Has anyone visited these programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Maureen

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone visited or has some insight on the following programs?

U of Minnesota
U of CO-Boulder
Nova
U of Louisville
UCONN
Rush U
U of Wisconsin- Madison

Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

@Maureen , I visited the University of Louisville. I am from Louisville originally and it is one of my schools for my Fall 2015 applications. I really liked the faculty and what I saw there. UofL is an AuD program that is integrated with the medical school, which is probably what I liked best about it from the tour I received. It also had some really neat clinical rotations that they let you jump right into your first year there. Overall it felt like a solid program, and an affordable program at that. :) If you have any questions feel free to PM me and I can tell you more.

@onozanAuD , I can definitely tell that U of L is a great program! It is in my top 3 without even visiting. It sounds comparable to Rush U because they're both within the medical program. Have you visited other programs to compare it to?

Hi Maureen,

I visited Rush earlier this year for their accepted students day, and was very impressed! The program has a very clinically based approach, which isn't surprising given the nature of the university as a whole. While it does do some research, and you're always encouraged to participate in it if you so choose, it doesn't have the huge research push that many other schools (particularly the high ranking ones) do. However, the AuD is a clinical doctorate, not a PhD, so take that with a grain of salt. Personally, I'm not super enthralled with research, so this aspect didn't bother me. They also emphasize that there is a side-by-side learning approach, something they call a "teacher-practitioner model" that integrates classroom learning and research with clinical care. Often, your professors in class are also your supervisors in clinic. They are also on a quarter system, which makes the class schedule different from other programs that run on a semester system.

I was also very impressed with the faculty and facilities they had. Everyone was very welcoming and approachable! The whole process was very organized--probably the most organized of the schools that I applied to, which let me tell you makes a HUGE difference. This is super helpful and definitely says something about priorities. As an accepted student I definitely felt like they wanted me to be there, and which was nice. They pursued me, but not too much, just enough to check in and make sure I didn't have any questions, or to see if there was anything they could help me with regarding my decision. Ultimately, their facilities are wonderful, and the students I talked with really seemed happy with the program. My one caveat is that they don't have a pediatric cochlear implant program directly affiliated with the school. I was told that it was in the works, but if that's something that you think you may be interested in, make sure you look for it in a program! And also just ask if you're not sure--things may have changed between when I last spoke with them and when you do. Overall, the program at Rush seems like an excellent one, it just comes down to what you want and how you fit in with a school.

Please feel free to PM me if you have any other questions!

Reactions: 1 user