Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Why?I'm on child psych right now. I cry like all day errday.
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Why?I'm on child psych right now. I cry like all day errday.
It makes me sad that so many people don't realize it.We have kind of a weird curriculum in that we start psych during second year, and yeah... I'm going through a mini existential crisis right now. I had no idea abuse and rape were as prevalent as they are. I feel so bad for so many of these people.
Child psych is supposed to be horrible for a lot of reasons- trauma, tragedy, poverty, horrible parents, fighting a system that provides you with no resources whatsoever to do what you need to help the children that get sent your way, etc etc. There's a decent thread on it in the psych sub forum right now.Why?
I actually go back and forth about whether or not I'm interested in it. The sad stuff I'm fine with, but I'm more interested in adolescents and you don't really *need* the fellowship for thatChild psych is supposed to be horrible for a lot of reasons- trauma, tragedy, poverty, horrible parents, fighting a system that provides you with no resources whatsoever to do what you need to help the children that get sent your way, etc etc. There's a decent thread on it in the psych sub forum right now.

I can understand that a bit. I went the traditional route, so it probably wasn't as big of a change as what you did, but I think one of the hardest parts, more than the academics was leaving the friends and life I was so close to behind. The feeling of being isolated and uprooted made a stressful time even more difficult.Med school has made my liver cry.
It made me incredibly depressed- like, not sad, not crying, but like, I can't get out of bed and I'm having self-destructive thoughts that I probably should talk to someone about levels of depressed- during the first block, but I'm okay now. It was a rough adjustment, likely made far more so by my having already had a fairly well-established life that suddenly didn't exist anymore. It's probably a different experience for most traditional students that would have jumped into a new life regardless, but that's just speculation. For me it wasn't so much the stress of school itself that got to me as it was the serious change in location, social networks, lifestyle, etc. We'll see how I feel once clinicals come around- at least they're within 10 miles of my home in CT.
See my parents are both psychologists so I've heard so many things... it takes a LOT to surprise me. Like the one time I overheard him talking about a client with my mom, this poor woman, when she was a kid her stepdad bought her a puppy, then shot it in front of her and wouldn't let her take the bloody clothes off for like over a day. Oh and of course she was sexually abused too, because of course people are horrible.I did my inpatient psych rotation on the adolescent ward. Every one of those kids' stories made me want to bawl. Just so terrifying what is out there in this world and what people go through.
I just like hearing stories and it's occurred to me that I'm more prone to breaking down and wanting to cry these days, even though I never used to. Has anyone felt this way?
Child psych is supposed to be horrible for a lot of reasons- trauma, tragedy, poverty, horrible parents, fighting a system that provides you with no resources whatsoever to do what you need to help the children that get sent your way, etc etc. There's a decent thread on it in the psych sub forum right now.
Yes. It's a very sobering feeling when I thought I was pretty damn special in undergrad, only to get to med school and immediately fall to the very bottom of my class.
It's really horrible, but I remember thinking "I really hope this patient doesn't code on my shift" innumerable times. But it's not the thought that's the problem- it's the reasoning behind it. I didn't want them to not code because I wanted them to not die- hell, on the contrary, I thought many of them should pass away because they were in such poor health that they'd be better off. But I just didn't want to get held over after a 16 hour shift, or get stuck in a 2 hour code-revive-code-revive-code cycle that would turn my day into a lot of suck.At this point, I'm less concerned with crying, and more concerned with emotional blunting.
Seriously, the ******* pager seems to twist your brain into looking at patients as obstacles to sleep and home time rather than vulnerable people needing your help.
I don't want to get to the point where I don't care about patients, and don't have an emotional reaction to treating them and getting them through some of the worst moments of their lives. I would rather cry than feel nothing.
As much as I would like this to be the case, it is definitely not. Less special and more stressed for sure, especially now that every day is a battle just to pass my classes. In UG the worst that could happen is I don't get the A I wanted, but here failing a class could be a $50k mistake due to repeating a year. My test anxiety has skyrocketed in the past few months, so much so that on the rare occasion that I do have time for sleep before an exam I struggle to fall asleep and end up writing on 1-2 hrs at best.Well being at the bottom of the class doesn't necessarily mean things are going bad n I would actually suggest that someone could be "just chillin" at the bottom of the class. For example, if someone is interested in doing an FP residency couldn't you see med school being less stressful than even undergrad? Is that your experience (less stress than ugrad) or have you also found that you feel both less special and more stressed?
