Having a recommender call the admissions office after a waitlist.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medthrowaway

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone done this before? My PI said he would do this for me to give a vocal recommendation. Is this frowned upon? Should he just email them?

Members don't see this ad.

Has anyone done this before? My PI said he would do this for me to give a vocal recommendation. Is this frowned upon? Should he just email them?

email or send a letter. calling seems haughty.

I haven't heard of anyone doing this... but from my understanding, some schools don't rank their waitlists until late April/early May. Having a recommender call on your behalf either (all in my opinion, of course):

1) Won't do anything right now, since it's too early.
2) Will backfire on you, because
a) They've already heard what the recommender has to say
b) It suggests that you're not confident in communicating with the ADCOM yourself

In short... don't do it. If it's a school you're really keen on, send them a well-written letter explaining why you're excited about their program and why you think you'd be a great fit for the school.

Members don't see this ad :)
If your PI wants to do it, he obviously thinks it would be a good thing, and I think he should trust his gut and so should you. I don't think it will hurt, if anything, it will be ignored/never reach the ad com. If you're still nervous about it, maybe check with your pre-med advisor or talk to your PI about your worries. I know a couple of doctors who'll make phone a call to a school on behalf of a waitlistee, so it definitely does happen.

The doctors I'm working with this year essentially only make phone call recs (perhaps solely because it's faster for them than going through the process of writing and sending a letter). My PI called a school on my behalf before I even got an interview (and then I got an interview, and then I got accepted), but my stats and ec's were a good fit for the school too. He also called on behalf of another research assistant for whom the school was more of a reach and he didn't get an interview. So, I don't think it will definitely get you in anywhere, but I do think it might be stronger than an additional letter from the PI - super busy docs often ask other people or the applicants themselves to write LORs, a phone call is definitely from them! - and it's demonstrating that the PI has a real belief in you and wants to ensure that the school knows that he didn't just give you a template LOR or anything - you rock, and you would be a great addition to the school's incoming med school class!

Good luck!

Not sure how much calling in would help unless your PI is a famous or well known doctor or something.

Not sure how much calling in would help unless your PI is a famous or well known doctor or something.

Even with this, if I were an adcom I wouldn't give a krap. I really doubt a call will sway the decision of a school to admit you. They understand and can see right through desperateness.

I'm a bit surprised how negative this thread is because my premed advisors said that on some occasions, a call from a well-connected advisor can help.

I'm a bit surprised how negative this thread is because my premed advisors said that on some occasions, a call from a well-connected advisor can help.

Yes, if my advisor adored me and was drinking buddies with the dean of admissions, I would say definitely tell them to go ahead and call. If not, I wouldn't want them to call for me, it seems awfully parent-ish

Phone calls are part of the game. When it comes time for matching into residency, someone who can vouch for you is important. I can't imagine having a letter writer call on your behalf being a negative contribution to your application.

Tell him/her to call.