Has medical school ever made you cry?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Also, sorry. I totally loathe the whole "gomer" name thing or "moving meat." I detest the use of cabbage or any other vegetation. It's just so disrespectful, and after all these years, I haven't changed with that. I know everyone handles stress differently, but I am just super sensitive to anything that dehumanizes human beings. Sorry, but I am totally old school about respect. Maybe a person could say they wouldn't care if they were brain-dead or whatever; but I am willing to bet that if it were their mom, dad, brother, sister, cousin, kid, yea, it wouldn't be so cute. The Golden Rule has a lot of merit.
Of it were my own mother/father/etc, I'd know they were gone and it was just moving meat at that point. When a person isn't there anymore, humanizing a body that breathes and maintains homeostasis but is otherwise nonfunctional is about the worst thing you could do. It drags out the pain for everyone involved, when you should all be paying your respects and moving on.

This doesn't apply to all neuro cases, just the hopeless ones. I hate neuro.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
A nurse once called out a code blue while I was on the phone on the unit, with the operator I asked the nurse 3 times, "maam is it a code blue ", three times nurse "enchilada" shook her head the first two times I asked , then trying to coax a verbal yes, I asked again and she said "yeah". I while with the operator for another reason told him code blue floor X .

Then the resident who was an older FMG, comes running out and starts yelling at me, for calling the code, in front of nurses and specialist doctors, one of whom was laughing in the corner. I did not cry per se....... but the sheer humiliation of having the 150 year old oncologist guy snicker in the corner made me almost want to .

That's rough. People can be JOs.

Also, maybe I'm illiterate and an idiot...but I found the post a bit tough to read...the grammar/punctuation made me pause often to get a good flow...re-write?

EDIT: Re-read it slowly, and makes sense now. Had to insert my own commas; apparently I am an idiot 😕
 
Last edited:
Not so much from med school itself. The closest I was to breaking down was during match week. There is no worse feeling than after spending the time, money and energy to travel, go through interviews, making difficult decisions on your rank list, and then waiting months after finalizing the list..... only to get the impersonal "We are sorry, you did not match into any position." e-mail. You start laughing at how much time you wasted arranging your rank list (among other things).

Its amazing how many four letter words (NBME, ERAS, NRMP) have such control on your future.
 
Yea. It doesn't matter. Their bodies represent them, and thus they are not mere meat. I'm not too keen on pushing families when there is no advance directive.
I've also seen some folks that were written off by neuro and others, and they actually awoke. One lady actually sat up, looked at me, and started making the sign of spoon to her mouth. She was telling me she wanted to eat. It was a fun rounds that morning. LOL. No one thought she was "neurologically viable." Absolute true story--from a well-know, huge medical center.

Life is funny.
 
That's rough. People can be JOs.

Also, maybe I'm illiterate and an idiot...but I found the post a bit tough to read...the grammar/punctuation made me pause often to get a good flow...re-write?

Yea, that gag was way irksome. I mean, can you imagine if someone played this kind of crap on 911? People would be in trouble. Yea, it's a big deal to get 911 in motion, but there is a principle there. You are a major azz if you imply or call a fake code.
 
Not so much from med school itself. The closest I was to breaking down was during match week. There is no worse feeling than after spending the time, money and energy to travel, go through interviews, making difficult decisions on your rank list, and then waiting months after finalizing the list..... only to get the impersonal "We are sorry, you did not match into any position." e-mail. You start laughing at how much time you wasted arranging your rank list (among other things).

Its amazing how many four letter words (NBME, ERAS, NRMP) have such control on your future.

Or matching low.

Feels isolating when all your friends are ecstatic about matching to their top 3 (like 90% of med students do), and you have to relive the shock and disappointment of opening your letter over and over again all 150 times people ask you about the match.

I had a conversation with another M4 the next week after the match I was on a rotation with. We really didn't talk or know each other before the rotation. She also matched to a spot in the double digits, and we just vented for like 2 hours straight at lunch (you can do that as an M4). Thank God for that. I felt so alone before that. I couldn't imagine what the people who didn't match went through.

In the end, I am happy with my program, but Christ, I ****ing hate the match.
 
Or matching low.

Feels isolating when all your friends are ecstatic about matching to their top 3 (like 90% of med students do), and you have to relive the shock and disappointment of opening your letter over and over again all 150 times people ask you about the match.

