have you ever thought of Optometry?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

4u2see

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok...so why is it when you are "a bright student" in HS and college counselors push you into medicine or dentistry. Why not optometry?? I chose optometry over MD and DDS/DMD and I LOVE it. It isn't any easier to get in or any easier classes but I picked it over the others. Has anyopne else thought about it...? most optometrist are older caucasians and URM need to consider this profession to represent our communities....
just my 2 cents... needed a forum to vent. :cool: :)

Members don't see this ad.

As a person that wears glasses of course we need optometrist so set the stage for us. You are right there are not many URM's in the field.

Ok...so why is it when you are "a bright student" in HS and college counselors push you into medicine or dentistry. Why not optometry?? I chose optometry over MD and DDS/DMD and I LOVE it. It isn't any easier to get in or any easier classes but I picked it over the others. Has anyopne else thought about it...? most optometrist are older caucasians and URM need to consider this profession to represent our communities....
just my 2 cents... needed a forum to vent. :cool: :)

i thought about it bc i have horrible vision but for some reason it just doesnt spark my interest like it should... im sure we do need more urm representation in this field... im glad you chose to do it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks!! I found it interesting b/c my mom had glaucoma. All of my counselors pushed me to medicine and/or dent. I love the fact that I will be able to help people not only see better but I will also at as a primary care provider. So many diabetics and HTN in our communities will be found and monitor thanks to the eye. The retina will tell how well these patients are managed. Optometrists can do more than just glasses and contacts all day.... we can treat infections, inflammations, glaucoma, we just don't do surgery... and that is fine w/ me... I considered the OMD v OD and I prefer the primary care aspect....
Thanks for the support!! :)

honestly i had no idea you guys did all that... woow thats awesome. i guess i would have know if i was going to go to that specialty.... woow im speechless.

We certainly need smart people going into optometry, but like most things many minorities have very little exposure to fields like optometry. I think its important for people to figure out what they want though; if you want to be the absolute last stop for the care of the eye (i.e.-treat many disorders of the eye AND cut the eye, etc) then the MD route is for you, but if you don't see the need the spend 9 years after college getting any M.D. to treat surgical disorders of the eye then go for it, but you have to know yourself and what you want for your life. I certainly think that minorities need more exposure to optometry.