I heard that third and fourth year are so much easier than the first two years? Why is third year so stressful?
This, absolutely. Outpatient usually isn't too bad because at least the parents care enough to get the kids to appointments. But C-L child psych is all about 2 things: 1) seeing kids in the ED who are having a crisis, usually because their parents don't notice what's happening or don't care enough to get them outpatient help, and 2) respond to inpatient peds consults, which are naturally for the saddest cases and worst social situations. It's all cancer, terminal illness, disability, and disfigurement, all of the time. I am also rotating through a pediatric burn unit some days of the week, which provides its own unique horrors... like my patient who says from now on, he will only go outside at night.
Reminds me of Neuro ICU.
Some of the most memorable were a teenage boy who attempted suicide and shot half his face off and a young girl with severe cerebral palsy who was blind, deaf, and had hundreds of seizures everyday.
The worst were probably the patients paralyzed from brain bleeds. Even on max pain meds they'd still start shaking and crying every time we'd go in to do a neuro exam to evaluate strength/sensation/reflexes.
There were times when I felt like we were literally torturing people.
As much as I would like this to be the case, it is definitely not. Less special and more stressed for sure, especially now that every day is a battle just to pass my classes. In UG the worst that could happen is I don't get the A I wanted, but here failing a class could be a $50k mistake due to repeating a year. My test anxiety has skyrocketed in the past few months, so much so that on the rare occasion that I do have time for sleep before an exam I struggle to fall asleep and end up writing on 1-2 hrs at best.
The funny thing is plenty of people seem to be "just chillin" but pulling 95's on exams. Maybe I'm just doing something wrong with my study approach, or maybe there's some pretty brilliant people here even at a lowly DO school.
When does it stop being an adjustment?I'd agree with that except flip-flop M1 and M2. M1 was an adjustment period for me, once I was used to it M2 seemed much easier.
Def not there yet 🙁I felt like I got my sea legs during second semester of first year.
Anatomy at my school was legendarily intense/hard. Both in terms of hours and the difficulty of the exams. So that made first semester unique and a major adjustment. Second semester I felt like I settled in and had figured out what worked for me individually.
Both. The way our exam schedule is set up we have tests every 3-6 days, so usually as soon as you finish one, it's immediately time to start cramming for the next one.Ya I know that feel. I use to stress about getting enough sleep before exams which would cause me to lose sleep...self fulfilling prophecy. The thing I found that works is studying a lot everyday so the day before an exam is just another day. Do you study a lot everyday or concentrate your studying to the days leading up to the exam?
They just say that to make you feel better.
Post interview M4 > M1 > M2 > M3 > Pre interview M4
Generally speaking. Although some people truly hate studying and love being in the hospital all day every day.
Reminds me of Neuro ICU.
Some of the most memorable were a teenage boy who attempted suicide and shot half his face off and a young girl with severe cerebral palsy who was blind, deaf, and had hundreds of seizures everyday.
The worst were probably the patients paralyzed from brain bleeds. Even on max pain meds they'd still start shaking and crying every time we'd go in to do a neuro exam to evaluate strength/sensation/reflexes.
There were times when I felt like we were literally torturing people.
We have kind of a weird curriculum in that we start psych during second year, and yeah... I'm going through a mini existential crisis right now.
I just like hearing stories and it's occurred to me that I'm more prone to breaking down and wanting to cry these days, even though I never used to. Has anyone felt this way?
My surgery rotation broke me. For three weeks straight I cried every time the alarm went off in the morning. It wasn't so much the subject matter or the hours, but the mean, horrible people in that program who loved to torture me with endless pimping and put-downs.
My surgery rotation broke me. For three weeks straight I cried every time the alarm went off in the morning. It wasn't so much the subject matter or the hours, but the mean, horrible people in that program who loved to torture me with endless pimping and put-downs.
@kirbymiester - I'm really sorry to hear that man. I hope things have gotten better for you since then.
