Hatred for Georgetown?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
If I had gotten rejected in 2 days post secondary like you all say, I would have placed a stop payment on the check. Im sure they dont go to the bank everyday so they likely would not have deposited it. There is no excuse for that type of behavior and swift action.

Members don't see this ad.

this is true... gtown's first year average gpa was 3.7

gintien said:
georgetown takes about 20-30 georgetown 'special masters' students which is geared toward students who have lower MCAT and GPA's then the rest of the incoming class...I think this is what deflates Georgetown's GPA and MCAT, giving the illusion that they have a lower GPA and MCAT acceptance rate...Boston University also has a similiar thing with their masters program and in addition, I think boston U has a undergrad-med program so again, thats why I think BU's GPA and MCAT numbers are misleading.

demalo said:
So is there anything horrible about the school or is this dislike associated more with their application process?? It seems like they have to be doing something correct to have be producing so many of the neuros and orthos, right?

I just don't see this "BAD SIDE." My interview went great with them. The students and admissions members seemed happy. They called me personally to congratulate me on my acceptance prior to receiving the letter. It just seems like the hatred is really unfounded. I understand this is not a member of the top ranked schools, but G-town seems quality. I don't understand the bad wrap.

Dude, that's like telling a white supremacist that their hate for African-Americans in unfounded. The point is there is something they detest about Georgetown that you will not understand b/c you developed a contrasting perspective.

congrats on all your success! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
katec12345 said:
they claim to be unique in their "cura personalis" philosophy, but the only thing that's unique is the name; all med schools (at least all the ones I've been to) have the same philosophy without the fancy latin name.

I don't think they claim to be unique... their point, from what I understood, is that it is emphasized.

Also, I think the fact that people feel so divisive about georgetown does make me feel that maybe it is "for you or not."

Finally, stopping the tiptoing around names: Even if you didn't enjoy Mrs. Suillivan's speech, to think that she was being purposefully manipulative shows a lack of ability to read character. Memorizing names the day of the interviews... yeah not as impressive as being some sort of idiot savant that can memorize everyone from the start, but it shows that they care about individuals.

Of course it's true that some schools reject people because they don't believe those students will actually attend, but that doesn't only have to do with GPA and MCAT. There was obviously something in those applications that put up red flags for the Georgetown admissions committee, because, obviously there is at least one 40 MCATer admitted. My guess would be a lack of understanding about what the school is about.

I love the part on SDN interview feedback that calls Sullivan a used cars saleman...spot on!

demalo said:
But don't most private ( not top 10-15) have relativley low researh budgets
(under 100M)and high tuition? Dartmouth, Brown, Wake, Tufts, Jefferson, MCW, GW, Tulane...and the list keeps going. It seems like there is something else there that I am not quite grasping. I can understand the rejecting relatively well-rounded candidates right after the secondary as being part of it-BUT most of my backup schools rejeceted me right away. It seems like there is some genuine dislike coming from somewhere.

And for that reason there is no such thing as a back up school when applying to medical schools.