Has anyone used 1-month Integrated Science Program (ISP) pre-reqs and gotten into med school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

peanutp

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Came across these pre-req courses in Northern and Southern California. 4 weekends of courses and it satisfies a semester of Chem, Ochem, Bio, etc.? Seems like another option for those of us whose work schedules don't allow for traditional semester long classes. Even though the month will be incredibly stressful. And it's pricey... but also sounds suspicious.

From other posts it looks like they are accredited, but how do adcoms look at these courses? Has anyone taken these before? Or gotten into med school with them?

Does anyone have any expedited class suggestions in the Bay Area?

Members don't see this ad.

Berkeley Extension or SFSU Post-Bacc. They both have night classes available.. and Berkeley also has a formal Post-Bacc program.

I'm from SoCal but I've done enough research in the bay area lol

Members don't see this ad :)
OP, were you thinking that 4 weekends would cover multiple courses? It is actually 1 course per month, and the institution is accredited (as you pointed out.) Just not sure about their success rate placing pre-meds into US med schools because their testimonials page does not have much. A 3 unit lecture 1 unit lab course is supposed to meet 4 hours/week over a 16-week semester. This = 64 hours = 16 hours x 4 weekends, so the hours do add up. I looked into this a while back and decided against because I could not afford it and could not find testimonials online.

It's really intense. I took Biology 101/102 there and am still not sure whether it will be accepted or if I'll need to repeat it in my Premed Post bacc program. I got a 4.0 in both but I wish we'd had more time to spend on the topic. It left me feeling underprepared for MCAT's and further study because it was such a cram fest. But my professor was great and the material we covered was excellent, so...I dunno.

Has anyone any updated news about ISP ?

Does anyone have any information on this program? I'm planning on attending in July.

ask to be put in touch with alumni who are now in med school.

think about what your letters of recommendation, if any, would look like on this letterhead.

Hi there! I'm a future PT, applying to PT schools this year during the July-October period for schools in my area. My top two choices for schools are Samuel Merritt and UCSF/SFSU. I'm sorry for infiltrating this thread in the premed forum.... but...

I have a question about science prerequisites. I also found information about the Integrated Science Program through Holy Names University in both Norcal and Socal (seems like it might be somehow affiliated, or maybe the same program as above but with a different name?). The below courses are the remaining prerequisites I need to complete (I actually don't need one of the chemistry classes or the biology classes, but figure it might be worth it to take them both since mine are older than 10 years and I could raise my initial grade).

Physics 1, Physics 2
Biology 1, Biology 2
General Chemistry 1, General Chemistry 2

I checked with Samuel Merrit, UCSF/SFSU and Holy Names... and these accelerated classes are accepted for the PT program.

Completing prereqs through the accelerated Integrated Science Program would allow me to continue volunteering at the VA Clinic in Livermore and at Sutter Hospital in San Francisco, which are both great opportunities where I am really building a foundation of knowledge and connections. I am hoping to keep those volunteer opportunities going as long as I can since I'm really enjoying both of them, but conventional science classes M-F makes the scheduling difficult.

The accelerated ISP classes are on the weekends, Saturday and Sunday from 8:30am to 6:30pm, for 4 weeks. Then a final exam Wednesday evening after the 4th week. You take just one class at a time. A semester worth of material is covered in 1 month.

I already have reference letters lined up from other professors and PTs that I have been volunteering with, so that's not needed. My Anatomy and Physiology classes (and all other prereqs) are through a typical 4 year university, are recent, and As.

I am thinking that for me, the accelerated ISP may be a good choice for these particular classes. If I don't take these classes, I will need to stop volunteering in order to make the time for the science classes offered at my university. The connections I'm making and what I'm learning while I volunteer seem much more important (and interesting) than making time for conventional undergrad physics and chemistry classes. Maybe they wouldn't be good for pre-med students preparing for the MCAT, but that's not me...

I'm infiltrating this thread hoping that maybe there are a few of you who had experience with these accelerated ISP courses. Anyone have any first hand experience with these accelerated ISP classes from Holy Names in the Norcal area at the Hayward campus? (here's info on the ISP: Accelerated Weekend College Science Courses Schedule & Calendar | ISP)

Thank you!

Came across these pre-req courses in Northern and Southern California. 4 weekends of courses and it satisfies a semester of Chem, Ochem, Bio, etc.? Seems like another option for those of us whose work schedules don't allow for traditional semester long classes. Even though the month will be incredibly stressful. And it's pricey... but also sounds suspicious.

From other posts it looks like they are accredited, but how do adcoms look at these courses? Has anyone taken these before? Or gotten into med school with them?

Does anyone have any expedited class suggestions in the Bay Area?

If you want to expedite the process, then do a well regarded formal post-bacc. Otherwise, do things the right way. Some people have no choice but to do classes on weekends, online, at a CC, etc. But for people who do have the option, take coursework in a traditional setting at a four year university. Some parts of your app will be out of your control. Always seek to maximize the things that are in your control.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks. Good general advice. But does anyone have any experience with those particular courses through the ISP? Physics, biology and chemistry?

The same issue would apply in a formal post-bacc for me personally, meaning it would still force me to stop my volunteer opportunities in order to attend M-F lab classes. Thank you!

Reactions: 1 user
Hey there. So I'm just finishing up my first accelerated course at ISP in Hayward. I ended up taking A&P 2 there since it worked better with my schedule than the A&P 2 class I was originally in at CSUEB. For me, since I'm taking classes over again that have expired (over 10 years old), it was OK. For someone who is taking A&P for the first time, I'm not sure how well it would prepare you. Hopefully there would be additional A&P courses in whatever programs you are going into to supplement what you learn here. I only say this because in my first A&P classes, over 10 years ago, we had cadavers, more lab exams, more histology, and it was much more inclusive and rigorous. This format doesn't really allow for that. I understand many facilities, even 4 year colleges, no longer offer cadavers. Even so, that aspect of lab really helped me to learn the first time around. All of the other students in my class were going on to nursing or dental hygiene. This particular course may be more suited to those entering into that aspect of continued education. I wouldn't recommend it for someone taking the MCAT unless you already have anatomy and physiology knowledge from other experiences.

That being said, the scheduling can't be beat. It is challenging and very accelerated, but it makes it possible to maintain volunteer opportunities and internships. I do plan on taking my chemistry and physics through ISP because of the scheduling. Also, all of the people in the class are moving toward a career in the health or medical profession. I noticed a big difference between a classroom filled with students of that sort, compared to typical undergrad students at a 4 year college. The maturity level is much higher and that elevated the learning experience for me.

If you don't have your letters of recommendations lined up yet, I would personally make sure to get them from professors that teach typical semesters, or even quarters. The professors here don't have enough time to really get to know you in order to write a glowing recommendation, at least in my opinion. I think the accelerated programs serve a purpose, but it is important to look at all the aspects and make sure that you have each of those additional aspects covered (such as mentors, recommendation letters, the right time of teaching method for you personally, how well you study on your own, etc).

I will say that the instructor I had was excellent. It takes a lot of skill to maintain interest for 10 hours on both Saturday and Sunday.