Have you had residents or attendings ignore you in the clinical years when you say you’re going into radiology?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

odyssey2

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I had a surgical resident who told me on my first day I shouldn’t bother taking histories since I’m going into radiology, and an OB GYN who basically forgot I existed once I told her what I was interested in. Have you had any similar experiences in med school or even in your prelim year?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I get picked on at conferences to read cxr/CT scans as a prelim going into rads. Your preceptors probably thought they were doing you a favor by making it easy for you (and for themselves). Hopefully with Covid your clinical grades are now p/f, but if not just don't tell people you're interested in rads.

Yes. I think with the exception of like 2 rotations, I felt completely written off after expressing interest in rads. It’s weird but it’s like people think I’m just automatically disinterested in the rotation once I tell them that.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I had a surgical resident who told me on my first day I shouldn’t bother taking histories since I’m going into radiology, and an OB GYN who basically forgot I existed once I told her what I was interested in. Have you had any similar experiences in med school or even in your prelim year?

Absolutely and its amazing. Sometimes I even volunteer that I am going into rads so they will expect less.

Reactions: 7 users
I thought you were NS? Saw the light lol?

realized I wasn't going to get 10 publications by ERAS submission lmao

Nah but on a more serious note, DR is definitely the path for me after thinking over things.

Reactions: 5 users
When I was in Med School I expressed my interest in Radiology during my first IM rotation and got incessantly bullied by one of my attendings because of it, haha. Never again.

When I was in Med School I expressed my interest in Radiology during my first IM rotation and got incessantly bullied by one of my attendings because of it, haha. Never again.
What did he say?

What did he say?
It was more of a passive-aggressive type of bullying that lasted the entire 4 weeks. I just remember her saying stuff like "Don't you have to be a good medical student to get into Radiology?" lol. Tbh I didn't knock the rotation out of the park but it definitely was unnecessary and I learned my lesson the hard way.

In my MS3 surgical rotation, I said I was undecided and wanted to explore all of my options. In all others, I was IM/primary care/exploring all options and wanted to learn as much as I could. Everyone pretty much left me alone.

I was never really treated very differently from anyone else except the attendings might have done a bit of pimping on some imaging/CXR. I was keen and generally interested in everything, which at least for attendings generally outweighed other things when it came to teaching.

If anything a few attendings in primary care tried to persuade me my personality was a better fit for primary care rather than what they thought radiologists were like.

Reactions: 2 users
I was never really treated very differently from anyone else except the attendings might have done a bit of pimping on some imaging/CXR. I was keen and generally interested in everything, which at least for attendings generally outweighed other things when it came to teaching.

If anything a few attendings in primary care tried to persuade me my personality was a better fit for primary care rather than what they thought radiologists were like.
Antisocial weirdos I’m guessing?

I'm starting to think that my experience was not the norm and I just got unlucky with that specific attending.

I’ve been ignored by attendings who had no idea I was applying rads. I’ve also been ignored by surgery attendings when I was interested in surgery. I think most people are just busy and don’t care.

Every attending in rotations that I have told I am interested in radiology has tried to relate their specialty back to radiology and give me ideas of what they want from radiologists. I also asked for these things and stressed "I want to understand what you do and how you do it so I can be a better asset in the future." Only one that ignored me was OB Gyn, can't help that.

They all told me I made a great decision except for one guy worried about AI and outsourcing lol.

Reactions: 4 users
Most are positive. Some lookwarm to rads. Some say I should consider their field since I'm good with people. 1 said bots are gonna take my job.

My classmates who were on surgery who said they wanted to do surgery def got worked harder than I did, but I feel like they still wanted me to learn. IM i feel like they took me seriously because they know I have to do an intern/TY year.

Psychiatrist laughed at my assumed lack of interest the first day but I think eventually understood I was actually still interested in it even if I didn't want to do it.