tco

10+ Year Member
Apr 22, 2008
Status
Resident [Any Field]
There are similar posts like this in other forums, but I haven't seen one in the Allopathic forum. Has anyone successfully converted to a biphasic routine? If so, does it really benefit you?

Stories, schedules, and the like would be appreciated.

searun

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 31, 2006
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I sleep pretty good for 4 or 5 hours and then my cat wakes me up, in the middle of the night, every bloody night. I feed her, admonish her, and then collapse back on my bed, have odd thoughts, and then go back to sleep, usually have very weird dreams after the cat episode, often watching a tsuami approaching, in a beach cabin, and the waves are 100 feet high, and as the wave approaches, I wonder if the glass windows in the cabin will hold when the wave hits. Last night the windows did not break and the water receded, and I took a deep breathe and woke up. Bloody cat.

hermit

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 30, 2006
Status
Medical Student
I read through this guy's blog a long time ago documenting his experience with polyphasic sleep and thought it sounded extremely cool. Before school started, I thought I may give it a try. After I found out how variable our schedule was, there's no way it would work. This guy's experience was positive - lots of extra waking hours, etc - but if he missed a scheduled nap, he crashed hard and had to ease back into the schedule. He really liked it but ultimately quit because it was so hard to wrap daily life around the "mandatory" nap schedule.

OP
T

tco

10+ Year Member
Apr 22, 2008
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I don't see how polyphasic could ever work in a normal person's life.

starfishprime

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 5, 2007
Status
Medical Student
I don't see how polyphasic could ever work in a normal person's life.
Well, I spent an entire summer on Buckminster Fuller's Dymaxion sleep schedule, which entailed sleeping 30 minutes every 6 hours. I did 12a, 6a, 12p, 6p.

For the bulk of the summer, I had a 9-5 type job, and spent 30 minutes of my 12p-1p lunch break sleeping in my car. It worked just fine.

That said, transitioning to any polyphasic sleep schedule requires a great deal of fortitude, as it is essentially minor self-imposed torture. I recommend having a lot of things to do, as it is (or was for me) really hard to fill 22 hours a day for weeks on end.

Excelsius

Carpe Noctem
10+ Year Member
Apr 6, 2008
Status
I have read that blog too. I tried polyphasic sleep about a year ago, but couldn't maintain it because of my schedule. There is just no way around it. Assuming that it is not too weird to go to your car to sleep during the day, you have to assume that you are actually going to be comfortable. Most of the time your car is either going to be too hot or too cold...

So when the polyphasic failed, I tried biphasic and it worked fine; however, I did not gain that much extra time during the day. With biphasic you still sleep like 5-6 hours a day. This could be great if you sleep 8 or more hours a day, but for me this was the same as one block of sleep. What I usually do is a mixed schedule - I might not sleep one night, sleep one hour the next night, and then sleep as long as 8 hours the third night, but often shorter. This way I only stay up when I have extra things to take care of and not during a special set-time. The point of sleeping less is to be more productive. If you're not because you have to stay up during times when you can't do much, then this defeats the purpose. Keep this in mind.

I must say that on the days that I go to the gym in the evening where I do a lot of sprinting, I am pretty tired by 12am and will easily sleep 6-7 hours. It just depends on your day as well. I have found that if you are spending a lot of time solving tough problems, such as physics, you again get unusually tired.

By the way, if you do these sleep experiments you'll start having vivid dreams about your daily activities. I often dream about everything I see, write, and study the given night. It's almost like you are witnessing your own memory consolidation/defragmentation. Since I often post late at night on SDN, once I also had a dream about an SDN thread! In the morning I was trying to figure out what was real and what wasn't. I even dreamt about Sotomayor confirmation and for an entire afternoon thought that she was already confirmed until I read the google news! So this stuff is really messing with your head. On one hand we have the clinical brain physically consolidating your memories. But on the other hand you have this extra layer of Freudian subconsciousness where your brain not only replays real events, but also modifies them according to your wishes or fears.

Last edited:
OP
T

tco

10+ Year Member
Apr 22, 2008
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I don't get it. Sorry.

SoCuteMD

10+ Year Member
Nov 28, 2005
No more rounding!
Status
Attending Physician
Well, I spent an entire summer on Buckminster Fuller's Dymaxion sleep schedule, which entailed sleeping 30 minutes every 6 hours. I did 12a, 6a, 12p, 6p.

For the bulk of the summer, I had a 9-5 type job, and spent 30 minutes of my 12p-1p lunch break sleeping in my car. It worked just fine.

That said, transitioning to any polyphasic sleep schedule requires a great deal of fortitude, as it is essentially minor self-imposed torture. I recommend having a lot of things to do, as it is (or was for me) really hard to fill 22 hours a day for weeks on end.
Yeah, that works fine unless you are at work as a med student/resident for 2 of those and cutting it close with a third.

Lunch break? What's that? I'm lucky to pee during my work day.

OP
T

tco

10+ Year Member
Apr 22, 2008
Status
Resident [Any Field]
It's a little something that happened to the great Cosmo Kramer.

I personally believe that everyone should watch at least 1 episode of Seinfeld a day.
OHHHH!!

Was that the polyphasic sleep episode?

TopSecret

Removed
Jul 14, 2009
949, 310
Status
Attending Physician
There are similar posts like this in other forums, but I haven't seen one in the Allopathic forum. Has anyone successfully converted to a biphasic routine? If so, does it really benefit you?

Stories, schedules, and the like would be appreciated.
I think most medical students do this de facto except they sleep during class.

mq123

Blah username =/= blah me
10+ Year Member
Jun 12, 2007
BuyMoria
Status
Medical Student
I think most medical students do this de facto except they sleep during class.
Very true. However, that kind of sleeping is usually the nodding-off kind, and you probably don't enter REM sleep at all.

sprinkibrio

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 25, 2006
Status
Medical Student
Biphasic sleep sounds a bit like what some of us do third year.

Jun 20, 2009
Status
Medical Student
Lunch break? What's that? I'm lucky to pee during my work day.
The 30 hour workday doesn't scare me. Being yelled at doesn't scare me. Knowing the subjective grades you get in rotations have a huge impact on your future doesn't scare me.

But as someone who needs to pee constantly due to a small bladder and a tendency to drink too much water, I'm now scared of 3rd year rotations.

SoCuteMD

10+ Year Member
Nov 28, 2005
No more rounding!
Status
Attending Physician
The 30 hour workday doesn't scare me. Being yelled at doesn't scare me. Knowing the subjective grades you get in rotations have a huge impact on your future doesn't scare me.

But as someone who needs to pee constantly due to a small bladder and a tendency to drink too much water, I'm now scared of 3rd year rotations.
Don't worry, you won't have time to drink water. Plus, you won't be allowed to have it (no food, drink at the nurses' stations or in patient rooms).

sexyman

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 2, 2007
Status
Medical Student
During college when I played baseball for a few months during preseason I would sleep twice during the day for about 4 hours. I would sleep from 12am to 5am (then have indoor early morning practice), go to class from 8-2, sleep from 3-7. repeat.

It kind of sucked...I wouldnt recommend it for med school. In med school I sleep from 1am to 7am for the most part.