Has my friend screwed his PTA chances?

Started by ROGERxThat
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

ROGERxThat

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi everyone asking this for a friend who reached out to me.

He was essentially going to school just to go, and did not have any idea of what he wanted to do. He had decent grades his first two years, and the 3rd year plus one semester he ranked and received a couple D’s. His GPA is a 2.1. He took a semester off and he finally found his passion and that is PTA. However PTA programs are extremely competitive. The pre reqs he has taken and I believe he has taken about 4, he received 3 B’s and 1 C.

He has one semester left of undergrad, in which he’d receive a bachelors with an emphasis on general studies. I told him he should finish that semester off because you receive extra points for having a bachelors.

So i guess is he screwed? He hasn’t actually done terrible on the pre reqs. It’s the cumulative that’s awful, but from the community colleges I’ve seen, on the application they only really ask about the pre reqs, and if you have a bachelors, and any type of shadowing.

What do you guys think he should do?
 
Having a Bachelor's degree doesn't really offer you any 'extra points' in the PTA program. He needs to focus on the pre-reqs--I would suggest re-taking a few of these classes to raise his grades, and to job shadow as much as possible to get more experience.
 
Having a Bachelor's degree doesn't really offer you any 'extra points' in the PTA program. He needs to focus on the pre-reqs--I would suggest re-taking a few of these classes to raise his grades, and to job shadow as much as possible to get more experience.
Do they calculate the GPA for PTA’s the same way as PT’s? Like do they average the two grades, or take your most recent one?
 
I think most programs take an average, but I'm not positive. I was in PTA school over 5 years ago, so things may have changed since then.