Has Anyone Received a Waitlist Email from Miami

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

movingonup

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is what mine said:

The Admissions Committee at the University of Miami School of Medicine has finished evaluating
your application for the class entering in 2004. Although your application for admission received an
excellent rating from the Committee, our class is temporarily full. This happened after you had been
here for your interview and was caused in large part by the AAMC "traffic rule" that requires all
medical schools to issue a number of acceptances at least equal to the number of students in their
incoming classes by March 15. As an unpleasant consequence for us both, I must place you at least
temporarily on our alternate list.

Does yours say the same thing?

Members don't see this ad.

:eek:

hhmmmm....nope yours is better than mine....

So, I guess the fact that they were supposed to meet on me by Feb. 18, and it's now April 2nd, and they still haven't met...well, that's probably not helping my chances of being accepted.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by avicoo
:eek:

hhmmmm....nope yours is better than mine....

avicoo,
Were you put on the waitlist at UM also?? What did YOUR email say?

Originally posted by mosfet
avicoo,

Let me see if I can remember......
Dear avicoo,
The Admissions Committee at the University of Miami School of Medicine has finished evaluating your application for the class entering in 2004. During the day you interviewed, we noticed that you are very short and also we just didn't like you. However, we really do not like to reject people post-interview and our admissions policy requires me to inform you of a decision so I am emailing to say that you have been placed on the alternate list.

:p

Originally posted by mosfet
avicoo,

Were you accepted or waitlisted at UM?

Originally posted by avicoo
Let me see if I can remember......
Dear avicoo,
The Admissions Committee at the University of Miami School of Medicine has finished evaluating your application for the class entering in 2004. During the day you interviewed, we noticed that you are very short and also we just didn't like you. However, we really do not like to reject people post-interview and our admissions policy requires me to inform you of a decision so I am emailing to say that you have been placed on the alternate list.

:p

Wow, you must be reeeeally short, otherwise they wouldn't have been so repulsive about your height.

Originally posted by MabdulD
So, I guess the fact that they were supposed to meet on me by Feb. 18, and it's now April 2nd, and they still haven't met...well, that's probably not helping my chances of being accepted.

Your status page hasn't changed??

mabdulD-
you should write the support staff an email asking them about your status. the admissions committee meets every wednedsay and i believe most people have heard back from hinkley in fairly narrow time frame around which he said you would hear back. therefore, it is possible that the lack of communication with you represents some type of error. also, has there been any change to your online status page?

Originally posted by zinjanthropus
mabdulD-
you should write the support staff an email asking them about your status. the admissions committee meets every wednedsay and i believe most people have heard back from hinkley in fairly narrow time frame around which he said you would hear back. therefore, it is possible that the lack of communication with you represents some type of error. also, has there been any change to your online status page?

Actually I interviewed Jan 31st and didn't hear back untill yesterday... they told me March 4th... They were a month late. They told me March 18th, then march 24th.

Everytime I called they told me that my app was not up for review yet.

When I called last week they finally told me that my application was going to be discussed...

Can someone post a link to the status page? Thanks.

I've been waiting to hear from Miami also....applied late to UM, which was a bad idea being I'm from out of state. Anyone know what the deal is with the "Ranked list" for an interview? I know it's late in the game, but does anyone know if they are still interviewing?

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by HBMD
I've been waiting to hear from Miami also....applied late to UM, which was a bad idea being I'm from out of state. Anyone know what the deal is with the "Ranked list" for an interview? I know it's late in the game, but does anyone know if they are still interviewing?

yeah, they are interviewing until April 16th.

If they are full (which I'm sure they are) then why are they bothering to interview me? I just got the invite two days ago and my interview is on the 12th.

just because they are full now does not mean they will stay full. its not hard for them to predict based on past years how many people will give up those spots. thus, they need more candidates for admission to fill the spots when they become vacant.

Originally posted by zinjanthropus
mabdulD-

I called twice, actually. They kept pushing back the date. Finally, on Wednesday my status page changed to final ballotting. It's still in final balloting. I don't know what any of this means, but I'm thinking it can't be good. From what the OP said, the best I can hope for at this point is a waitlist. My guess is they were planning on waitlisting me anyway. I would hate to ever find out that I got stuck on the waitlist because they took so long to review my app.