I had a conversation with another M4 the next week after the match I was on a rotation with. We really didn't talk or know each other before the rotation. She also matched to a spot in the double digits, and we just vented for like 2 hours straight at lunch (you can do that as an M4). Thank God for that. I felt so alone before that. I couldn't imagine what the people who didn't match went through.

In the end, I am happy with my program, but Christ, I ******* hate the match.

you got her digits to make up for your digit disappointment tho, amirite
 
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...sidency-programs.1113121/page-6#post-16111761

"You know.. I've been silently reading this thread for the last cpl months. And at first, I was rubbed the wrong way by the bold comments.
But then it hit me. Maybe the strong distaste for URM's being expressed in this thread is a good thing. Maybe it can be the 'proof' that shows the saner minds among us the mindset that a lot our colleagues have towards URM's. The type of personalities that URM attending largely all white institutions have to face on a every day basis. Facing a group of ppl who just by looking at your skin color already hold a grudge against you because of some oversimplified definition of Affirmative Action they hold. Most of these ppl aren't as bold in person (as compared to behind a keyboard), but their stares and social actions speak volumes.
Now imagine that for a second. Imagine having to live through this type of silent aversion day in and day out. How hard it must be to form relationships and form support/study groups. I urge the sane thinkers to put themselves in these shoes and form an honest opinion on how they would feel. An example of cultural competency."
 
or urm that get their hands held the whole process .seen way more of that than urm who are judged negatively due to color of their skin.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Or matching low.

Feels isolating when all your friends are ecstatic about matching to their top 3 (like 90% of med students do), and you have to relive the shock and disappointment of opening your letter over and over again all 150 times people ask you about the match.

I had a conversation with another M4 the next week after the match I was on a rotation with. We really didn't talk or know each other before the rotation. She also matched to a spot in the double digits, and we just vented for like 2 hours straight at lunch (you can do that as an M4). Thank God for that. I felt so alone before that. I couldn't imagine what the people who didn't match went through.

In the end, I am happy with my program, but Christ, I ******* hate the match.

Yeah but you're an ENT now. I've seen people with 260s and good applications not match anywhere on otomatch
 
a) Um...what?

b) No, they most certainly did not "have" to keep this. They could have thrown it in the trash if they had any sense.

wtf. are you joking me. a student thought sending a sweaty t-shirt to a school would affect their chances of getting in? seriously people like this are so stupid I wonder how they breathe, let alone managed to accrue decent enough academic stats to have a shot at med school.
 
I kinda hate anatomy. No crying, but there are moments during dissection and during practicals where I just rage internally. Physiology is like a vacation in comparison.
Apparently some girl started crying during dissections b/c she felt bad for cutting up someone's family member for the sake of her training.

I kind of felt bad for her, but they donated their bodies for a reason.
 
Apparently some girl started crying during dissections b/c she felt bad for cutting up someone's family member for the sake of her training.

I kind of felt bad for her, but they donated their bodies for a reason.

auto fail. I supposed a prof comforted her or some sappy BS. This is medical school, control yourself and have some maturity or gtfo
 
auto fail. I supposed a prof comforted her or some sappy BS. This is medical school, control yourself and have some maturity or gtfo
She regained her composure. But she'll have to man up in a couple years. Patients are going to die, and she'll have to handle it.

She's just a really sweet person though, and I'd venture she was really sheltered by her parents.
 
Apparently some girl started crying during dissections b/c she felt bad for cutting up someone's family member for the sake of her training.

I kind of felt bad for her, but they donated their bodies for a reason.

Initially, I was freaked out about cutting into a human being, but I think once you're in it and doing it, you just compartmentalize and get on with finding what you need to. Some people had issues with the face. I think by that point I was so desensitized that I was actually eager to do the initial skinning so we could get through the lab. So, I guess that's probably the biggest change med school has induced. Also, there's something oddly satisfying about being able to cleanly separate the dura mater from the calvarium with a chisel. The raging comes from the fact that there's so many small structures that easy to ruin in the head and neck because the layers of fascia are hard to separate and facial/neck fat gets in the way of everything.
 
Cry? No. But on the topic of emotions... I'm almost certain lots of people here know that this past year has made some emotions come out that I never thought possible.
Anger; like rage... pure rage/hatred. To the point of yelling at people close to me which I'm not proud of. To the point of sometimes wanting to punch a wall or someones face/faces.
Fear/Depression; I only bring this up because it doesn't take a psychiatrist to see that it happened a lot. I never cried or let my emotions show in the hospital. But there were points I just wanted to leave the hospital and never come back. Where nothing I did was even remotely good enough to be considered a doctor. The fear... well, let's just say I don't trust anyone out of fear I'll get screwed over/kicked out because I didn't smile the right way or asked the wrong question.
My saving grace? Being around people that made me forget about it. Truth be told; the residents/fellows I've worked with have made this past year tolerable. Aside from my away rotation, the teams I've worked with have helped me feel better about things. The less time I spent in class, with classmates, teachers, admins... and the more time I spent in the hospital with my team.

