Have ERAS automatically updated with

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ilovewaiting

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are the advantages/disadvantages of not having ERAS automatically updated when CK and CS scores are released?

Members don't see this ad.

What are the advantages/disadvantages of not having ERAS automatically updated when CK and CS scores are released?
Pretty self-explanatory, no? If they're automatically updated, ERAS sends them out to all of your residency programs when they receive them. If they're not automatically updated, you have to manually release them. Which one's better for you depends on how much weight you have on your Step 2 and how well you do.

So, if it is not automatically released you can determine when they get your scores if you are unhappy with step 2. What if you failed CS? Could you then delay updating ERAS until a retake and pass? Would you then have the option of only sending the pass?
Basically, Im a little worried about not having passed CS. I wont get score until October, and want to know if it is wise to not have it automatically updated in teh small chance that I failed.

So, if it is not automatically released you can determine when they get your scores if you are unhappy with step 2. What if you failed CS? Could you then delay updating ERAS until a retake and pass? Would you then have the option of only sending the pass?
Basically, Im a little worried about not having passed CS. I wont get score until October, and want to know if it is wise to not have it automatically updated in teh small chance that I failed.

The only thing you can control is when/if they get released, not what gets released.

If you release your scores automatically, any time a new score is reported, it will be released to all programs.

If you choose manual release, you get to choose when and to whom it gets released. But everything you've ever done on a USMLE exam will be in that release. So if you fail a step and then later re-take it and pass, when you release your transcript, it will show that you first failed it and then passed it the 2nd (hopefully) time. It's not like MCAT where only your most recent score is reported.