have you received any secondaries yet?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
lol well like 10 of the schools im applying to have no secondary prompts....and they are not finalized...ive written them all and gone over them a time or two but thats it...ive lost interest in doing them until the real thing gets here. Besdies i cant win until i add 2 more schools!! :p....whats wrong with us applying to so many schools anyways :)
I'm going to beat all of you because I'm adding 4 more schools once my AMCAS is verified. Yep folks, that'll be 50.

Elijah still wins in the number completed, though. I still have all my screening schools to do plus another 10.

Members don't see this ad.

i need to take a break but i already feel behind, not even verified yet!!

so how elaborate are you guys making your answers to the essay questions? some of them have like 5000 word limit bibliography :eek:

as much as i wished the PS limit could be extended, i wish all secondaries were as limited as GW (limit 5 lines max) :p

have you submitted your primary yet?

I'm going to beat all of you because I'm adding 4 more schools once my AMCAS is verified. Yep folks, that'll be 50.

Elijah still wins in the number completed, though. I still have all my screening schools to do plus another 10.

That is a lot of schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
so for schools that dont screen are we gonna get the secondaries right when they get the application?! if that's the case im kinda screwed applying to over 30 schools :smack:

Nope. Most will come in July, some will trickle in in the early part of August.

i'm not asking this to be mean; i really am curious. why would you apply to schools through AMCAS and not fill out the secondary? especially if you're on SDN and well informed prior to applying-- it's not like schools' requirements or secondary prompts should come as a complete surprise after you submit the primary. someone want to enlighten me?

I didn't submit secondaries to two schools last time I applied. One was because they switched from screening to not screening, and I learned that they heavily favor research experience, which I didn't have. Not worth submitting the secondary. The other I was kinda iffy about adding in the first place, and after I read that they really don't like younger applicants, I decided it wasn't worth it either.

So what is the general consensus about when most secondaries start coming in? Do they come beginning of July, or do most start coming middle/end of July like 3rd/4th week? Assuming you submitted right at the beginning and are already verified? I'm asking because we were planning on doing a week trip as a combination vacation/looking at certain states to see how areas/schools are. We can't go in August because I have summer school, so if I had to miss a week in July, would you recommend the beginning or more towards the end? Thanks.

The beginning would probably be best. Fewer come in the beginning, and it's easy to turn them around pretty quickly when you have an idea of what to talk about. Besides, if you suddenly really like an area, you can talk about it in the secondary, rather than waiting and hoping for an interview.

Nooooooo..... now my quest for world domination will fail bc I couldn't complete the first step: apply to the largest number of schools on SDN :(

haha but somehow 50 seems >>>>>> 46 even though it's only 4 more schools, idk why lol

good luck fellow long-lister :)

i need to take a break but i already feel behind, not even verified yet!!

so how elaborate are you guys making your answers to the essay questions? some of them have like 5000 word limit bibliography :eek:

as much as i wished the PS limit could be extended, i wish all secondaries were as limited as GW (limit 5 lines max) :p

lol wait till you see penn states, its been the same for 2 years now...that one is ****ing sweet. 50 word limit ahha :love:. Most arent 5000 word or w/e...3 that come to mind are loyola, vandy, and UCSD. UCSD and vandy heavily screen primaries so i wouldnt worry to much about those. loyola is long....but w/e the prompts are all that hard imo.

lol ****...i forgot about koko...2 years of going 50+...you are the all time winner period. I bow down :bow:

Nooooooo..... now my quest for world domination will fail bc I couldn't complete the first step: apply to the largest number of schools on SDN :(

Watch... despite my attempt with 50 schools, I'll still epically fail by the end of this cycle.

All I want is love. And I'm willing to pay. :(

Watch... despite my attempt with 50 schools, I'll still epically fail by the end of this cycle.

dude you are going to get in...if you dont theres something wrong with this process...ill boycot amcas :)

The beginning would probably be best. Fewer come in the beginning, and it's easy to turn them around pretty quickly when you have an idea of what to talk about. Besides, if you suddenly really like an area, you can talk about it in the secondary, rather than waiting and hoping for an interview.

Thanks very much.

And I thought I had a lot with 39 last year and 38 MD + 5 DOs this year...

Members don't see this ad :)
yes just 2 days ago =)
The weekends really slow them down. Or at least this past weekend did. They've had a 1 day verification turnaround until now; they've been working on 6/15 for the past few days.

The weekends really slow them down. Or at least this past weekend did. They've had a 1 day verification turnaround until now; they've been working on 6/15 for the past few days.
Talking about AMCAS? I don't think that's right... just looking at the verification thread, only those who submitted on the first day had a quick turnaround (and even then, not all of them). Most had a ~6 day turnaround, it doesn't seem they've gotten to 6/10 yet.

It's weird, because last year seemed to have been a lot faster.

Talking about AMCAS? I don't think that's right... just looking at the verification thread, only those who submitted on the first day had a quick turnaround (and even then, not all of them). Most had a ~6 day turnaround, it doesn't seem they've gotten to 6/10 yet.

It's weird, because last year seemed to have been a lot faster.
Wait... what does the status in red font on the login page mean?

When it says they're entering transcripts received on 6/15, doesn't that mean they're using them to verify grades?

Wait... what does the status in red font on the login page mean?

When it says they're entering transcripts received on 6/15, doesn't that mean they're using them to verify grades?

No, that just means they're entering the transcript into the system. So, instead of saying "waiting for transcripts" if you submitted, it will say "ready for review". They only put you in line to be reviewed once they've received all your transcripts.

No, that just means they're entering the transcript into the system. So, instead of saying "waiting for transcripts" if you submitted, it will say "ready for review". They only put you in line to be reviewed once they've received all your transcripts.

they have a series of progressive msgs as this poster points out...one is "waiting in line to be reviewed" or something like that...until you get that one, and the one that follows, you are in a wait mode...

My advisor sent us an email from AMCAS last week saying that in the first week alone, over 4700 apps were submitted, or 10+ percent of the total that is expected. It is not surprising that they are backed up...

here is the snippet:

> AMCAS opened for submission last Tuesday, June 2nd. As of today, we have
> over 4,700 submitted applications.

That was in just one week.

they have a series of progressive msgs as this poster points out...one is "waiting in line to be reviewed" or something like that...until you get that one, and the one that follows, you are in a wait mode...

My advisor sent us an email from AMCAS last week saying that in the first week alone, over 4700 apps were submitted, or 10+ percent of the total that is expected. It is not surprising that they are backed up...

here is the snippet:

> AMCAS opened for submission last Tuesday, June 2nd. As of today, we have
> over 4,700 submitted applications.

That was in just one week.

That is crazy number. 4700? No wonder mine took a few days.

Last year the turn around time for verification on an app submitted 2 weeks late was about 2 weeks. So if you submitted today, you can probably expect verification around July 2 or 3.

I'm annoyed. I got a transcript received notice (the last one they were waiting for) on 6/15 and now I just got another email for the same transcript saying they got it on 6/17. After the first email, it already said ready for review. So which is it AMCAS?! Which is it??

<sobs>

hey guys. last year the first secondary i got was from the medical college of wisconsin during the last week in june. the last secondary i got was from loyola in early august. i applied to 19 schools and received secondaries from all of them. expect about two-three a week from late june through the end of july (more if applying to 20+ schools). once august hits almost all schools will have sent them out. there was a secondary date thread for the 08-09 applicants that will give you a guideline as to when to expect one from a partiucular school.

fyi - this process really sucks. i applied to 19 schools, got secondaries from all of them, and was granted 9 interviews, 8 of which i attended. i spent between 4k and 5k on app fees, airfare, hotel, meals, car rentals, gas, ect. also, most of these secondaries require multiple essay questions. i highly reccommend saving your essay responses in word so you can simply paste it on another app. quite a few apps use very similar questions, so it can save you time and energy. and trust me, writing essay responses over and over again, especially during the summer when you could be at the beach, gets really old fast. good luck to all of you. its really worth it when you get that accptance letter in the fall!

