Haven't heard back from schools...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Med1992

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I applied in June, got secondaries in July, submitted most of them in either August or September. I have a pretty low GPA (science GPA is around 3.1 and overall is 3.3), did a post-bacc and got a 3.7 GPA in that, and got a 507 on my MCAT. I have a semester of research experience, tons of volunteering/extracurriculars, leadership, clinical experience, etc.

The only thing I've heard from any school is two rejections. Other than that, not a peep. No interview invites, nothing. I'm getting kind of worried, but then some people say you never know when it can happen or when it will come and just to be patient. But I feel like I see everyone here hearing back (some people with similar stats as me), so it's just kind of getting to me... I applied to MD and DO.

What do you all think at this point? Should I be worried? Should I maybe get into more contact with medical schools about my interest?

Members don't see this ad.

No I mostly did state schools on the East Coast. There might've been a couple of reach schools here and there, but other than that, all the schools were either my state's schools or the OOS friendly ones in nearby states. MD and DO.

Members don't see this ad :)
im in the almost exact same boat as you. nothing we can do except wait and continue trying to become a stronger applicant :/

Reactions: 1 user
I applied in June, got secondaries in July, submitted most of them in either August or September. I have a pretty low GPA (science GPA is around 3.1 and overall is 3.3), did a post-bacc and got a 3.7 GPA in that, and got a 507 on my MCAT. I have a semester of research experience, tons of volunteering/extracurriculars, leadership, clinical experience, etc.

The only thing I've heard from any school is two rejections. Other than that, not a peep. No interview invites, nothing. I'm getting kind of worried, but then some people say you never know when it can happen or when it will come and just to be patient. But I feel like I see everyone here hearing back (some people with similar stats as me), so it's just kind of getting to me... I applied to MD and DO.

What do you all think at this point? Should I be worried? Should I maybe get into more contact with medical schools about my interest?
MD schools want much better MCAT performance from reinventers.

The schools know you're interested....you sent them an app. Contacting them now will only scream of desperation.

As for DO schools, it's only October.

Also, sometimes you just have to wait. Some schools even order their interview invitation based on other factors like state of residence or historical data about attendance. Bottom line, nothing to do but wait. @bananafish94 can probably attest to this.

Keep on pushing on, just be patient and keep a backup plan in the background to improve your application next year.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Was in a very similar situation so I thought I’d share my experience. I have identical uGPA and my first MCAT was also a 507. Applied without any post bacc/SMP and got no love from DO or MD schools. Added an SMP (got a bit higher gpa, but yours is still good!) and then retook the MCAT after the SMP and bumped my score up to a 516 - now have 4 II and an acceptance! I really think the SMP helped obviously, but I don’t think I would have as much success without my MCAT bump.

When did you take your MCAT? Before or after your post-bacc? If before you should definitely consider a retake, especially since your science background will now be solid and hopefully your study skills are good too (this is what helped me).

Also, sometimes you just have to wait. Some schools even order their interview invitation based on other factors like state of residence or historical data about attendance. Bottom line, nothing to do but wait. @bananafish94 can probably attest to this.

Keep on pushing on, just be patient and keep a backup plan in the background to improve your application next year.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app
This is all true.

OP, it's black magic. Nobody knows exactly what each school is thinking. Frustratingly, like others have said, the only thing you can do at this point is wait and hope for the best. That being said:

A) once the schools have your money, they have no reason to keep you around if they're not interested. So the fact that you've only received two rejections tells me you're a contender at many of your remaining schools.

B) You sound like a solid applicant and I think you'll hear something, especially from the DO schools.

Good luck!

welcome to the silent squad population 892458794785