completed my campus selection given to you during interviews and without which they claimed they would not review your file - guess they are less strict with that than it seems! Good luck!

Okay, so this might be a little out of place on this thread, but I just got a voicemail from Jim...or Bob...or someone from SUNY Upstate...Is this how they invite for an interview? Please?

chris1010 said:
I was just wondering if anyone who interviewed in October at SUNY Upstate has heard anything regarding a decision yet? I interviewed in the second week of October and they said we should hear in two weeks and if we don't hear within three weeks we can call to find out. I just wondered if I should call or wait it out?

Thanks.

Yes, Great NEWS....I'm on HOLD.......Wow, can you believe it. .....I am so excited........I can't believe it. I'm on hold pre-interview. Wow, I'm so lucky. I'm good as in.....

seethrew said:
They called my cell at 7:30pm and left a message "re:my application" and told me to call back several agonizing days later. I was surprised it was an acceptance call because I had not completed my campus selection given to you during interviews and without which they claimed they would not review your file - guess they are less strict with that than it seems! Good luck!

Thanks! Have you decided whether or not you'll be attending Upstate? Congrats!

ajt2003 said:
Okay, so this might be a little out of place on this thread, but I just got a voicemail from Jim...or Bob...or someone from SUNY Upstate...Is this how they invite for an interview? Please?

I'm not 100% sure but in my case, it was Jim who called to inform I had been selected for an interview. I hope it means good news for you. Good Luck! :)

Jim calls to inform people if they have been selected for interviews. I'm pretty sure that Jennifer calls to inform people if they have been accepted. With regards to how long to wait before calling: I think Jennifer it would probably be best to give it at least 3 weeks before calling, and waiting 4 couldn't hurt (certainly no less than 2). I wish you all the best of luck and invite anyone with questions about Upstate to PM me. Have a great night.

0099900 said:
Thanks! Have you decided whether or not you'll be attending Upstate? Congrats!

Thanks! I'm not sure yet. I still have a few more cards to be dealt before I know what hand I'm playing with. If I end up going SUNY, it will be there, I plan on withdrawing from all other SUNYs.

Does anyone know what proportion of the entering class is saved for non-NY residents?

Members don't see this ad :)
UpstateMS said:
Jim calls to inform people if they have been selected for interviews. I'm pretty sure that Jennifer calls to inform people if they have been accepted. With regards to how long to wait before calling: I think Jennifer it would probably be best to give it at least 3 weeks before calling, and waiting 4 couldn't hurt (certainly no less than 2). I wish you all the best of luck and invite anyone with questions about Upstate to PM me. Have a great night.

Wow! That IS great news. I'll give Jim a buzz back manana...thanks for the tip and for the offer to help out with SUNY Upstate questions -- I might PM you soon!

I interviewed October 20th, received a call the 27th. Has anybody who got called the 27th or later gotten anything in the mail from them yet?

cornell2004 said:
I interviewed October 20th, received a call the 27th. Has anybody who got called the 27th or later gotten anything in the mail from them yet?

I interviewed in October and got news within two weeks.

So is it bad news if I interviewed the second week of October and haven't heard yet? I called yesterday and they said "I hadn't gone to Committee yet." I was under the impression I would've gone to Committee awhile ago. Any thoughts?

I'm scheduled to interview in January! I hope all the seats aren't gone by then. Can I pm any of you for some tips? I never had a formal interview before and i need help!

chris1010 said:
So is it bad news if I interviewed the second week of October and haven't heard yet? I called yesterday and they said "I hadn't gone to Committee yet." I was under the impression I would've gone to Committee awhile ago. Any thoughts?

My news wasn't an acceptance, so I don't think length of time to notification means anything.

Arb said:
Does anyone know what proportion of the entering class is saved for non-NY residents?

They do not look at residence when reviewing applications

stinkycheese said:
My news wasn't an acceptance, so I don't think length of time to notification means anything.

Stinkycheese--Did Ms. Welch call you even though you didn't receive an acceptance? Just curious. Thanks!

Out of curiousity, did anyone receive their acceptance call after 2-3 weeks? It seems that everyone who posted and got accepted heard back immediately within the first week?

chris1010 said:
Stinkycheese--Did Ms. Welch call you even though you didn't receive an acceptance? Just curious. Thanks!

I remember hearing Dr. Keating say that they call everyone who gets accepted but I don't think they call if you're waitlisted or rejected. You get notified by snail mail. I'm not 100% sure but that was the impression I got.

For me three weeks post-interview was November 3rd and I got a call from Ms. Welch on November 5th telling me that I was accepted and I can actually say that I AM GOING TO BE A DOCTOR---Happiest day of my life!! So I don't necessarily think the 2-3 weeks is precise. Just my two cents...Good luck to everyone waiting!

chris1010 said:
For me three weeks post-interview was November 3rd and I got a call from Ms. Welch on November 5th telling me that I was accepted and I can actually say that I AM GOING TO BE A DOCTOR---Happiest day of my life!! So I don't necessarily think the 2-3 weeks is precise. Just my two cents...Good luck to everyone waiting!

oh cool! Awesome .... Congrats :)

We do get through the majority of applicants within 2 weeks. We may not have had everything we need to take you to committee within that amount of time. That is why I ask students to call if they don't hear within 3 weeks.
You are welcome to call to discuss with me if you still haven't heard.
chris1010 said:
Thanks for your response. I called and they told me "it doesn't look like you have gone to committee yet, and there isn't really anything else I can tell you at this time." But at the interview we were told we would go to committee within the next two weeks...I don't get it!

We do review your application, but you will not get your acceptance letter until we receive that form. During the information sessions I do say the admissions committee doe not know what campus you preference, but you will not hear from the Admissions Committee (your acceptance letter) until we have that form.
QUOTE=seethrew]They called my cell at 7:30pm and left a message "re:my application" and told me to call back several agonizing days later. I was surprised it was an acceptance call because I had not completed my campus selection given to you during interviews and without which they claimed they would not review your file - guess they are less strict with that than it seems! Good luck![/QUOTE]

chris1010 said:

I know what you mean. I just got "THE CALL" tonight and all I have to say is this is one day I'll NEVER FORGET ........ hehehe !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good Luck to everyone who is waiting! ;)

Congrats to all who have positive news - upstate is great school. Hang in there for those who didn't

My three week mark was this past Wednesday. Just called, they have everything they need, and nice lady said "should just hold on and you should hearing from us soon". Didn't even ask if I had been reviewed or gone to committee or if decision reached b/c the wrong response would have ruined my weekend (plus I know that they are limited to info they can share).

000999000, when did you interview?

Good luck all.

hi Upstateadmiss,

can you tell me what fraction of the SUNY-Upstate applicants put on pre-interview hold actually get interviews?

thanks

Hey Milan!

I interviewed there on Oct. 25th and was accepted Nov 10th. I agree with you that Upstate is a great school. I've interviewed at other schools and I have to say the group of medical students and admissions' staff I met at Upstate were just so much more friendly and down to earth. On top of that, I got to see their wicked brand new 3.6 million dollar Anatomy lab :D. I was genuinely impressed!

Anyhow, hang in there ... hope you get that "CALL" too!!! ;)

Holy crap, am I the only loser from SDN who DIDN'T get into Syracuse?

stinkycheese said:
Holy crap, am I the only loser from SDN who DIDN'T get into Syracuse?

If it makes you feel any better, I'm an august mcater in a pre-interview hold at Upstate, and waiting to hear from them in the next few weeks. :luck:

Tristy said:
If it makes you feel any better, I'm an august mcater in a pre-interview hold at Upstate, and waiting to hear from them in the next few weeks. :luck:

I have heard that it is not uncommon to get an interview later in the season if you're on a hold list. Good luck.

Hey Upstateadmiss,
I don't know if you remember me, but a vietnamese interviewee and I came into your office on September 10th just to thank you for having us. Anyway, I was placed on the HPA list, i just wanted to know how good of a chance is there to recieve an acceptance off that list? Thanks in advance for your reply.

