Have any post-bacc students had trouble getting LORs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tofurkey

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am a post-bacc student, and I'm in the process of wrapping up my LOR-seeking.

I have two science profs already, plus two undergrad profs, plus a job reference.

I want to get two more science, and two clincial.

The problem is that my science profs here at my post-bacc don't know me very well. Since I'm only taking one class with each of them, and unlike undergrads I'm only on campus to take classes (and thus don't have them as advisors or see them during a person's major (college major) events, etc.) I don't really think they know me in the way they should to write a glowing letter. All they can really say is how I did in the class.

My undergrad, clinical, and job letters should be much better, because I've had more of a chance to get to know these people.

Is anyone in a similar situation--and can they shed light into how they handled it?

Thanks,

Tofurkey

Members don't see this ad.

I had a couple of profs like that write me letters. I had no choice since most of my profs I only had for 1 semester as a post-bac. I made up for it by having several other very strong letters from people who knewe me well and for a longer time. I also gave the profs I'd only had for a semester a copy of my resume and personal statement so that they could put it in context. I got to read one of the letters and it was decent... pretty much a how I did in the class letter + a few of my activities thrown in. No one seems to have held this type of letter against me.

I'm also a post-bac and had to get my science recs from two profs who only had me for one class. For one of the profs, I stopped by his office over the summer (when I knew he wasn't teaching), and just chatted with him for about an hour. We completely connected and I think he wrote me a great letter. I didn't get to read it though, but I did get 10 interview invites and six acceptances. My stats are NOTHING to brag about, so I have a feeling his letter was good.

I was lucky that he took the time to chat with me for so long. You might want to make an appointment with your letter writers, provide a resume and just try and sell yourself. Treat the appointments like an interview.

Good luck!