Has anyone taken biochemistry shelf

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

speedbird1211

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
has anyone taken biochem shelf? i have biochemm shelf next week, any advice would be appretiated.

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

it sucked. Know your genetics and your vitamins and your clinical syndromes. There's some straight up pathway knowledge, but for the most part it was clinical correlates and genetics.

it was pretty tough, thats all I can remember. Yeah, there were quite a few clinical correlation questions

Sometimes, I think they were trying to trick you by putting a lot of clinical irrevelevent info and the question would focus on something else. Might help to read the last sentence of the question then go back through for the revelent info

good luck

Members don't see this ad :)
Read the Board Review Series book for biochemistry. That is pretty much all I did to review and I did well.

When and why would somebody take a shelf exam in biochemistry?

It counted as our biochemistry final, took it at the end of biochemistry right before winter break.

It sucks REAL bad. The curve for our class was insane.

check out USLME first aid's biochem part. google biochemistry board exam and you'll get a dental school biochem practice test with answers, I went over that a little the questions were similar

also make sure you go thru it quick, time is a factor

What about structures - amino acids, etc?

Did anyone find PreTest Biochem helpful?

This might be a ******ed question, but what exactly is "shelf"? Is it just an exam to get people exempt from that course during the regular school year?

This might be a ******ed question, but what exactly is "shelf"? Is it just an exam to get people exempt from that course during the regular school year?

By now, I've learned a lot of medical school lingo - 'boards', 'steps', 'rotations', 'blocks',....but I still don't know 'shelf' :eek:

[hides head in shame] :oops:

they are retired USMLE step1 questions

most med schools use shelf questions as a final comprehensive exam for their course to see how they compare to the national average.