(I didn't quote in case you decide to delete the comment later)
Probably oversharing here, but what the hell, it's anonymous. I went through the same thing starting Psych. My brother committed suicide, and it took me a long time to not cry reading the suicide sections of Fadem's Behavioral Science or First Aid.
My surgery rotation broke me. For three weeks straight I cried every time the alarm went off in the morning. It wasn't so much the subject matter or the hours, but the mean, horrible people in that program who loved to torture me with endless pimping and put-downs.
I thought they only did that on scrubs. You mean you can do that in real life? Sweet!Med school-No, doing 5 year dual IM/ER residency-Yes,Yes & Yes.
(did try to hide in places like chapel, go outside on Helipad for air, ect.) Anywhere my zone phone worked.
It's a real thing. Sylvanthus is another combined one, except he's in an EM/IM/CC 6-year track.I thought they only did that on scrubs. You mean you can do that in real life? Sweet!
I actually meant the going out on the roof to be alone and vent type thing. They do that on scrubs .It's a real thing. Sylvanthus is another combined one, except he's in an EM/IM/CC 6-year track.
My dual IM/gen surg residency was pretty rough. But I can manage hyponatremia AND take out appendices. Totally worth it.I thought they only did that on scrubs. You mean you can do that in real life? Sweet!
My dual IM/gen surg residency was pretty rough. But I can manage hyponatremia AND take out appendices. Totally worth it.
Is this at Maryland/Shock Trauma?It's a real thing. Sylvanthus is another combined one, except he's in an EM/IM/CC 6-year track.
There's only two programs, so there's a 50/50 shot.Is this at Maryland/Shock Trauma?
Yes. It's a very sobering feeling when I thought I was pretty damn special in undergrad, only to get to med school and immediately fall to the very bottom of my class.
Work Neuro ICU Intensivist, completed more CME on this. ^^versed^^propofol, premedical prior to exam when manipulating pt to keep the ICP "manageable." Also helps me to deal with the subjective cries/wincing/grimacing/tears which still indicate a distressed human being in my head & heart. Am told by others who "move the meat" you will get used to it after a while.Reminds me of Neuro ICU.
Some of the most memorable were a teenage boy who attempted suicide and shot half his face off and a young girl with severe cerebral palsy who was blind, deaf, and had hundreds of seizures everyday.
The worst were probably the patients paralyzed from brain bleeds. Even on max pain meds they'd still start shaking and crying every time we'd go in to do a neuro exam to evaluate strength/sensation/reflexes.
There were times when I felt like we were literally torturing people.
Work Neuro ICU Intensivist, completed more CME on this. ^^versed^^propofol, premedical prior to exam when manipulating pt to keep the ICP "manageable." Also helps me to deal with the subjective cries/wincing/grimacing/tears which still indicate a distressed human being in my head & heart. Am told by others who "move the meat" you will get used to it after a while.
A nurse once called out a code blue while I was on the phone on the unit, with the operator I asked the nurse 3 times, "maam is it a code blue ", three times nurse "enchilada" shook her head the first two times I asked , then trying to coax a verbal yes, I asked again and she said "yeah". I while with the operator for another reason told him code blue floor X .
Then the resident who was an older FMG, comes running out and starts yelling at me, for calling the code, in front of nurses and specialist doctors, one of whom was laughing in the corner. I did not cry per se....... but the sheer humiliation of having the 150 year old oncologist guy snicker in the corner made me almost want to .
Also, sorry. I totally loathe the whole "gomer" name thing or "moving meat." I detest the use of cabbage or any other vegetation. It's just so disrespectful, and after all these years, I haven't changed with that. I know everyone handles stress differently, but I am just super sensitive to anything that dehumanizes human beings. Sorry, but I am totally old school about respect. Maybe a person could say they wouldn't care if they were brain-dead or whatever; but I am willing to bet that if it were their mom, dad, brother, sister, cousin, kid, yea, it wouldn't be so cute. The Golden Rule has a lot of merit.
"Has medical school ever made you cry?"
No.
But you go through a lot of **** being a black med student and even more being a black physician. Most people just don't get it.
Our mission is to provide students with free, unbiased information, resources, and advising for careers in the health professions. We believe every student deserves access to trustworthy guidance, regardless of background or ability to pay.