Has anyone visited Northwestern yet?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xren

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I haven't got time to visit there yet, but I heard something about there are students quited their AuD program.Is the AuD program there too hard /competitive, or other personal reasons? I really got a big concern about that, I am not a lazy person, but I don't wanna waste my time and money to figure out it doesn't fit me.
Anyone decided to accept there?

Members don't see this ad.

I haven't visited or heard anything about students dropping out, but I plan on attending Northwestern!

I visited a few weeks ago. Dr. Riley told me that as the 3-year program is accelerated, some students may find it more difficult than others and those students are given an extra year to complete the program if the student is struggling to keep up. If you look on their website, they have a page that lists the completion rates over the past few years and only one hasn't completed the program, while a few needed an extra year, but completed the program.

I'm torn between attending here and Rush. Northwestern is my "dream school", but I keep hearing that Rush is also an excellent program and I would have more time to gain research experience (as I am considering pursuing a PhD after the AuD).

Members don't see this ad :)
I visited a few weeks ago. Dr. Riley told me that as the 3-year program is accelerated, some students may find it more difficult than others and those students are given an extra year to complete the program if the student is struggling to keep up. If you look on their website, they have a page that lists the completion rates over the past few years and only one hasn't completed the program, while a few needed an extra year, but completed the program.

I'm torn between attending here and Rush. Northwestern is my "dream school", but I keep hearing that Rush is also an excellent program and I would have more time to gain research experience (as I am considering pursuing a PhD after the AuD).
Thanks for the information, I am in same situation with you, but I am a little bit lean to Florida rather than Northwestern. 3years is an advantage compared with 4 years program, I looked their website and find that the classes in "quarter" (rather than semester) would be more stressful. Also I think the curriculum of the AuD in Northwestern are fixed, they don't offer elective class to choose, I mean what if you got a specific interest like CI or hearing aids that you wanna to learn and do some research. I don't think I have spare time to work or research after class.

I have chosen not to attend Northwestern in the Fall. I am from the suburbs of Chicago and have visited there many times before. It is a beautiful city and campus. As far as someone mentioned wanting to pursue research, I would choose NU over Rush. I personally know an AuD professor at Rush (through my aunt who is a SLP). She told me NU students are known for their research. She also told me that some, certainly not all, places frown upon the accelerated 3 year program and view NU grads as PhDs rather than clinicians. If that helps!

I'm curious about what it means that some people frown upon the 3 year AuD program. I've heard this a few times, in a few places. I've read that some feel that it devalues the AuD, and even sets back some of the progress that the profession has made.

I plan on attending Northwestern; one of the many draws was the 3 year program, as I'm a more non-traditional student. Any thoughts on what I could encounter, worst case, as a graduate of a 3 year AuD program? An AuD is an AuD when it comes to finding jobs, etc, right?

I'm also from the suburbs of Chicago, which is why I applied to both Rush and Northwestern. I do like NU's campus and research. Since I am more interested in pursuing a PhD than working as an audiologist, the whole 3-year program "stigma" doesn't bother me as much. My only concern is if I should focus more on one research project at NU or if I should get an additional year of experience at Rush.

Thanks for the information the Rush AuD professor gave you, they certainly wouldn't say something like that to me.

I'm curious about what it means that some people frown upon the 3 year AuD program. I've heard this a few times, in a few places. I've read that some feel that it devalues the AuD, and even sets back some of the progress that the profession has made.

I plan on attending Northwestern; one of the many draws was the 3 year program, as I'm a more non-traditional student. Any thoughts on what I could encounter, worst case, as a graduate of a 3 year AuD program? An AuD is an AuD when it comes to finding jobs, etc, right?

I know about as much as you do when it comes to the stigma. I think it comes down to the fact that graduates of a 3-year program may have less clinical experience than graduates of 4-year programs have. I'm sure there are other reasons like you mentioned, but that seems to be the most important to audiologists who are hiring AuD graduates.