has the MSAR changed that much??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

akanene

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i have the 2003-2004 MSAR book and was wondering if anyone knew if it has changed much since then (as in do i really need to go out and buy the new one to apply this summer)... i'm planning on checking all the requirements online just to make sure, but as for basic stats and general school info does it fluctuate much?

Members don't see this ad.

Several schools who used to screen for secondaries (Stanford, maybe Northwestern?) have just started sending them to all applicants, so an old MSAR might be wrong for that. Also, applicant numbers are supposedly on the rise this year, so obviously acceptance rates are going to go down and average stats for matriculants will probably go up. I don't think stuff like course and residency requirements usually changes that much. You'll be two years out of date with the 03-04, so I'd buy the new one. My $0.02. :)

akanene said:
i have the 2003-2004 MSAR book and was wondering if anyone knew if it has changed much since then (as in do i really need to go out and buy the new one to apply this summer)... i'm planning on checking all the requirements online just to make sure, but as for basic stats and general school info does it fluctuate much?

A couple other changes: Some schools that used to not be part of AMCAS now are. I believe that as of now, all are except Texas schools. Also, Brown is now accepting apps from anyone, not just Brown undergrads, students in the BS/MD track, or PhD applicants as the case used to be. Cleveland Clinic is not in the old MSAR. I used an old book and I really wished I'd known those last two things in particular when I applied. But you probably can get access to the book through a pre-med advisor's office if you don't want to spend the $ on it.