Having a roomate during residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

saanjana

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all!

So, I'm considering getting a roomate during intern year, but as soon as I mention the idea, everybody shuts it down :eek:. So on the plus side, it seems like it would be nice to have a roomate since the hours are long, and I'd get pretty lonely if I came home to an empty appartment. Also a great way to keep sane, and share hospital stories with someone.

It seem like a no-brainer to me, but practically everyone in my residency lives by themselves....phew! I know the privacy issue can be huge...but in general...how do you guys feel about having a roomate?

Members don't see this ad.

I had a roommate during intern year and it worked out OK. It was nice to split the bills. I think it would only work if you can function independently in the space you share (e.g. separate bathrooms). It might have helped that my roommate was in a different specialty, so we didn't bump into each other at work.

I personally had very good experiences with roommates in college, we're good friends galore!

i think it's up to you. for many resident it's a non-issue because they're married/engaged/living with SO. if you can get a 2BR/2BA place and share bills, you'll save a lot of money. your profile says you're in florida, so unless that's miami rents aren't too high (yet). all that said, we're also in our mid to late 20s (or older) and want the privacy that all adults need. when looking at potential roommates though, you need to carefully consider your lifestyle and decide if you want to share that with anyone other than a SO, but for people to just shoot down your idea is silly. do what you want.