Originally posted by MabdulD
I called twice, actually. They kept pushing back the date. Finally, on Wednesday my status page changed to final ballotting. It's still in final balloting. I don't know what any of this means, but I'm thinking it can't be good. From what the OP said, the best I can hope for at this point is a waitlist. My guess is they were planning on waitlisting me anyway. I would hate to ever find out that I got stuck on the waitlist because they took so long to review my app.

Hey MabdulD,
I interviewed on March 29th and they said I should hear back either on April 14th or April 28th. So I am pretty sure you will hear back on one of those two days. My guess would be April 14th 'cause you said they are already "final balloting" your application.

Does anyone know how the waitlist movement is at UM?

hey - could acceptees to UM post their stats?

thanks!! :)

Madhatter said:
hey - could acceptees to UM post their stats?

thanks!! :)

Mdapplicants.com. It's not everyone, but it's a start.

For those who are waitlisted at UM and vying for an acceptance,
Were you told where you fall on the waitlist? I heard that the waitlist is ranked and that we would be told where we fall...like first tier, second tier...etc. If some of you were told where you fall, how did you obtain the info? Call, write, email, in person. Please respond and thank you.

I don't think UM gives you any indication of where you fall on their waitlist. I got the impression that it is ranked (not sure though), but that they are unwilling to reveal much of anything. I did speak with Dr. Hinkley once on this topic in a somewhat roundabout manner, but I have never called, emailed, or anything else and directly begged for an indication of where I was on the list. So who knows, maybe they will tell you something.

Can anyone give me Dr. Hinkley's email address? I will be re-applying to UM this year and would like to ask him a couple questions.

-thx

I am not sure what his email address is, but if you use the admissions email and put his name in the subject line your email should get to him.

Hey guys,

Below is the wait list email I received from UM back in April. Is this the same one you've received? I ask because I saw one posted earlier on SDN that sounded MUCH better. By the way, I called UM today (5/14/04) and the secretary told me that they still haven't even touched the waiting list. When I asked her if there had been a lot of activity in terms of people withdrawing their acceptances, she seemed surprised that I had asked her that and basically just said that UM was still in the process of making admissions decisions. Whatever... I've had my heart set on this med school since middle school, it just bothers me that the feeling isn't mutual. :laugh:

Alex:

Last night the Admissions Committee at the University of Miami School of
Medicine finished evaluating your application for the class entering in 2004.
In accordance with the rules of procedure established by the Committee, I must
inform you that they have placed you on the alternate list.

If you have an interest in maintaining your status as an alternate to the 2004
entering class, you must inform us of your interest in writing as soon as
possible. Only students who notify us of their desire to be placed on the
alternate will be considered further. Notification by email is perfectly
acceptable. Just send a message to [email protected]. It should be
clearly understood that placement on the alternate list does not assure that
you will be admitted and that it may not be possible to make a final decision
for some time. However, we will notify you immediately when there is a change
in your status. Alternatively, if your plans change and you wish to withdraw
from further consideration please notify my office accordingly at the email
address above.

In the meanwhile, you should keep us informed of any grades you receive from
class work in progress, any special recognition or awards you receive, or if
your plans change and you wish to withdraw from further consideration. Also,
be sure to notify AMCAS if your mailing address or telephone number changes.
You should also know that we are opening a satellite program in 2004 on the
campus of Florida Atlantic University in Boca Raton. In this program students
will complete the first two years of the medical curriculum at FAU and the next
two years at the medical campus in Miami. If you have an interest in beginning
your medical studies in Boca Raton, be sure to include that information in your
reply letter. Preliminary information about the UM program at FAU can be found
by clicking on ?UMSM@FAU? at www.miami.edu/medical-admissions.

If you are accepted at some point in the future, you may want to apply for a
scholarship. You can actually do that now by going to www.miami.edu/medical-
admissions/scholarshipform. Filling out the Scholarship Information Form now
will just speed things up later on. It should be clearly understood that
submitting the form plays no role in the admissions process whatsoever!

If you have any questions or need any other information, please call my office
at the number below.

Sincerely,

Robert Hinkley, Ph.D.
Associate Dean for Admissions
University of Miami School of Medicine
305-243-3234

I got accepted. Thank you to everyone on this board.

Indebt4Life said:
I got accepted. Thank you to everyone on this board.

Check your PM.

Congrats, InDebt4Life! I hope I can say the same soon. Did Dr. Hinkley call you himself? Or did you have to call?

Thanks everyone !! for the warm welcome and congrats. I received a call this morning. It was the happiest moment of my life. Tears of joy and everything. Good luck to everyone. I hope that everyone who deserves to get in, gets a call. "crosses fingers"

Go CANES!!!