I found some stats from this thread:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/sho...t=Applied+Interviewed+Accepted+Enrolled+STATS

I think the numbers are # Applied / Interviewed / Offered
"Someone mentioned that Upstate got skipped...here are the stats from the 2004-5 MSAR:

Total: 2391 584 "new entrants" 153
Instate: 1620 479 465
Out of State: 771 105 21

Sorry it doesn't list the actual accepted #'s"

It looks like that if you are instate and got an interview 97% of people get in. My question is are these numbers accurate? Like I said i just found them on an old thread. I am out of state and have an interview, but was sorta disapointed that only 1 out of 5 get in after the interview stage. Can anyone verify these stats as I don't have the MSAR book? Also, I have a friend who is interested in the international stats as well, unless SUNY Upstate includes internationals as out of state then nevermind. Lastly, what % of the class is out of state?
Later, Cause

cause2003 said:
I found some stats from this thread:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/sho...t=Applied+Interviewed+Accepted+Enrolled+STATS

I think the numbers are # Applied / Interviewed / Offered
"Someone mentioned that Upstate got skipped...here are the stats from the 2004-5 MSAR:

Total: 2391 584 "new entrants" 153
Instate: 1620 479 465
Out of State: 771 105 21

Sorry it doesn't list the actual accepted #'s"

It looks like that if you are instate and got an interview 97% of people get in. My question is are these numbers accurate? Like I said i just found them on an old thread. I am out of state and have an interview, but was sorta disapointed that only 1 out of 5 get in after the interview stage. Can anyone verify these stats as I don't have the MSAR book? Also, I have a friend who is interested in the international stats as well, unless SUNY Upstate includes internationals as out of state then nevermind. Lastly, what % of the class is out of state?
Later, Cause

The class of 2008 profile was:

Applicants 2,896
New York State Residents 1,725
Out of State Residents 1,171
Entering Class 152
New York State Residents 123
Out of State Residents 29
Total GPA 3.60
Science GPA 3.52
Non-Science GPA 3.70

For the class of 2007, (from usnews)

Out of State:

Applied 754
Interviewed 145
Accepted 59
Enrolled 21
Hope that helps and Good Luck on your interview :)

Thanks, that's what I needed.
-Cause

0099900 said:
The class of 2008 profile was:

Applicants 2,896
New York State Residents 1,725
Out of State Residents 1,171
Entering Class 152
New York State Residents 123
Out of State Residents 29
Total GPA 3.60
Science GPA 3.52
Non-Science GPA 3.70

For the class of 2007, (from usnews)

Out of State:

Applied 754
Interviewed 145
Accepted 59
Enrolled 21
Hope that helps and Good Luck on your interview :)

I am really not sure yet - touch base with me after the new year. I may have better information for you.
Just Applied said:
Hey Upstateadmiss,
I don't know if you remember me, but a vietnamese interviewee and I came into your office on September 10th just to thank you for having us. Anyway, I was placed on the HPA list, i just wanted to know how good of a chance is there to recieve an acceptance off that list? Thanks in advance for your reply.

Has anyone who interviewed the week of Nov. 1 - 3 heard anything?

Vintage_66 said:
Has anyone who interviewed the week of Nov. 1 - 3 heard anything?

i interviewed the week after you did and i'm still waiting to hear.

Just curious ... for the students that were accepted, how long was it before you received your "welcome package"? :)

Good luck to all those who are still waiting!

0099900 said:
Just curious ... for the students that were accepted, how long was it before you received your "welcome package"? :)

Good luck to all those who are still waiting!

I was accepted October 27th by phone, got my package November 6th

I interviewed Oct.13th and was accepted November 5th. My "welcome package" came Nov. 10th but was dated Nov. 8th. It seems like they send them out fairly quickly. Hope that helps and good luck to those still waiting!

chris1010 said:
I interviewed Oct.13th and was accepted November 5th. My "welcome package" came Nov. 10th but was dated Nov. 8th. It seems like they send them out fairly quickly. Hope that helps and good luck to those still waiting!

Thanks Guys! Does anyone know if final transcripts must be submitted for accepted applicants who have already graduated? I'm asking because I graduated in 2003 so my transcript would be identical plus my school charges $ 8 bucks for each transcript! blah!

I'll be totally honest....I began this process thinking Upstate and Downstate were safeties. Not the case. Luckily, I got in at my top out-of-state school. I love Upstate, especially the satff/admin, but I HATE downstate. As some people put it, the "We'll call you, don't call us SUNY" can bite it. Idiots. What a message to send to prospective students. They get what they deserve. Anyway...Upstate rocks, hope I and you guys get in, don't think I'll end up going, but the best SUNY imo.

Does anyone know how much the deposit is and how long Upstate gives you to submit it? Thanks for the help

The deposit is $100 and is expected 2 weeks after receipt of the welcome package and is refundable before May 15th.