Have a decision

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Blah8

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys,

for all you guys in a similar situation out there, I am looking for some advice so I can make a quick decision so I can open some more spots for everyone else out there.

I'm a NY resident, haven't heard back from either state school yet, so I assuming wait list, which I wasn't hoping for, but there's nothing I can do about it now. From what I've read, people are assuming UB's waiting list will be extremely slow moving, so for everyone else out there, I'm guessing I shouldn't stay hopeful? I'm sitting on acceptances from nj, penn, pitt, and nyu and to be honest, have no idea which to put my deposit into right now. Pitt and nyu to be completely honest seem too expensive. I liked from what I saw from Pitt and NJ but really don't think i saw enough to steer me one way or the other. Does anyone have any sort of info or advice that can help me out on the decision? Also, does anyone have any info on the SUNY waiting lists? I saw someone on here that said they were on an alternate list, which I have never heard of before. I was just wondering if that was above the waiting list or simply the same thing with a different name? Thanks a lot for any advice or info you guys might have.

Members don't see this ad.

I've heard that you can get reclassified as a resident at Pitt, I am guessing that will help with the cost at least a little bit. I don't know much about NJ, but since I got rejected from my first choice, Michigan, and heard that you can get reclassified at Pitt, I am really leaning toward Pitt.

wow u got into Penn? Congrats!!

I would go there from the schools you have listed, its just an awesome school and its in a good afforadable location compared to NYU. But NYU is great too. I would just choose Penn :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Personally, UPenn.

NJ is a great school for clinical experience and it is pretty affordable considering you can be considered a resident after the first year. All of the students I talked to seemed really happy there and the faculty was really nice. Only drawback is Newark...I wasn't too impressed with it. I don't really know anything about Pitt, I didn't apply there/never been there.

I think Penn is a better choice! UMDNJ is at Newark and I am not a fan of the city! If you decide to go to UMDNJ, make sure to commute and not live on campus since area around campus is not safe!

thanks for some of the input. i know a current professor from penn and he was leading me towards straying away from the school, i'd have to talk more to him to find out the exact reasons why. I am not overly concerned about safety issues (grown up and lived in/near big cities entire life), so with that, are there any current nj matriculants that have anything to say about the school? i just read on a previous thread that someone mentioned that NJ, some might be able to qualify for in state for even the first year, but i've also heard from students that the dorms (pretty much the only place to live near the school) are extremely expensive. does anyone know about the pittsburgh living situation, and for the person who said they were seriously considering pitt, are there any reasons in particular? I was impressed with the facilities, etc. but in the end, I think it might end up simply coming down to a cost of living issue for me. Thanks a lot again guys.

...are there any current nj matriculants that have anything to say about the school? i just read on a previous thread that someone mentioned that NJ, some might be able to qualify for in state for even the first year, but i've also heard from students that the dorms (pretty much the only place to live near the school) are extremely expensive....

I wanna know more about UMDNJ as I have an acceptance there as well. Can anyone currently going there give us more info about obtaining NJ residency and living situation outside the dorm?