Has anyone used MCAT verbal passages to practice for DAT RC?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bodmon

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Title.

Would this be effective?
I already have bootcamp, and I'm not looking to buy anymore resources since my exam is in less than two weeks. There are a lot of verbal passages online

Members don't see this ad.

Personally, I didn't so I'm not sure how effective it would be. I do remember reading here though that someone did really well from practicing with LSAT passages since they are much harder than what you will be seeing on the DAT, but I'm not sure even that would work for everyone. If I were you, I would focus on reading some scientific articles to get your brain ready to go and map them out even without doing the questions. Plenty of people go into the test without adequately preparing for the RC and if you've been scoring relatively well on Bootcamp, or even average, I think you should be okay (I found the RC to be much easier on the actual test than most practice I have encountered).

If not, give a Verbal Passage a try from the MCAT and see how the difficulty stacks up against the RC you did on Bootcamp and see if you find that helpful. I'm sure people have used it before, so maybe someone else can comment to how effective it was, but I don't think it would really hurt you. Just my two cents. Best of luck in your studies!

The MCAT verbal portion is very critical thinking /assumption based. DAT reading comp is very straight forward. Just read like 2-3 scientific american articles everyday to get used to dense science articles.

Members don't see this ad :)
Title.

Would this be effective?
I already have bootcamp, and I'm not looking to buy anymore resources since my exam is in less than two weeks. There are a lot of verbal passages online

I have found it very helpful when working with students where English is a 2nd language. It might not be right for every student. I recommend Exam Krackers.

Just my 2 cents

Nancy

mcat.jpg

Others might disagree with me but I feel like you don't really have to invest too much material/practice into RC. The bootcamp practice tests were the only RC practice I got. I would say just get your strategy down of how you want to work through the passages on the real dat.

Reactions: 1 user
Having taken MCAT before, I can tell you that verbal reasoning is way out of scope for reading comp for DAT. It would not be a good use of your time. For reference, I scored "OK" on MCAT verbal (11) but I scored pretty high in RC on DAT (23). Just my 2 cents. :)

Having taken MCAT before, I can tell you that verbal reasoning is way out of scope for reading comp for DAT. It would not be a good use of your time. For reference, I scored "OK" on MCAT verbal (11) but I scored pretty high in RC on DAT (23). Just my 2 cents. :)
I was hoping someone who has been exposed to both exams would be able to comment on this. Thanks for the feedback!