has anyone still not heard from penn?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

soxbox

CSU PVM Class of '11
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
so im sure i am rejected... i just do not know why i have not received my letter yet? I know 3 people (and people have posted on here) that they have received their rejections last week... so why oh why is penn just dragging this process out? I would like to close this chapter if you will :)

The only thing I can think of is maybe they never got my little postcard and maybe my application was just put in a "not interested" pile... though I would still think as a formality they would send a rejection letter??

Members don't see this ad.

I haven't heard anything from them. I've e-mailed them and no reply, either. They suck. :thumbup:

i am in the same boat, too. i just posted on the Penn holds thread asking whether or not those who are now receiving alternate letters were interviewed or not...this sucks! please post if you get a response to your email! are you both out of state?

Members don't see this ad :)
it is so rotten of them to not even have the decency to send out rejection letters....grrrr they can just.....yeah.....

There must be a reason that they haven't sent all of the rejection letters out. Maybe they're keeping a pool of applicants being that they accepted so many out of each interview group and don't have a large alternate pool this year? I know I received my rejection after the last group of interviews then there was a couple week wait and others said they received their rejection letters. I just don't understand why they didn't send them out all at once?

hey guys, i was put on hold too and i just got my letter (yesturday) asking if id like to be on the alternate list, i emailed them and they said it was the same thing as a waiting list. I live in philly so i bet everyone will be getting their letters in the next few days.

i also have yet to hear anything, and i'm on long island...

I've heard absolutely zilch. I was accepted and now am enrolled in my state school but I have to agree that Penn does suck! :thumbdown:

VA-MD (class of 2011! Yeah!) kept me constantly updated. I always knew when things were coming out. I had a name, e-mail address and number to reach someone at and when I did e-mail her I got prompt replies.

Penn was my first choice at first (I love New Bolton!) but after this situation of absolutely no help and living in the dark I wouldn't go there if they begged me. Now, maybe if they paid all my tuition and living expenses... ;)

I wish they had a way to rate colleges on VMCAS. I think it would be an eye opener for a lot of people.

There must be a reason that they haven't sent all of the rejection letters out. Maybe they're keeping a pool of applicants being that they accepted so many out of each interview group and don't have a large alternate pool this year? I know I received my rejection after the last group of interviews then there was a couple week wait and others said they received their rejection letters. I just don't understand why they didn't send them out all at once?

I know your probably right....there has to be some reason why they are holding off on us.....everyone else seems to have gotten rejection letters already. (I live in Philly as well and I havent heard a peep...maybe tomorrow) Its funny because I've been saying all these things for the past couple weeks......"just send a letter already" kinds of stuff......good to know I'm not the only one. Good luck everybody, no matter where you end up.

My question is- do you think there is some advantage to the schools by not notifying everyone one way or another? Could they be keeping these people in a "back pocket" in case they dont fill the class... is it simple oversight... or just plain rude?

I think it's just plain rude! Now, maybe it's because I'm sour over being on the alternate list and I know at least I did hear from them, and I was on hold after my interview, but they seem be the worst school in terms of letting people know what's up. I've seen many Penn complaint threads and they just seem to like to operate on their own schedules without regards just because they are Penn. They don't seem to even like emails, everything comes out on ancient post! On the other hand, Cornell managed to send out everything by January, without the frustrating, I'll make you all wait because I can, attitude.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think it's just plain rude! Now, maybe it's because I'm sour over being on the alternate list and I know at least I did hear from them, and I was on hold after my interview, but they seem be the worst school in terms of letting people know what's up. I've seen many Penn complaint threads and they just seem to like to operate on their own schedules without regards just because they are Penn. They don't seem to even like emails, everything comes out on ancient post! On the other hand, Cornell managed to send out everything by January, without the frustrating, I'll make you all wait because I can, attitude.

Atleast you had an interview....some of us havent had interviews and are sitting on whatever waiting to see what they are doing with us.....since I believe there are no more intereviews....Penn does have their own system of contacting and its almost arrogance; they call people the next day.....each interviewer calls the ones they want....they cant possibly have time to reconvien and discuss the topic. No sending a letter since november is kind of frustrating because you are like well they got the application but......am i waitlisted, rejected, do I get an interview??? or as was mentioned earlier put in the back pocket incase then need to fill the class.

Good luck though.

I'm also in state and have heard absolutely nothing, I haven't had an interview and know that I am rejected but it would be nice to check them off the damn list!

I wish they had a way to rate colleges on VMCAS. I think it would be an eye opener for a lot of people.

Haha, that would be the most biased thing ever. The school who rejects the most people would get the worst ratings :rolleyes:

I don't know... I was rejected by one school, that I would not rate negatively. They were timely and professional, no reason for negativity. I have to admit the people that have posted here have a point....

I was rejected from Penn and I still adore the school and would rank it highly. Granted, they responded to my emails/phone calls very promptly (usually within an hour), and I was rejected just when I thought I would be (I assumed they would end interviews last week of Feb/first week of March). I can understand why you would be upset if they hadn't notified you yet, but I've always had an odd affinity for Penn and I think it would be hard to change my opinion of the school.

It's interesting, as from what I understand Davis has basically done the same thing. I pulled my app when I got into CO so this is second hand, but they sent an email out back when saying they had everything. Then, if you are apparently rejected (ie no interview at this point) there has been no other information from them - insert crickets chirping here. I don't hear a lot of complaints about them on here though. And I think it's the same sort of thing people are discussing with Penn - too big for their britches thinking they are the be all and end all. Of course, that's just my opinion and admittedly was before this (part of the reason I pulled my app even though they are my in state school). ;)

Haha, that would be the most biased thing ever. The school who rejects the most people would get the worst ratings :rolleyes:
I agree with horsybaby about being rejected from other schools and not having a problem with them because of the attitude. I never said Penn wasnt a good school, they are one of the best and getting better, but their admissions process could use some work and they know it too. For anyone applying to penn next year they will make an attempt to expand their class size.....at least that's what the dean said during her yearly address. All I want is some notice, heck even LSU took a really long time but at least sent an e-mail saying some sort of time line. I'm not really angry or anything, just blowing off some steam while I wait out the remaining letters and make my final desicion.

Well...keep in mind that they only have 2 admissions people and over 1500 applications. I definitely wouldn't want their jobs. Also, their admissions process is so spread out that they can't send out a single timeline, because it's different for different groups. I really don't think they're trying to be inconsiderate, they're probably just swamped. They probably do need to hire another admissions person...but then they would need to start charging for a supplemental application, so I dunno. Anyway, they're required to let you know by April 1st, so you should find out soon...

That's very true. Penn is one of the few schools that don't charge a supplemental fee. Many of the schools charge the fee while not getting any relevant information; as I was filling out OSU's supplemental I found it odd that I had answered every single question that they asked on the VMCAS already.

On a side note, I will be leaving for spring break tomorrow morning and I don't know how to handle not having a computer to check SDN every five minutes; hopefully I'll have lots of interesting posts to come back to (It's a sad addiction) ;).

Haven't heard a single thing since the little card that was sent. Pretty sure I'm rejected by now. If I don't receive a single thing from them by the end of March, UPenn is very unprofessional in just rejecting people and not notifying them.

Haven't heard a single thing since the little card that was sent. Pretty sure I'm rejected by now. If I don't receive a single thing from them by the end of March, UPenn is very unprofessional in just rejecting people and not notifying them.

I repeat: 2 admissions people, 1500 applications, no supplemental application fee. You get what you pay for.

I believe that Penn does not require a supplemental application, thus there is no need for them to charge a supplemental application fee. Applicants do, however, pay a fee to VMCAS to apply to Penn. Since Penn has chosen to participate in the VMCAS system one would assume/hope that they would complete the application cycle by notifying applicants of their status. After all, no supplemental = more free time for them!

I believe that Penn does not require a supplemental application, thus there is no need for them to charge a supplemental application fee. Applicants do, however, pay a fee to VMCAS to apply to Penn. Since Penn has chosen to participate in the VMCAS system one would assume/hope that they would complete the application cycle by notifying applicants of their status. After all, no supplemental = more free time for them!

As someone already posted, supplemental applications contain much of the same information, and are an excuse to charge more for the application. This was the case in my experience, with the exception of Illinois, who charged me over $50 (I forget exactly what it was) to write a second essay for them.

Lest we forget that the school has no obligation to notify you of anything before April 1st, as is clearly explained in the VMCAS and on their website.

I'm going to stop posting on this thread, because I've already made my point, and [edited out]. :thumbdown:

Hi Folks,

I was at the APVMA Symposium this weekend and Max Keiter was at the Penn exhibit. He said that Friday was the last day for their admissions decisions. Supposedly, acceptances, rejections, and 'waitlists' will start arriving in mailboxes by this Monday.

He explained that people on the 'hold' list should expect to find out which of the three groups they ended up in.

He also said that this has been a horribly competitive year, with a significant increase in applications. I mention this to point out that people still waiting to get in should not feel bad--you may a competitive canididate still or in the future.

So hopefully everyone will hear soon! Good luck!