So... yeah. Med School has ultimately turned me into a monster that I only hope will go away when March 15th comes. I learned my lesson.... I hope.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Or matching low.

Feels isolating when all your friends are ecstatic about matching to their top 3 (like 90% of med students do), and you have to relive the shock and disappointment of opening your letter over and over again all 150 times people ask you about the match.

I had a conversation with another M4 the next week after the match I was on a rotation with. We really didn't talk or know each other before the rotation. She also matched to a spot in the double digits, and we just vented for like 2 hours straight at lunch (you can do that as an M4). Thank God for that. I felt so alone before that. I couldn't imagine what the people who didn't match went through.

In the end, I am happy with my program, but Christ, I ******* hate the match.

Yeah... less than 2 months. Every day feels more stressful than the next. Our school wants to have a match day party to celebrate and I can think of no reason I'd want to go to such a thing when I don't know what will happen until THAT day.
 
Or matching low.

Feels isolating when all your friends are ecstatic about matching to their top 3 (like 90% of med students do), and you have to relive the shock and disappointment of opening your letter over and over again all 150 times people ask you about the match.

I had a conversation with another M4 the next week after the match I was on a rotation with. We really didn't talk or know each other before the rotation. She also matched to a spot in the double digits, and we just vented for like 2 hours straight at lunch (you can do that as an M4). Thank God for that. I felt so alone before that. I couldn't imagine what the people who didn't match went through.

In the end, I am happy with my program, but Christ, I ******* hate the match.
If u cried just bc you matched lower on your list for an ENT residency, you really need to reevaluate your priorities and your life for that matter.
 
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...sidency-programs.1113121/page-6#post-16111761

"You know.. I've been silently reading this thread for the last cpl months. And at first, I was rubbed the wrong way by the bold comments.
But then it hit me. Maybe the strong distaste for URM's being expressed in this thread is a good thing. Maybe it can be the 'proof' that shows the saner minds among us the mindset that a lot our colleagues have towards URM's. The type of personalities that URM attending largely all white institutions have to face on a every day basis. Facing a group of ppl who just by looking at your skin color already hold a grudge against you because of some oversimplified definition of Affirmative Action they hold. Most of these ppl aren't as bold in person (as compared to behind a keyboard), but their stares and social actions speak volumes.
Now imagine that for a second. Imagine having to live through this type of silent aversion day in and day out. How hard it must be to form relationships and form support/study groups. I urge the sane thinkers to put themselves in these shoes and form an honest opinion on how they would feel. An example of cultural competency."
Do students tell u to your face you dont belong there bc you are urm?
 
If u cried just bc you matched lower on your list for an ENT residency, you really need to reevaluate your priorities and your life for that matter.

Please.

Wait until you work your butt off for four years and then on match day while all your friends are celebrating, you're looking at your 13th choice on that piece of paper. Then come back here and tell us how you feel.

VisionaryTics has said nothing but good things about his program since and has never shown a sign of being ungrateful/unappreciative.

But if you don't feel some measure of disappointment after experiencing something like that, you're not human. I have friends who had GREAT matches who were still bummed out on match day because it wasn't what they had been hoping/dreaming of.

Him being temporarily disheartened by the stress of match day doesn't devalue the experience of others nor does it mean he's not grateful for what he did get.
 
"You know.. I've been silently reading this thread for the last cpl months. And at first, I was rubbed the wrong way by the bold comments.

Most of these ppl aren't as bold in person (as compared to behind a keyboard), but their stares and social actions speak volumes.

ironically that includes you too.
 
Please.

Wait until you work your butt off for four years and then on match day while all your friends are celebrating, you're looking at your 13th choice on that piece of paper. Then come back here and tell us how you feel.

VisionaryTics has said nothing but good things about his program since and has never shown a sign of being ungrateful/unappreciative.

But if you don't feel some measure of disappointment after experiencing something like that, you're not human. I have friends who had GREAT matches who were still bummed out on match day because it wasn't what they had been hoping/dreaming of.

