Has anyone studied for boards during rotations?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

genessis42

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So for usmle, I thought DO students can take them anytime since their school only cares for comlex.

While most DO students take it before level 1, is it possible to study for step during the rotations? I saw some posts where med students did step 1, step 2, and the level 2 at the end if 3rd year.

Members don't see this ad.

I did, but it was extremely hard because I also had to make sure I passed my shelf exams. Ended up pushing my exam multiple times and finally took it at the end of 3rd year and passed. And now preparing to take step 2 and level 2 next week (about 2 and half months from step 1)

I did, but it was extremely hard because I also had to make sure I passed my shelf exams. Ended up pushing my exam multiple times and finally took it at the end of 3rd year and passed. And now preparing to take step 2 and level 2 next week (about 2 and half months from step 1)

That sounds pretty awful, but you made it work. How did you retain all that basic science info thru the year? I would've probably forgot it all afterCOMLEX

I think the future DO classes will have more pressure for Step 2CK because the 1st one will be P/F for them. That's basically just one chance.

Members don't see this ad :)
That sounds pretty awful, but you made it work. How did you retain all that basic science info thru the year? I would've probably forgot it all afterCOMLEX

I think the future DO classes will have more pressure for Step 2CK because the 1st one will be P/F for them. That's basically just one chance.
I kept my Boards and beyond subscription, and I was also doing Uworld questions throughout 3rd year as well. I also did lots of NBME practice tests. Yes, Step 2CK is likely to become the new beast to slay now, but I would still take step 1 even if it's pass/fail because I can see it being an easy way to screen people out in the future.

Reactions: 1 user
A few friends of mine did, it ended up poorly for all of them (n=5). 2 failed.

So for usmle, I thought DO students can take them anytime since their school only cares for comlex.

While most DO students take it before level 1, is it possible to study for step during the rotations? I saw some posts where med students did step 1, step 2, and the level 2 at the end if 3rd year.
It is possible, but it sucks. Depending on what rotation(s) you're on, it can be partially doable. Some of my classmates scheduled cushy 4th year rotations in July to accommodate studying. I don't recommend though.