Have NYCOM interview, question about recommendation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stephentyler20

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm sorry if this was posted elsewhere, i did a search and didn't come back with much...

I have a NYCOM interview scheduled for end of March (late applicant). My committee letter has already been submitted, and I have the secondary application that NYCOM sent me.

What I'm lacking is a DO recommendation letter. I know it's not technically required, but I'm wondering if it makes sense to try and get one with such late notice. I do work occasionally with a DO who is very nice and I get along with well, but she doesn't know much more about me than my job and that I want to go to medical school... Would it be inappropriate to ask, or just go for it?

I'm really stressing here... This could be my only shot at medical school this year, and if I can get it, I WANT it!

Members don't see this ad.

To answer your question, don't get the DO letter just for the sake of getting the DO letter. There are plenty of people who applied without the DO letter and had no issues about it. Yes it is nice, and if you feel like you have a good rapport with this DO, then I don't think there should be a problem asking. If she doesn't feel comfortable doing it, then I wouldn't sweat it.

Another thing: If you don't mind me asking, when did you apply and when did you recieve your interview invite/secondary in the mail??? I'm still waiting to hear from them.