Him being temporarily disheartened by the stress of match day doesn't devalue the experience of others nor does it mean he's not grateful for what he did get.
ENT is a very competitive specialty and on match day he matched into the competitive specialty of his choosing. At the end of the day he will be an ENT. Others who got in top 3 may have been going for primary care specialties.

I will be happy to match period, even if dead last. Crying over it in this scenario is petty.
 
Lacking sympathy for someone else and publicly calling them out on it, particularly when you've never been in their shoes, is petty.

It doesn't matter how competitive the specialty is...VT was perfectly entitled to a moment or two of frustration and self-pity.
I have sympathy if he didnt match into ENT. Frustrated or disappointed for a moment, fine. Crying about it when you actually reached your competitive specialty goal - no - then u need to reevaluate.
 
I have sympathy if he didnt match into ENT. Frustrated or disappointed for a moment, fine. Crying about it when you actually reached your competitive specialty goal - no - then u need to reevaluate.


The entire point of this thread is to discuss emotionally difficult moments in medical school.

VisionaryTics has been through one that you are entirely unfamiliar with, so you really look like a tool by getting on your soapbox and preaching about how he should have been grateful to match at all.
 
If he was going for Internal Medicine or Surg, where the type of program can affect your ability to subspecialize, then it would make sense.
 
The entire point of this thread is to discuss emotionally difficult moments in medical school.

VisionaryTics has been through one that you are entirely unfamiliar with, so you really look like a tool by getting on your soapbox and preaching about how he should have been grateful to match at all.
The title of this thread is about moments in med school that have made one cry, not just emotionally difficult moments. And it is toolette, thanks.
 
It makes sense, irrespective of specialty. You're displaying both ignorance and a lack of sympathy, and it's a situation you really can't understand having not been through it.
I didnt say he doesnt have a right to be frustrated or slightly disappointed about it. But to the point of crying about it is above the mark.
 
It makes sense, irrespective of specialty. You're displaying both ignorance and a lack of sympathy, and it's a situation you really can't understand having not been through it.
You usually post good stuff but recently you've been trying to act like a moral superior. Pretty hypocritical. Just because they see it different doesn't make them ignorant or apathetic.


Basically you take the easy way out and try to take the high ground on everything, which sounds good In theory but no one actually does In real life,
 
im pretty sure there's a difference between being disappointed in match for someone applying to FM vs plastics. Stop trying to act like you're above normal human emotion, which you ironically critique others for. You're delusional if you dont agree with my first statement in this post.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
The whole attending/resident paternalism is hilarious(said from someone who thinks paternalism in medicine isn't even a big deal because it's somewhat inevitable). Yes you know more about medicine than students (duh) but that authority doesn't transfer to other things like emotion. There's this weird hierarchy where a dr acts like they are the standard for some behavior that is completely extra-medicine, when there's absolutely no explanation.

It's just a simple beg for relevance. You're in the student section for a reason. Act like it. You get to boss kids around on your day to day lives, don't do it here, especially about something you have 0 authority in. People like WS are pretty objective Imo but that's rare
 
I think everyone has the right to feel disappointed if they set a goal and didn't reach it. And I think the match is a deeply personal and stressful experience, particularly if you are shooting for something competitive.

Does Michael Phelps not have the right to feel upset if he gets bronze instead of gold? I mean come on, he is still faster than 99% of all swimmers.

Its a choice, not a right. Being disappointed doesn't help you improve current situation so I'd say it's silly. Couple that with being in a speciality where it's common to have an approach of "get good stats, interview at 10-15 places and you'll likely match " and it seems unreasonable to be disappointed with a match there, since it was the advice the whole time. That quote is the standard advice I see for every competitive specialty, so I'm not sure why anything else would be expected.

I understand what both of you are saying and your points, because they're both relevant and valid. Just don't feel one Is auto Correct because you have an md after your name
 
I learn a ton from attendings and residents on here, but it's pretty clear there is pimping that goes on, usually in things completely unrelated to the practice of medicine.
 
...you don't choose to feel disappointed and feelings aren't rational. He didn't match where he wanted to and was disappointed. That's not something to admonish someone about. The match is a culmination of four years of hard work. You don't even know what a ****show it is to get into one of these competitive specialties. You need top board scores, excellent grades, research and then on top of that, you have to go through the ridiculous rat race of going to different places around the country and suck up to people you barely know just to get someone to write you a letter. You've barely even begun to put in any work, don't act like you can have an opinion on his situation

Also it's obvious that you don't know what pimping is