hey guys. last year the first secondary i got was from the medical college of wisconsin during the last week in june. the last secondary i got was from loyola in early august. i applied to 19 schools and received secondaries from all of them. expect about two-three a week from late june through the end of july (more if applying to 20+ schools). once august hits almost all schools will have sent them out. there was a secondary date thread for the 08-09 applicants that will give you a guideline as to when to expect one from a partiucular school.

fyi - this process really sucks. i applied to 19 schools, got secondaries from all of them, and was granted 9 interviews, 8 of which i attended. i spent between 4k and 5k on app fees, airfare, hotel, meals, car rentals, gas, ect. also, most of these secondaries require multiple essay questions. i highly reccommend saving your essay responses in word so you can simply paste it on another app. quite a few apps use very similar questions, so it can save you time and energy. and trust me, writing essay responses over and over again, especially during the summer when you could be at the beach, gets really old fast. good luck to all of you. its really worth it when you get that accptance letter in the fall!

Thanks! It's great to hear a clear response from someone who's been down the road before.:thumbup:

Last year the turn around time for verification on an app submitted 2 weeks late was about 2 weeks. So if you submitted today, you can probably expect verification around July 2 or 3.
I know someone last year who submitted on 6/10 and was verified by 6/12. Much quicker turnaround than this year.

oh nooooo :scared:

i should probably stop checking my email every second then :eek:

i knowww,but it has unfortunately became a habit :p

maybe its taking longer because this year schools dont get the applications till june 24th, did they get it right away last year?!

i knowww,but it has unfortunately became a habit :p

maybe its taking longer because this year schools dont get the applications till june 24th, did they get it right away last year?!

I think schools receive them on the 24th.

I applied to 46 schools and I've got rough drafts/brainstorming done for all of my essays and 3 secondaries completely done so far.

however, 8 schools that I applied to screen to I may not get all 46 :xf: haha

:)

I LOVE schools who screen secondaries - especially those who only give secondaries to those with an interview.

Now THAT's using effort wisely.

and of course, only two or so of my schools do that kind of thing.

does anyone know the link to the secondary timeline for last year?!

No, there's always been about a 3 week lag in the time they open for submissions and the time they send out the first applications to schools. The exact dates vary slightly from year to year (I think it was June 20th two years ago), but that lag has always been there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueElmo
That is crazy number. 4700? No wonder mine took a few days.
Effing SDN.

At an AMCAS workshop at my school my advisor mentioned SDN, and it seemed like nobody knew about it. Needless to say everyone wrote down the link, and there went my little secret. :(

yea I applied to 27. It's not going to be fun. But I already started working on them. I find that write them down in a little notebook. I find it easier to type up after. Also a lot of the questions are repeats and some schools might not even have secondaries. So it won't be too hellish. good luck to all

We should start getting emails in couple of days, hopefully.

^Yeah I am guessing schools will start sending out emails end of this week or definitely starting next week.

did anyone get something from dartmouth (letter and some book about the school) about how you are either minority/disadvantaged and they look forward to seeing your app or something? When isaw something from dartmouth i thought maybe it was an early secondary lol :(

which schools have their secondary already available? i have come across columbias, washu, and yale. someone mentioned in this thread GWU, but i seem to be having trouble finding it... ?

Amazing what these secondaries will do to you. I can't believe that even with an 8-6 job, I churned out 3 one page essays in a single day and they were all pretty decent!!!! 2ndry season haven't officially started yet, but I am already making excellent progress.

did anyone get something from dartmouth (letter and some book about the school) about how you are either minority/disadvantaged and they look forward to seeing your app or something? When isaw something from dartmouth i thought maybe it was an early secondary lol :(

They are trying to recruit more URMs. I think they had only just one African-American in their class last year.

Hey everyone! I am applying to 50 schools as well and dreading the secondaries, but fortunately a lot of them screen. I've started working on secondaries a bit, too. I submitted my amcas on the 12th, and it's still not verified. I keep checking amcas, but I was wondering if amcas emails you when you are verified? Also, if you are verified after the 24th, do you get a separate email when your amcas is actually sent to the schools, or is your app automatically sent to schools at that point?

Thanks! :)

Yes, AMCAS emails you when you are verified. And AMCAS will not send your app. to schools until it is processed and verified.