:clap: :clap:

Congratulations, Indebt4Life!

Indebt4Life said:
Thanks everyone !! for the warm welcome and congrats. I received a call this morning. It was the happiest moment of my life. Tears of joy and everything. Good luck to everyone. I hope that everyone who deserves to get in, gets a call. "crosses fingers"

Go CANES!!!

Thanks for the info and the encouragment!

InDebt4Life - did you have a choice concerning which campus to start out at? Just curious. Feel free not to respond if you prefer because I don't mean to put you on the spot.

Guys, I just got accepted into UM! I had been on the alternate list for over a month and then I got the call this morning. If you're on the alternate list at UM and its your number one choice, make sure you send Dr.Hinkley emails and letters letting him know this. I sent an email on Monday after Indebt4life got in and no joke... less than 48 hours later I was pulled out the wait list. I'M SOOOOO HAPPY! I'm from Miami so this really is HUGE for me! :D :D :D

Dr.Hinkley didnt ask me which campus I wanted but I'm sure that when I get the official acceptance packet, they'll be a form in there for me to pick Jackson or FAU. And just so you know, the status page still says I'm on the alternate list so you'll most likely get a call first before that page updates. If you want to know anything else just PM me or something but if you really want UM, the best advice really is to be proactive and contact Dr.Hinkley and the admissions offce. Goodluck to all of you!!!!!!!! :thumbup:

Oh! Good luck to everyone. And congrats to Arsenic.

Congratulations! I'm still on the waitlist at Miami. Miami is my number one choice, and I hope I get some good news also.

Thanks guys!

The alternate list has definitely started to move now. For those of you who really have your heart set on Miami, I truly hope you get pulled off the list soon. Don't get discouraged, you might just be the next person Dr.Hinkley calls up! ;)

JCDOC 107, Congratulations on your acceptance! I noticed it in another thread.

I got in off the waitlist too! YAY!!!

Only my SO sounded like I kicked his cat when I called to tell him. We were really getting excited about the school I planned to attend so now I am not sure what I will do. (No question though I feel amazingly lucky to have gotten into ANY school much less to have a choice!)

I still can't believe it. WOO HOO!!!!

To Avicoo and JCDOC 107 CONGRATS GUYS :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Other people on waitlist. Keep the hope alive. Write letters and make phone calls. Good luck :luck:

avicoo said:
JCDOC 107, Congratulations on your acceptance! I noticed it in another thread.

I got in off the waitlist too! YAY!!!

Only my SO sounded like I kicked his cat when I called to tell him. We were really getting excited about the school I planned to attend so now I am not sure what I will do. (No question though I feel amazingly lucky to have gotten into ANY school much less to have a choice!)

I still can't believe it. WOO HOO!!!!

Congrats guys! :clap:

Avicoo, I completely understand what you meant when you said your SO acted like you kicked his cat when you told him. :laugh: My girlfriend reacted the same way when I told her I was going to go to Tufts! We actually broke up back in April, we had only been dating for like 3 months and neither one of us wanted to do the long distance thing. One month later... I get called up by UMSM. :eek: Good luck with your decision, I hope it all works out with your SO regardless of where you end up going. I just hope you pick UMSM! ;)

Arsenic810 said:
Congrats guys! :clap:

Avicoo, I completely understand what you meant when you said your SO acted like you kicked his cat when you told him. :laugh: My girlfriend reacted the same way when I told her I was going to go to Tufts! We actually broke up back in April, we had only been dating for like 3 months and neither one of us wanted to do the long distance thing. One month later... I get called up by UMSM. :eek: Good luck with your decision, I hope it all works out with your SO regardless of where you end up going. I just hope you pick UMSM! ;)

Arsenic810, thanks and sorry to hear about your relationship. Did you already live in Miami then?
I am definitely leaning towards Miami, but we plan on go through all the pros and cons tonight. Hopefully, I will make a decision tonight or tomorrow.

Whoa, alot of people applying to UM!

I am glad you dumped that floozy. And you know who was also glad. :love:

Still waiting and it is middle of July. I really want to go to Miami.
Any advice. Does anyone know if the waitlist moves just before classes start?

QWER said:
Still waiting and it is middle of July. I really want to go to Miami.
Any advice. Does anyone know if the waitlist moves just before classes start?

Qwer,
Ppl are still getting pulled from the waitlist. Don't give up hope. Keep writing lettters of interest and start calling the adcom everyday. :luck: