Hatred for Georgetown?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

demalo

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering why so many students on the SDN seem dislike Georgetown?

Members don't see this ad.

demalo said:
I wouldn't exactly call what I feel outright hatred... but I sure bothers me that even though their average stats are just that... average...they turn away people with great qualifications and send them a letter that makes them feel inferior to what they are looking for. And often, that letter comes IMMEDIATELY after the secondary is sent in (implying that they are not even going to consider you whatsoever after you have sent them $105 to at least be given a fair shot.) Just seems a bit audacious to reject top applicants in August and September before seeing a larger pool.

Members don't see this ad :)
RunMimi said:
A lot of people here are very into research and the research rankings. Those who aren't tend to be attracted to states schools (and their good price). Georgetown has shortcomings in both research $ and tuition.

But don't most private ( not top 10-15) have relativley low researh budgets
(under 100M)and high tuition? Dartmouth, Brown, Wake, Tufts, Jefferson, MCW, GW, Tulane...and the list keeps going. It seems like there is something else there that I am not quite grasping. I can understand the rejecting relatively well-rounded candidates right after the secondary as being part of it-BUT most of my backup schools rejeceted me right away. It seems like there is some genuine dislike coming from somewhere.

curiouslygeorge said:
And often, that letter comes IMMEDIATELY after the secondary is sent in (implying that they are not even going to consider you whatsoever after you have sent them $105 to at least be given a fair shot.)

This is my problem with them. Although I appreciate that they actually told me when they rejected me (unlike some other schools) I do wish they would've at least given me the illusion that they even looked over my application after getting my $100 to do so. I think my rejected letter came 2 or 3 days (I'm positive it was no more than 3) after I sent in the secondary. Just enough time to cash my check and send me my rejection.

I know that they're not the only school that waits until after receiving an extra application fee before rejecting anyone, but the way they do it seems way too obvious and pisses people off.

They are very explicit regarding their "filter" approach, i.e. if you don't meet their average GPA and MCAT scores, you don't have a prayer. It sucks that people sent in $100 checks only to be rejected 3 days later, but G'town's approach is stated on their secondary application form.

Just my $0.02
:luck:

So is there anything horrible about the school or is this dislike associated more with their application process?? It seems like they have to be doing something correct to have be producing so many of the neuros and orthos, right?

I just don't see this "BAD SIDE." My interview went great with them. The students and admissions members seemed happy. They called me personally to congratulate me on my acceptance prior to receiving the letter. It just seems like the hatred is really unfounded. I understand this is not a member of the top ranked schools, but G-town seems quality. I don't understand the bad wrap.

curiouslygeorge said:
I wouldn't exactly call what I feel outright hatred... but I sure bothers me that even though their average stats are just that... average...they turn away people with great qualifications and send them a letter that makes them feel inferior to what they are looking for. And often, that letter comes IMMEDIATELY after the secondary is sent in (implying that they are not even going to consider you whatsoever after you have sent them $105 to at least be given a fair shot.) Just seems a bit audacious to reject top applicants in August and September before seeing a larger pool.

georgetown takes about 20-30 georgetown 'special masters' students which is geared toward students who have lower MCAT and GPA's then the rest of the incoming class...I think this is what deflates Georgetown's GPA and MCAT, giving the illusion that they have a lower GPA and MCAT acceptance rate...Boston University also has a similiar thing with their masters program and in addition, I think boston U has a undergrad-med program so again, thats why I think BU's GPA and MCAT numbers are misleading.

I think it mostly has to do with admissions, not anything about the school itself.

I admit when I'm wrong and I guess I'm wrong here; I looked over the secondary again and they do say that they use a filter post-secondary, though they don't say what their cutoffs are or if they filter GPA+MCAT separately or together. I still don't like the fact that they use their filter post-secondary (and post-$100) but I suppose it's my own fault for completing their secondary without realizing it would be filtered out.

demalo said:
But don't most private ( not top 10-15) have relativley low researh budgets
(under 100M)and high tuition? Dartmouth, Brown, Wake, Tufts, Jefferson, MCW, GW, Tulane...and the list keeps going. It seems like there is something else there that I am not quite grasping. I can understand the rejecting relatively well-rounded candidates right after the secondary as being part of it-BUT most of my backup schools rejeceted me right away. It seems like there is some genuine dislike coming from somewhere.

Not necessarily. According to the often contested, but nonetheless used U.S World and News rankings, the first school to get below 100M is Indiana State, Indianapolis which is ranked 39th.

Yes, but that is a state school which does not have the tuition issue. All *
I am saying is that it seems for being a relatively respected private school, *
with a relatively good match list, and relatively decent research and clinical *
exposure, Georgetown seems to get a lot of flack. Tufts, Tulane, GW, Jefferson, *MCW, Wake, and so on... do not. I am just wondering why that truly is?

OMG. i thought it was just me
i came to develop a severe hatred of georgetown after they rejected me post-sec. i was like "omg, that means im not getting into a top 40, since georgetown isnt even 45"..... then i proceeded to get invitations to interview at BU (accepted), Drexel (w/d) VCU (w/d), Temple (accepted), Northwestern, Albert Einstein, and Mount Si
so like, WHO THE F*CK DO THEY THINK THEY ARE?!
i'm glad i was rejected tho, i hear they're anti stem-cell research.... and personally, that says a lot about the school ( :thumbdown: )

other than accepance gripes, I think many people are "anti- gtown" because
1. huge financial troubles
2. anti abortion, anti stem cell research
I declined an interview there for the above reasons... I am just assuming I am not alone.

Members don't see this ad :)
Not sure if this is what you're looking for, but here are some of the things that didn't impress me about Georgetown when I interviewed a few weeks ago. First and foremost, the hospital has recently had some tough financial issues. In the mid-1990s, they ended up way in the red and were forced to sell to MedStar in order to avoid closing, and since, their financial situation has improved. However, they remain $400,000 in the red. This was left out of their presentation about the hospital, and this was the only explanation I got when I asked about it. When I asked what impact this might have on medical education, the speaker just talked more about "cura personalis." However, my friend is applying to residency programs and looked at Georgetown, but when he was talking to them, they told him that if their hospital closed, they'd find him another program (which is responsible, but who wants to move hospitals in the middle of residency?). So, I'm still not sure what that means for medical education, but it doesn't sound so good to me. Second, their hospital is old and run down, not very impressive facilities. Third, they claim to be unique in their "cura personalis" philosophy, but the only thing that's unique is the name; all med schools (at least all the ones I've been to) have the same philosophy without the fancy latin name. I guess the one exception is their alternative medicine requirement, but you can take that in seminars at any school. Fourth, they are a Catholic school, and that does influence their hospital practices, which some people find annoying. As far as what causes the deep resentment or whatever, I think the admissions thing is a biggie, as has already been stated. I mean, the claim to want students who are committed to their philosophy, but then they send out blanket rejections, which is no doubt frustrating to people who really want to go there but had a bad semester or trend upwards or whatever. The other thing is the sort of subjective things...the students I met seemed a little snobby, some of them claimed the faculty was disinterested, others seemed generally unhappy. But, that's coming from a few students on one day.

Anyway, those were just some of my negative perceptions from my interview day, although your impression certainly depends on who your tour guide is, which dean speaks, etc. I'm not really a Georgetown hater, but I don't think they've got much to rest that great reputation on (unattractive facilities, a hospital just getting back on it's feet, sort of a stuck up student body, etc).

TexasSnow said:
They are very explicit regarding their "filter" approach, i.e. if you don't meet their average GPA and MCAT scores, you don't have a prayer. It sucks that people sent in $100 checks only to be rejected 3 days later, but G'town's approach is stated on their secondary application form.

Just my $0.02
:luck:

still... doesn't make sense. lots of people with super high stats (well above the gtown average) and significant ec's were dropped as soon as their checks were cashed, while others with lower qualifications passed the filter. i am sure this is not the only reason people dislike the place, but it is a good start.

I interviewed there this past week and I thought it was AWESOME.
I think its very easy to post anti-anyschool that rejects you. That being said, don't get me started on BU....
Best of luck~

striped sweater said:
still... doesn't make sense. lots of people with super high stats (well above the gtown average) and significant ec's were dropped as soon as their checks were cashed, while others with lower qualifications passed the filter. i am sure this is not the only reason people dislike the place, but it is a good start.

How do you really know that though? I mean the students G-town is getting cannot be that bad b/c they do place quite well when it comes to the match, right? On my interview day, I would say that most of the applicants were pretty well qualified.

I just don't like hoyas in general... i mean really, what the hell is a hoya? :) haha

As a former SMP student who spent a year at Georgetown Med. School, I tend to think that the 5 story bunker buried behind their misleadingly beautiful colonial-style med. school building (this bunker where all the real classes and education take place) is a giant depressing cave. The place felt like a mortuary -good riddance.

demalo said:

What really matters? Their impressive match list or biased opinions from premeds? Why not ask residency directors the qualities they see in Georgetown graduates?

I have to say that I also loved G-town. It was one of the few schools which truly seemed to care not only about how much its students learn during medical school, but also about how much they grow personally into better, more responsible individuals. G-town has an excellent and reputable teaching program, and uniquely, it also helps students to keep their focus on helping others rather than constantly thinking about furthering their career options.

I felt so strongly about this that I had to register. I spent about 400 bucks getting to this interview (not including the money lost by taking days off work) so I obviously was interested in the school and it’s curriculum. Other than one of the speakers (and I’m pretty sure you can all guess which speaker I’m talking about) I can’t say that I hated the school that much. So while this lady was speaking to us about the school in the waiting room someone else’s cell phone rings. The cell phone’s owner takes the phone out and apologizes profusely. The speaker says that it is no problem and turns to me and says that she had assumed the ring had come from me because I’m from Los Angeles (I’m not quite sure what bad qualities of LA she was trying to insult me with but it still made me pretty uncomfortable). Later on in the speech she singles me out again and states that it would be stupid for me to go to Gtown and that I should save my money and go to UCIrvine(i dunno where she got Irvine from other than me being from CA). She then finished her tirade on why Gtown isn’t right for you and you should only go there if you truly believe in cura personalis. I’m definitely agreeing with the person that stated that cura personalis is just a fancy latin word for a pretty obvious and normal philosophy for any medical school. It is just hilarious that they hype it up so much. Maybe I’m bitter because both myself and my roommate were rejected post interview. At least both of us got into really good schools shortly after.

Yeah, I agree with Canttouchthis. While the woman who gave the orientation presentation was outwardly pleasant, I thought that she did not like me both because I was from California and because I am Catholic. She made a couple of comments about California that seemed to reek of stereotypes, and at least among my group of friends, Georgetown has something of a reputation for not accepting students from California, fearing that they won't move to the East Coast. I was also very put off when during Q & A time, she spent a long time explaining why a Jesuit school is good for Protestants, Jews, Muslims, Agnostics, and Atheists. I asked her what benefits the school would have for someone who is Catholic, since the school is technically Catholic (as am I). She said that there were no benefits and told me I shouldn't be interviewing if part of the reason was that the schools is Catholic. To me, that's just dumb. I ought to be able to use any criteria I'd like when choosing where to apply and where to interview. Anyway, just my thoughts. I too was rejected post-interview, so some of this is obviously bitterness, but I think they do have problems in the way that they run their admissions process too.

Georgetown admissions really does seem baffling. I know someone with a 3.2 and a 29 MCAT that was admitted (non-URM) and I know someone with a 3.8 and 34 that was rejected. Yes, I'm well aware that medical school admissions involved much more than mere stats and that I should also consider the other factors involved such as essays, LORs, ECs, etc. However, they just seem very vague and mysterious when it comes to their post-secondary "filter" approach. I just don't understand why people with higher stats get routinely filtered out.

Georgetown's undergrad does have a certain "prestige" factor. However, I don't think the medical school carries the same prestige among the medical community. I know lots of people are turned away by the Jesuit (or Catholic, I forgot which one) approach and the subsequent anti-abortion leanings of the administration of the school. I also heard horrible things about the facilities at the hospital.

striped sweater said:

I don't think this is true of Georgetown only. My school, University of South Florida, has rejected its fair share of 40 plus MCATers and 4.0 gpa students. Maybe somethings missing in their application or maybe their are soooo many qualified people that they just got to look for what they want at that moment to fulfill diversity and their program.

Or maybe, just maybe, they dont wanna risk giving an acceptance to someone who they think will not go there (too good to go there) ;)

eulogia228 said:
Georgetown admissions really does seem baffling. I know someone with a 3.2 and a 29 MCAT that was admitted (non-URM) and I know someone with a 3.8 and 34 that was rejected. Yes, I'm well aware that medical school admissions involved much more than mere stats and that I should also consider the other factors involved such as essays, LORs, ECs, etc. However, they just seem very vague and mysterious when it comes to their post-secondary "filter" approach. I just don't understand why people with higher stats get routinely filtered out.

Honestly though, haven't you been rejected from a few schools you thought you might be over qualified for, I have. In fact, so far, the only ones I have actually been "rejected" from are schools I considered backups. I am sure there will be many upper tier rejections coming in within the next month but I think it may be common for schools to quickly reject students they see as long shots using their school simply as a backup.

I withdrew from Gtown after my interview. Originally it was my first choice because I live here. The woman who gives the speech in the waiting room (we all know who she is) is awful. She kept saying "Gtown is no better than other schools and no worse, just different." Then she'd go on to say something awful about another school. People weren't picking up on it because she kept saying over and over again how she'd never say anything bad about anyone else. What a load of ....! She was so manipulative. Also she would dodge any question where her answer wouldn't shed Gtown in a good light. For instance, she kept talking about how great it was that we spent a lot of time in clinics our first year. When I asked her exactly what our duties were in the clinics, she wouldn't answer. Scut work was obviously the real answer. I agree about cura personalis, everyone does that.

I think Gtown is insecure about it's ranking but that speech just put a bad taste in my mouth. That said I know a MS1 there and he loves it.

canttouchthis said:
I felt so strongly about this that I had to register. I spent about 400 bucks getting to this interview (not including the money lost by taking days off work) so I obviously was interested in the school and it’s curriculum. Other than one of the speakers (and I’m pretty sure you can all guess which speaker I’m talking about) I can’t say that I hated the school that much. So while this lady was speaking to us about the school in the waiting room someone else’s cell phone rings. The cell phone’s owner takes the phone out and apologizes profusely. The speaker says that it is no problem and turns to me and says that she had assumed the ring had come from me because I’m from Los Angeles (I’m not quite sure what bad qualities of LA she was trying to insult me with but it still made me pretty uncomfortable). Later on in the speech she singles me out again and states that it would be stupid for me to go to Gtown and that I should save my money and go to UCIrvine(i dunno where she got Irvine from other than me being from CA). She then finished her tirade on why Gtown isn’t right for you and you should only go there if you truly believe in cura personalis. I’m definitely agreeing with the person that stated that cura personalis is just a fancy latin word for a pretty obvious and normal philosophy for any medical school. It is just hilarious that they hype it up so much. Maybe I’m bitter because both myself and my roommate were rejected post interview. At least both of us got into really good schools shortly after.

I think I was in your interview group (~Sept. 28). She was trying to be funny to loosen us up. But her speech so contrived, yet fascinating in a completely removed, philosophical way, that I think most of us were still trying to figure out what we were in for the rest of the day.

Then came the student host for the tour and lunch, where he proceeded to trade drinking and housing stories with one of the G-town undergrads in the room, interspersing, "dude" and "sweet" between every three word sentance he uttered. The guy was a complete tool.

Then came the interview with Mr. Brass Balls Orthopedic Surgeon who did little more than grimace at all of my answers before offering another stilted question right out of the interview cheat sheet. The guy was rude and doing his best to intimidate another pre-med applicant, which midway into the interview made me feel I had just waisted a ho' lotta money. Withdrew after my first acceptance.

Cura Personalis, ok sure. But these admissions people need to come down to earth with the rest of us. The students I met were pretty cool otherwise and none of them knew what this Cura Personalis deal was really about...

Maybe it's because it was the last school at which I interviewed and I was getting tired of the interview circuit (and I almost cancelled my interview there about a dozen times), but I really disliked Georgetown, probably more than any other school I visited during the course of the application process. Part of the reason I did not leave with a good impression of the school was a sense of hypocrisy that I saw in the main "either Georgetown is for you or it isn't" speech given during the day. The lady who gave the speech (her name escapes me at the moment) kept making a point about how school name does not matter one bit, turning almost defensively to those of us who attended "big name undergrad schools" and asking if it made a difference at all in the application process. When one interviewee stated that he felt it did make some difference, she shot him down, saying that it made absolutely no difference whatsoever, and continuing to say that whether you attend #1 or 120 medical school, you'll be fine. Now, I don't disagree with this, but what bothered me was the fact that once it got to measuring the success of Georgetown medical students, she immediately started throwing out match stats, saying that their students are doing residencies at Harvard and Columbia and Hopkins - ummm, ok, if name doesn't matter, why are you name-dropping to make your own school look better? Also, if it doesn't matter where you go to school, why should I waste my money on Georgetown (which is a ridiculously expensive school) when I can go to my state school (University of Maryland), which is excellent and has an amazing hospital (espeically the Shock Trauma Center), for less than half the cost of Georgetown? Additionally, they kept stressing how wonderful they are for primary care, but not only are they relatively lower ranked in the research rankings, but they are nowhere to be found on the primary care rankings. Furthermore, I personally did not care for the religious undertone at the school, which was palpable to me even though they tried to downplay this fact during the course of the day. For all these reasons and more, I felt that the school was definitely not suited for me. However, one of my closest friends went to her interview at Georgetown and absolutely loved the school, so I honestly feel that it depends on the person. Personally though, after leaving the interview day, I knew that even if I got an acceptance from Georgetown, I certainly would not attend.

drwlo said:
I withdrew from Gtown after my interview. Originally it was my first choice because I live here. The woman who gives the speech in the waiting room (we all know who she is) is awful. She kept saying "Gtown is no better than other schools and no worse, just different." Then she'd go on to say something awful about another school. People weren't picking up on it because she kept saying over and over again how she'd never say anything bad about anyone else. What a load of ....! She was so manipulative. Also she would dodge any question where her answer wouldn't shed Gtown in a good light. For instance, she kept talking about how great it was that we spent a lot of time in clinics our first year. When I asked her exactly what our duties were in the clinics, she wouldn't answer. Scut work was obviously the real answer. I agree about cura personalis, everyone does that.

I think Gtown is insecure about it's ranking but that speech just put a bad taste in my mouth. That said I know a MS1 there and he loves it.

LOL! That is so true. I definitely got a sense of their insecurities from the speech, and I agree with you about the evasiveness regarding the clinical duties. One of the interviewees asked them whether the extensive clinical responsibilities dumped on 3rd and 4th years at Georgetown had anything to do with the 80-hour limit on residents' work hours, and they totally skirted the issue. Also, I did not add this in my response but I did not get a great vibe from the students there, and my friend who loved the school and the philosophy agreed that the students who gave the tours seemed ambivalent at best.

Reckoning said:
I think I was in your interview group (~Sept. 28). She was trying to be funny to loosen us up. But her speech so contrived, yet fascinating in a completely removed, philosophical way, that I think most of us were still trying to figure out what we were in for the rest of the day.

Then came the student host for the tour and lunch, where he proceeded to trade drinking and housing stories with one of the G-town undergrads in the room, interspersing, "dude" and "sweet" between every three word sentance he uttered. The guy was a complete tool.

Then came the interview with Mr. Brass Balls Orthopedic Surgeon who did little more than grimace at all of my answers before offering another stilted question right out of the interview cheat sheet. The guy was rude and doing his best to intimidate another pre-med applicant, which midway into the interview made me feel I had just waisted a ho' lotta money. Withdrew after my first acceptance.

Cura Personalis, ok sure. But these admissions people need to come down to earth with the rest of us. The students I met were pretty cool otherwise and none of them knew what this Cura Personalis deal was really about...

Nah i wasn't there close to that date. I think people must have cellphones ring a lot for that lady because I was at another interview when a girl told me that earlier that week her phone had done the same thing during the same speech. I totally agree about her speech tho. At the time it sort of seemed selfless and motivational but once you get a chance to think about it in the context of a mediocre school in financial trouble you can see it is complete B.S.. That same lady was pretty anti-CA that whole day to me. It is pretty funny if she told another person they should just go to Irvine too. I hope people's cell phones ring during her speech more often.

canttouchthis said:
Nah i wasn't there close to that date. I think people must have cellphones ring a lot for that lady because I was at another interview when a girl told me that earlier that week her phone had done the same thing during the same speech. I totally agree about her speech tho. At the time it sort of seemed selfless and motivational but once you get a chance to think about it in the context of a mediocre school in financial trouble you can see it is complete B.S.. That same lady was pretty anti-CA that whole day to me. It is pretty funny if she told another person they should just go to Irvine too. I hope people's cell phones ring during her speech more often.

Oh well, there was one poor guy from CA who experienced the exact anti-CA jokes. Apparently she had them waiting for you, just needed the cell phone to ring to trigger them. And yes I think it was Irvine...

I am from CA and got in! In fact they called me to tell me I was in and they look forward to seeing me in Aug. Also, the fact that she knew where you were from and the schools you went to, doesn't that say they do care about the people they are interviewing. Sullivan and Georgene both knew all of the names of the people in my group before they met us. Pretty impressive!

demalo said:
I am from CA and got in! In fact they called me to tell me I was in and they look forward to seeing me in Aug. Also, the fact that she knew where you were from and the schools you went to, doesn't that say they do care about the people they are interviewing. Sullivan and Georgene both knew all of the names of the people in my group before they met us. Pretty impressive!

On my interview day they didn't have time to memorize our names. She told us flat out that she comes in early to memorize everyone's name for the day. She was running late that morning and couldn't do it. They only remember them for that day. I hardly think its impressive to memorize 10 names and cities for one morning. She came in later and you could tell she'd looked at our folders because she started calling us by name Or trying to at least. She kept confusing 3 of us because "we looked so much alike." Whatever, we were all brunette. I must look exactly like half the population.

ms2209 said:
LOL! That is so true. I definitely got a sense of their insecurities from the speech, and I agree with you about the evasiveness regarding the clinical duties. One of the interviewees asked them whether the extensive clinical responsibilities dumped on 3rd and 4th years at Georgetown had anything to do with the 80-hour limit on residents' work hours, and they totally skirted the issue. Also, I did not add this in my response but I did not get a great vibe from the students there, and my friend who loved the school and the philosophy agreed that the students who gave the tours seemed ambivalent at best.

Ding! One of the things that bothered me was the mandatory rotations MIII and MIV. Granted, I'm not going to med school to slack off, but they kept singing how they want humanist, well rounded doctors, but give the students no time to do anything else. It seemed like more cheap labor for the hospital, but overall the school didn't seem bad, the students seemed happy, and I would gladly go if it was my only option. Fortunately, it is not!

True story. On my interview day, after walking though a building during our tour and exiting outside to overlook the trees, one of the interviewees asked "so, where's the hospital?" Tour guide's reply "Ah...we just walked through it."

I thought I liked Georgetown. Sent in my $100 and got rejected almost immediately after. (3.95/37 FWIW). anyone else got a pre interview rejection from Georgetown, yet got interviews at HMS, cornell, P&S etc.?

Despite their religious affiliation, I think georgetown use something akin to black magic (or dart tournament at a pub crawl) in their selection process. :laugh:

I just thought I would add my two cents. I really liked Georgetown from the moment that i stepped onto their campus. The students were really helpful and the tour was relaxed and informative. In addition, a M4 came into the fishbowl and chatted with us for over 20 minutes and answered many of our questions.

I am still waiting to hear my fate at Georgetown after my interview, but I really liked it and I would definately attend if accepted.

canttouchthis said:

What's wrong with Irvine? :confused:

I absolutely fell in love with Georgetown. In fact, I'm surprised you all hated it. I seriously got chills from Mrs. Sullivan's talk about the environment Georgetown hopes to foster. But hearing the mixed reaction from the thread, I can only assess that she was right and the school is not for everyone. As for me, I just hope they fell for me the way I fell for them on my interview day. So please, please, please reject them and maybe then I've got a shot!

kwc1979 said:
I absolutely fell in love with Georgetown. In fact, I'm surprised you all hated it. I seriously got chills from Mrs. Sullivan's talk about the environment Georgetown hopes to foster. But hearing the mixed reaction from the thread, I can only assess that she was right and the school is not for everyone. As for me, I just hope they fell for me the way I fell for them on my interview day. So please, please, please reject them and maybe then I've got a shot!

This really goes for any school. The admissions staff can tell you anything they want about the school. You really dont have the resources or ability to define a school in a six hour day. Any school can claim to be about curing the whole person or serving the underserved, but the only way you can really know that is by BEING there. Thats why aside from superficial evaluations, try to take the advice of someone thats been there for longer than a day. Take the fluff that admissions staffs give you with a grain of salt.

sweatybrain said:
I thought I liked Georgetown. Sent in my $100 and got rejected almost immediately after. (3.95/37 FWIW). anyone else got a pre interview rejection from Georgetown, yet got interviews at HMS, cornell, P&S etc.?

Despite their religious affiliation, I think georgetown use something akin to black magic (or dart tournament at a pub crawl) in their selection process. :laugh:

I am in the same boat as you. After my application fee was received, my rejection was so fast and swift that my head is still spinning. Funny though how quite a few top 10 schools thought I was good enough for an interview. Your loss Georgetown! :p

FloridaMadame said:
I am in the same boat as you. After my application fee was received, my rejection was so fast and swift that my head is still spinning. Funny though how quite a few top 10 schools thought I was good enough for an interview. Your loss Georgetown! :p

After rejecting me within a matter of seconds of being complete (several months ago), I recently received a postcard from them informing me of some sh*tty post-bac program for minority students (!!!) The nerve!!! Did anyone else get this? First off, I'm not a minority student (confirming that no, they didn't read my application), second, it's pretty freakin rude to turn your rejection pile into a junk-mail list for a glossy postcard that arrogantly implies every other school apparently shares your (baseless) contempt for rejectees!! So I essentially paid them $100 to send me insulting advertisements!!! :thumbdown:

kwc1979 said:

Done. BTW, Mrs Sullivan during her speech said that she reads this forum from time to time. I wonder what she thinks of this thread.

MRS. SULLIVAN, if you're reading please share your thoughts!!! Does this negative reaction to Georgetown surprise you?

I'm interviewing at Georgetown in a few weeks. So I'll get to experience the interview process first-hand when I get there. I hope my experience will be a positive one!

hi everyone,
im not playing sides here, but you all know that the whole process is a crap shoot and added to that the fact that gtwon gets close to 8000 apps a year it would be hard for them to not turn away some VERY qualified applicants (for some reason or another), despite many of these applicants being top-10 school material.

i think i was in the fishbowl with you when this happened...

canttouchthis said:

medguy47 said:
i think i was in the fishbowl with you when this happened...

Reading back over it i suppose it wasn't that big of a deal.(Sorry Mrs. Sullivan) I think it was the fourth interview in a row where something to the effect of "why are you here if you just want to stay in california" was brought up in a way that i couldn't defend myself. This one definately put me over the edge. After this one I really couldn't picture myself going east unless it was to the south. Do we californians really come off as that stuck up on the interview circuit? I'd like to make the observation that we are usually quiet and asian, and aren't the kids talking about their ivy league education and who they know from which house at harvard. I also don't understand why interviewers at schools like georgetown always bring up something like why not just go to UCSF if you are interested in research and are from the Bay. Its like Jesus H. Christ if I could go to UCSF, i would, and if you could work there you probably would too. Do they really want us to tell them we'd choose Gtown over SF?

microman said:
I have to say that I also loved G-town. It was one of the few schools which truly seemed to care not only about how much its students learn during medical school, but also about how much they grow personally into better, more responsible individuals. G-town has an excellent and reputable teaching program, and uniquely, it also helps students to keep their focus on helping others rather than constantly thinking about furthering their career options.

Good job speaking up for your school microman.