Have any of the DO schools mentioned what 2015 MCAT score they will be looking for?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GreyF0X

FoxHound
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Title. Wondering if any DO schools mentioned what score from the new 2015 MCAT scale they will be looking for? What does everyone think about pre-meds who will be taking the new MCAT? Will they be at a disadvantage, since they are thrown into a test ( not as much prep material available for it and established like the current one) or will they be at an advantage since most medical schools cant really gauge what score is competitive or not? Would like to hear your opinions.

Members don't see this ad.

So far I have not seen anything in regards to desired scores on a per school basis. I think it is still too early for that. Maybe next cycle will have a lot more info on edu websites. I will be taking the 2015 MCAT; this both excites me and worries me. The changes (I believe) are in the best interest of the students. Taking some emphasis off of physics and organic and placing it on psychology and biochem is a smart move and it is one that I am preparing for now. Are we at a disadvantage, perhaps? The first years worth of tests are more than likely going to be percentile orientated than raw scores. What I mean by that is it isn't how well you did against the test, it's how well you did against everyone else. Maybe the first year everyone scores about a 28 (what ever the translation of that score is) and that's maybe in the 85th percentile, you want score above that to be better than 85% of the test takers. The score may vary, but you want to be on the higher end percentile wise.

Just my two pennies and again I am no expert. I would love some input as well.

Oh and btw, I'm currently reading Kaplan's MCAT 2015 books and I'm happy with the overall quality so it may be something to consider.

The admissions faculty here have stated that they'll be looking for the same thing in terms of percentiles in terms of the old MCAT.

A big emphasis now is that you have to be good in more areas then just science and verbal reasoning.

Members don't see this ad :)
So far I have not seen anything in regards to desired scores on a per school basis. I think it is still too early for that. Maybe next cycle will have a lot more info on edu websites. I will be taking the 2015 MCAT; this both excites me and worries me. The changes (I believe) are in the best interest of the students. Taking some emphasis off of physics and organic and placing it on psychology and biochem is a smart move and it is one that I am preparing for now. Are we at a disadvantage, perhaps? The first years worth of tests are more than likely going to be percentile orientated than raw scores. What I mean by that is it isn't how well you did against the test, it's how well you did against everyone else. Maybe the first year everyone scores about a 28 (what ever the translation of that score is) and that's maybe in the 85th percentile, you want score above that to be better than 85% of the test takers. The score may vary, but you want to be on the higher end percentile wise.

Just my two pennies and again I am no expert. I would love some input as well.

Oh and btw, I'm currently reading Kaplan's MCAT 2015 books and I'm happy with the overall quality so it may be something to consider.

I looked at all that's going to be on the new MCAT, the materials don't seem that bad. I was a Bio major so most of the Biochem thats introduced, I have good amount of exposure over. I was watching a video where the aamc reps said that they were focusing on making the test more than something you can just memorize, but use critical/analytical skills more-so than the current exam. How do companies like Kaplan and EK make their materials so quickly? Does AAMC give them some sort of VIP access to their materials?

The admissions faculty here have stated that they'll be looking for the same thing in terms of percentiles in terms of the old MCAT.

A big emphasis now is that you have to be good in more areas then just science and verbal reasoning.

I just hope the new MCAT is graded and scaled fairly.

equivalent percentile is really the only thing you could go off of.

Me too. I think that's why they've been using the trial section. To see where most people score and where they can make their percentile scores based on that data.

Heres the 2013 MCAT percentile scale vs a Hypothetical 2015 MCAT scale

8mXIVLx.png
ZfEyc9A.png

Reactions: 1 user
@GreyF0X when was that hypothetical table made?

Looks like 506-508 will be the sweet spot for a solid MCAT score. The hard part here is doing that in all sections and how it will perceived if one doesn't do so hot in a non-science intensive section.

472-528..... so awkward

Reactions: 2 users
472-528..... so awkward

Yeah, it kind of bothers me that they scaled it to 528 and not 530. lol. There are 4 sections, the lowest you can get is a 118 and the highest being a 132 per section.

P6oucYC.png

Here's a sample score breakdown:

cm4ZPWx.png

I would say that if they base the scores off of the normal curves created by how everyone did on the experimental section, a person could "slam dunk", "ace", "hit a homerun" whatever sports reference you prefer. I can say from first hand I had a section on Psychology, did I prepare at all for Psychology? NO! so how could my residual memory of Psych 101 compare to someone who prepared for the subject? Time shall tell, but in my ill informed opinion I would say that if you plan to re-apply for the 2016 cycle that you should retake the test, and early.

lol they are so cheezy with their stethoscope bell curves

I would say that if they base the scores off of the normal curves created by how everyone did on the experimental section, a person could "slam dunk", "ace", "hit a homerun" whatever sports reference you prefer. I can say from first hand I had a section on Psychology, did I prepare at all for Psychology? NO! so how could my residual memory of Psych 101 compare to someone who prepared for the subject? Time shall tell, but in my ill informed opinion I would say that if you plan to re-apply for the 2016 cycle that you should retake the test, and early.

they aren't going to do that I don't think. that's why they budgeted 60 days before score reporting for the first few tests instead of the 30 days.

Reactions: 1 user
However they do it I feel like it will be hard for admissions committees to compare the old to the new test particularly with applicants with similar applications. They also have to figure out the "lethal threshold." I just feel like the normality curve will be funky this and its going to be an issue when it comes to the last few seats in a class

I think the scaling is strange that they didn't make it out of a solid number. But anyway, I like that it is out of a bigger number. There were plenty of times on my practice test where I was one question away from each section from scoring a point higher. I'm convinced that I was 3 questions away from scoring 3 points higher on my MCAT lol.

For those having to take the new test, I would plan ahead so you have time to take the test more than once since it is difficult to gauge the test since there isn't a bunch of practice tests like there were for the old one.

I sure wish you kids would quit fussing about this. It will take us a few years to get used to the scores. Until then, we'll rely on %iles.

Title. Wondering if any DO schools mentioned what score from the new 2015 MCAT scale they will be looking for? What does everyone think about pre-meds who will be taking the new MCAT? Will they be at a disadvantage, since they are thrown into a test ( not as much prep material available for it and established like the current one) or will they be at an advantage since most medical schools cant really gauge what score is competitive or not? Would like to hear your opinions.

Reactions: 5 users
I thought the old MCAT was the stupidest test ever, this one is taking the cake.

Reactions: 1 users