Have I lost my chance to go to vet school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

flockofdoves

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello friends,

I am applying to vet school this cycle. When I was a first year in undergrad, I accidentally turned in my final one minute late which resulted in me getting a warning letter from the honor board telling me to be more mindful of my time but I was not punished for it otherwise. I know I have to disclose this on my application. Do you think this will keep me from getting into vet school?

Members don't see this ad.

No. You're fine.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
So as long as I disclose it I'll be okay?
As long as you fill out VMCAS appropriately in that specific section, you should be fine. A warning letter isn't going to make or break your application.

Reactions: 1 user
" 'Thing' happened. I have been very careful since then and took the reprimand seriously."

That's probably it yo. I doubt they care too much.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello friends,

I am applying to vet school this cycle. When I was a first year in undergrad, I accidentally turned in my final one minute late which resulted in me getting a warning letter from the honor board telling me to be more mindful of my time but I was not punished for it otherwise. I know I have to disclose this on my application. Do you think this will keep me from getting into vet school?
My first year of undergrad I was in a very bad place mentally, and ended up failing several classes. Mostly due to outright failing to turn in much of the required work. There was no simple mistake, no understandable error- I messed up big time. I just didn’t have the mental capacity to force myself to keep up. I took a few years off, worked on getting myself better, reapplied to the same school and was accepted again (I was honestly surprised but thankful) and of course I came back on academic probation. I did well from that point on, but I still had a huge stain on my academic record. Arguably much worse than your pretty minor offense. Despite that, I’m currently in my first year of vet school.

Of course you still have a chance!
The application has a section to explain any extenuating circumstances or to explain anything you think needs clarification. My advice would be to explain the situation there, being open, honest, AND taking responsibility for it. Admit you made a mistake, explain any factors that contributed, cover what happened as a result (the letter) and how you learned from it/what you did to change and grow from it. As others have stated, that seems like something very far from being the breaking point of your application. Frankly, a thoughtful, mature, (honest) and self-aware response to it may make it a non-issue, or even a strength for you. You’ve got this!

It’s weird to me that this is a thing, but I don’t see it being something anyone cares much about.

Reactions: 4 users
Hello friends,

Is there something on your transcript saying you got a letter about this? What is an honor board anyway? Usually you need to list if you have any academic reprimands that appear on your transcript, but if you just got a letter saying "hey don't do this again" and it wasn't a formal reprimand, I don't see why it would need to be mentioned at all.

Reactions: 3 users
Is there something on your transcript saying you got a letter about this? What is an honor board anyway? Usually you need to list if you have any academic reprimands that appear on your transcript, but if you just got a letter saying "hey don't do this again" and it wasn't a formal reprimand, I don't see why it would need to be mentioned at all.
This... maybe go to the registrar’s office and/or the honor board and ask if this warning shows up anywhere on your record. If it wasn’t an official thing, I’m not sure it needs to be mentioned.

Reactions: 1 users
This... maybe go to the registrar’s office and/or the honor board and ask if this warning shows up anywhere on your record. If it wasn’t an official thing, I’m not sure it needs to be mentioned.

Agreed.

And if it turns out you do need to mention it; I wouldn't make a big deal out of it. No hand-wringing and long-winded explanations. Just "this occurred. here's what happened. I went on to graduate with honors" or whatever is appropriate. Always briefly explain the negative and re-focus onto the positive. Don't hide it, but don't highlight it.