Has anyone taken Physics at Harvard Summer program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

laana

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi. I'm hoping to get some feedback on people's experiences with taking Physics at Harvard summer school. I'm trying to figure out where I should take Physics. It's either at Harvard, or at Tufts. At Harvard it's compressed into approx. 8 weeks, whereas at Tufts it's 12 weeks. I think that the good thing to doing it at Harvard is that then i'd have 1 month of free time to do whatever during the summer. However, i'm concerned about how compressed the material is at H.
Was it very, very difficult at Harvard? Was it do-able? Were you so busy that you weren't able to manage volunteering 4 hours/week, for example? Were you able to get a decent amount of sleep, or found yourself having to stay up late, no matter how organized you were?
What was the name of the prof. who taught it? Did the problem sets contain many "brain teaser" problems that just really consumed a lot of time and were just really hard math problems? Like those "challenge" problems that one can argue was created by the professor for the sake of being a "hard ass?"
If you have any feedback (whether stuff you heard from friends, classmates, or your own firsthand experience) on either the Tufts or Harvard physics course over the summer, i'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks for your help
:luck:

Members don't see this ad.

laana said:
Was it very, very difficult at Harvard? Was it do-able? Were you so busy that you weren't able to manage volunteering 4 hours/week, for example? Were you able to get a decent amount of sleep, or found yourself having to stay up late, no matter how organized you were?
You're asking whether someone lost sleep over one summer school physics class? :laugh:

Same question, same deal, but I would like to learn more about their 8 week chem course.

What do ya think? :confused:

Members don't see this ad :)
laana said:
Hi. I'm hoping to get some feedback on people's experiences with taking Physics at Harvard summer school. I'm trying to figure out where I should take Physics. It's either at Harvard, or at Tufts. At Harvard it's compressed into approx. 8 weeks, whereas at Tufts it's 12 weeks. I think that the good thing to doing it at Harvard is that then i'd have 1 month of free time to do whatever during the summer. However, i'm concerned about how compressed the material is at H.
What was the name of the prof. who taught it? Did the problem sets contain many "brain teaser" problems that just really consumed a lot of time and were just really hard math problems? Like those "challenge" problems that one can argue was created by the professor for the sake of being a "hard ass?"
If you have any feedback (whether stuff you heard from friends, classmates, or your own firsthand experience) on either the Tufts or Harvard physics course over the summer, i'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks for your help
:luck:

Hi,

I didn't take summer physics at Harvard, but I know quite a few ppl who did. The general consensus was that it was very manageable and they managed A's whereas they would've struggled to get a B taking it at their own school. I like summer classes becaues think it's always easier to take a condensed class and focus exclusively on that, but other ppl are diff.

I think it's perfectly reasonable to fit in 4+ hours of volunteer work a week.
Good luck :)
I wouldn't worry too much about this

Hi,

I'd also be interested in hearing people's opinions on Harvard's Summer Program. I've been thinking of taking chem or physics there. But the price tag!! $4200!!!! I think I may end up at Northeastern instead just based on $$$.

I checked out Jim Davis, however, who's teaching Chem this summer at Harvard. On ratemyprofessors.com people rave about him. I suppose at least it's mony well spent. At least you're not being taught by some random TF.

Hi, in chemistry, you are taught by a TF. Jim Davis is fabulous, but more for his stories than his methodology for solving chem problems. I took chemistry two summers ago and learned everything needed to actually be a TF myself in chemistry now from my TF at the time (did that make any sense?). Anyway, chem i very organized over the summer, and I recommend it. However, you cannot have a job and I would not expect to do much of anything else for those few months.
I also took Bio last summer at Harvard, and it was great. I totally recommend it.
Both classes are complete topically and taught well. You class will consist of college students, bright high school students, and post bacc premed students.
I never took physics over the summer, so I cannot speak to that directly.