Having a pet while in Dental School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kiwipie

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm planning on going to Dental school in the Fall of 2009. I am thinking of adopting a puppy and was wondering if having a dog while in Dental School would be a bad idea. Are people able to manage taking care of a dog and doing well in classes?

Members don't see this ad.

i plan on having a dog next year

Members don't see this ad :)
I think a cat is a better pet for dental school. They require a lot less maintenance but in return they don't have the personalities dogs do. I have a cat and would really like to get a puppy but I think it would require too much attention. Anyone currently in d-school who has a puppy/dog and doesn't have a wife/husband/kid who stays at home more and takes care of it?

I think a cat is a better pet for dental school. They require a lot less maintenance but in return they don't have the personalities dogs do. I have a cat and would really like to get a puppy but I think it would require too much attention. Anyone currently in d-school who has a puppy/dog and doesn't have a wife/husband/kid who stays at home more and takes care of it?

Yeah, ME!!!

The dog sure has some sleepy days while she sits around the house, barks out the window at passers-by, and naps while waiting for us to arrive home. But she has a good life, runs around the backyard a lot and goes for plenty of walks in the evenings.

If you want a dog, get one. If you are afraid it will be lonely during the day, get two and they can keep each other company. Its not that much work at all.

Reactions: 1 user

yeah....i think cats are better pets for dental students.

Cats are the way to go...

Meow :)

yeah....i think cats are better pets for dental students.

Cats are better pets for people that don't want a pet. ;)

The OP is interested in having an actual PET. A dog specifically. I encourage that endeavour.

I'm planning on going to Dental school in the Fall of 2009. I am thinking of adopting a puppy and was wondering if having a dog while in Dental School would be a bad idea. Are people able to manage taking care of a dog and doing well in classes?

You should have a dog as you can always say " my dog ate my wax up!". DP

Dogs rule, cats drool. Get a dog.

I was totally looking into adopting a puppy too, but everyone keeps telling me it wouldn't be fair for the dog to spend more than half the day by itself.
My friend is in law school and she's always reading and doing her school work at home so it works out for her b/c she has the company. DSchool is a little different though - we have to spend a lot of time in the pre-clinic/clinic.
What do do?

Kiwipie - let me know what you decide to do. I was thinking about waiting until I start school and see how my course-load is and then decide....
:p

Also, remember to take COST into consideration...

I was totally looking into adopting a puppy too, but everyone keeps telling me it wouldn't be fair for the dog to spend more than half the day by itself.
My friend is in law school and she's always reading and doing her school work at home so it works out for her b/c she has the company. DSchool is a little different though - we have to spend a lot of time in the pre-clinic/clinic.
What do do?

Kiwipie - let me know what you decide to do. I was thinking about waiting until I start school and see how my course-load is and then decide....
:p

Also, remember to take COST into consideration...

I agree with all points in this post. Dogs and cats are animals that require social interaction - and a lot of it - for normal development and over all quality of life. They're huge responsibilities and it's not fair to the animal if you end up being swamped with school with only a couple of hours to spare because you need to spend time perfecting your class II prep or wax-up technique. Look at it from the eyes of a puppy - would you want to be holed up in an apartment, lonley and bored, with only a minimal amount of time spent with the major source of affection before he/she passes out in bed. I sure as hell wouldn't. It's not enough to just love an animal as it needs so much more. I urge you all to start school first and then see if you have the energy and resources needed to devote to it before you leap into an unknown situation.

Yep. That's exactly what I plan on doing... and that's the only reason I didn't get a dog yesterday!

A rabbit is an option too. They don't need a lot of attention so you can leave them while at school and from what I've heard, they are fairly affectionate.

I'm currently in dental school and I have cats and a dog. Dogs are definitely more demanding of your time and a puppy would be unthinkable. If you must have a dog, adopt an adult dog. At least then you don't have to worry about dealing with the additional attention requirements of a puppy. I honestly don't think I could care for a puppy at this point. If you're single and don't have anyone at home to pick up the slack, an adult dog is more than enough. If you can't commit to walking your dog every single day and giving it attention no matter how tired or busy you are at the end of the day, don't get one. Get a cat. They have demands for attention too, but at least you don't have to worry so much about exercising it and letting it outside for potty breaks!

Dog + Doggie Door = good times

I want to get a puppy/dog... but I probably won't as long as I live in an apartment. The dog would be alone most of the day and cooped up in an apartment without a backyard to run around in.

This is a non-issue for me since I already have a dog. Although my mom would love to take her, I wouldn't even consider not having her. She always puts a smile on my face when I've had a miserable day...and I know that I'm going to have a few of those in d-school.

Cats are better pets for people that don't want a pet. ;)

The OP is interested in having an actual PET. A dog specifically. I encourage that endeavour.
:mad:

I like both cats and dogs...just can't take care of a dog while i'm in dental school.

I would hope that you would be able to take care of a dog while in school. I am and I must be the most irresponsible person in the world.....well maybe... my wife takes care of the dog and I play with him during study breaks. You can do just fine in school and have a pet, those crazy mormons have mountains of animals AKA children and they do just fine!!

Not mormon hating it's just a stereotype that always seems to be true. For example all my study budies are mormons with multiple kids.

I will start school in July, so my experience is only one sided. I got a puppy a year-and-half ago, a Boxer, and I had no idea the real demand a puppy requires. As another poster said, if you have somebody else to share the responsibility with it may be feasible, but if it's only you, good luck. Think about waking up several times in the middle of the night to let your dog out to go the bathroom. They say puppies can hold their bladder an hour for every month-old they are (not always the case though). Even a day of classes is longer than a puppy can hold itself! If you want a disciplined dog that wont destroy your house/apartment you will have to take it to training courses. The dog will have to be exercised, socialized, and trained. Also, don't expect you puppy to just sit by your side while you study at the kitchen table. If there is something for them to get into, they will. Though i guess it is do-able alone, it is definitely not something I would do while entering a time in my life that is so time demanding anyway. Dogs are awesome when trained and well behaved, but unfortunately they don't come "made to order" that way. There are countless hours of patience and training that go into raising a dog. Good luck. I would really like to know how the experience goes for those of you planning on getting a PUPPY right before your first year of dental school:laugh: :laugh:

I think having a pet in dental school is a good stress reliever. We adopted a one year old Bichon Frise, and its a joy to have her around. I am taking 21 credits right now and I come home exhausted, but after being with her for an hour, all of my stress just melts away.

Mind you, I have a wife who is willing to take care of it while I have long days at college and I know I will have the same routine at the dental school. If I didn't have my wife to take care of her, while I am away during the day, I don't think we would have adapoted her.

Dogs can be demanding, but than again they are also very trainable.