Has it all been worth it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Toothypasty

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I had a long conversation with a dentist last night that was very very discouraging. He strongly discouraged me by telling me that it's all just not worth it. I'll be in for 5-6 more years of schooling, and in his words, by that time I'll be "old." He says that the competition out there is stiff, and went into a long tirade about stresses of dealing with competition, running a practice and generally making a buck. He seemed very very jaded about the profession and seems to really regret his career path.

I realize that it probably depends on the individual and how he or she decided on dentistry, but that conversation about a career that I have been pretty set on really shook me. I am a generally happy person by nature, and have had 3 years of experience working in a dental office. I am familiar with the certain stresses that come with it, but have never encountered anyone who disliked dentistry with the amount of gusto that this particular dentist did.

Are you guys happy? Do you LOVE being a dentist? Is it REALLY that hard to make a buck in that field? Was it all worth it?:)

Members don't see this ad.

Dentistry can be very hard... and so can life. Some people have trouble accepting that. I would say dentistry is hardest if you are an introvert. Dealing with people and psychology is a very big component to dentistry that most don't think about when they go into it. On the flip side, I've met many dentists, particularly females, that enjoy working with people but hate the technical component... it's a balance.

If you want to hate dentistry, practice in an area with lots of other dentists as is the case in most nice neighborhoods of urban areas. Scrounging for patients and work is a path for burnout.

Of the 50 or so different dentists I have talked with, all have enthusiastically answered that despite the challenges, it's well worth it. But dentistry isn't for everyone. If you feel like it's for you, then don't let that dentist's opinion get to you.

Members don't see this ad :)
I myself actually love Dentistry. I started off in the Army as a Dental Tech, then a Dental Lab Tech. I got promoted and ran a clinic. From the first day of being an assistant I knew I wanted to be a Dentist. I just graduated last May. I have been practicing for several months and I can say I love it. I make around 120K and I don't have to deal with all the admin stuff, just dentistry. There are so many aspects of Dentistry, public health, private practice.... Most of the Dentist work 4 days a week. I can truly say that if the you don't want to run your own practice and just do Dentistry then become an associate the rest of your career. Invest your money and work. As a associate all you do is wait for your assistant to seat your patient perform your procedure and get up. I spend most of my time on the internet walking around making sure no one needs a check (hygienist, assistants) All of that will come with speed though.

The best part about dentistry is treating patients as a whole being and not just teeth. The hard part is not doing the technical stuff, but how well you fit with your work environment (staff, owner dentist, community, etc). Having said that, I have 10-15 yrs plan of doing dentistry full time, after that.. I will significantly cut back to part-time and/or do something else; like teach or R&D side of dentistry.

I still haven't met a dentist who hates dentistry, in person.

I myself actually love Dentistry. I started off in the Army as a Dental Tech, then a Dental Lab Tech. I got promoted and ran a clinic. From the first day of being an assistant I knew I wanted to be a Dentist. I just graduated last May. I have been practicing for several months and I can say I love it. I make around 120K and I don't have to deal with all the admin stuff, just dentistry. There are so many aspects of Dentistry, public health, private practice.... Most of the Dentist work 4 days a week. I can truly say that if the you don't want to run your own practice and just do Dentistry then become an associate the rest of your career. Invest your money and work. As a associate all you do is wait for your assistant to seat your patient perform your procedure and get up. I spend most of my time on the internet walking around making sure no one needs a check (hygienist, assistants) All of that will come with speed though.

So how long did it take you to become a dentist going the army route?

So how long did it take you to become a dentist going the army route?

Well I went in the military at 19 got out at 25. Did 2 years of undergrad to finish my prerequisites. Applied in 2005 got accepted and graduated in 2009 at the age of 31 (2 months before my 32nd Bday).

The best part about dentistry is treating patients as a whole being and not just teeth. The hard part is not doing the technical stuff, but how well you fit with your work environment (staff, owner dentist, community, etc). Having said that, I have 10-15 yrs plan of doing dentistry full time, after that.. I will significantly cut back to part-time and/or do something else; like teach or R&D side of dentistry.

I still haven't met a dentist who hates dentistry, in person.

I think the best part about dentistry is treating the teeth (or ridges) and not the patients. I love patients that come in, sit down, shut up and let me do my thing. I'd rather not have to deal with the whole body... I love being a tooth mechanic... it's having the patient tell me about their husband/boyfriend who is cheating on them with his mistress and that's the reason why she didn't brush. :laugh: I'd also rather deal with the tooth and not have to focus upon making it so they "absolutely don't feel" a mandibular injection. Suck it up, going to the dentist is not supposed to be the most comfortable thing in the world :)

Ah well, the trade-off is that if you don't listen to her story or don't strive for perfection in anesthesia, you won't be doing the nice high quality dentistry. Hahaha, you learn to roll with it.

I love dentistry, couldn't imagine doing any other job (except maybe being retired & a world traveler).

But seriously, I love being a tooth mechanic, nothing more. :thumbup: