Having lots of doubt about Med school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mmiller1998

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
I’ve found myself to be having a lot of doubt around medical school. I’ve wanted to pursue this option to specialize in psychiatry but I find myself way too interested in mental health, although I know psychiatry is a medical specialty. I’ve noticed I’m not very happy about the coursework in undergrad and feel a little slugish while completing it.. did anyone else feel this way? May this be hinting that Med school May not be the right choice for me? Would appreciate opinions.

thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know enough about you or your interests/personality to give you a definitive answer about what you should do, but I can provide you with some insight (as student who will be applying to psychiatry residency):

1. First and foremost, psychiatry will be a mere sprinkle on the entire sundae of material that you will have to swallow and regurgitate throughout medical school. Yes, you can try to bring it up or add it to the conversation whenever possible, but be prepared for eye rolls. Throughout my first two years, psychiatry was a mere 3 weeks of material.

2. I was committed to psychiatry prior to going to medical school. I knew what I was getting myself into and I was prepared to not be over the moon learning about stuff I didn't love (e.g. OB, pulm, and ENT)...however, just because I didn't love it, didn't mean I wasn't interested. Whenever possible, I tried to apply what I was learning at the current time to things I was passionate about. By trying my best to do the aforementioned (as well as pushing myself to perform at my best during third year in every rotation), I gained an immense appreciation for the interplay between mind, body, and the socioeconomic determinants that influence both. Now, I couldn't imagine studying psychiatry without knowing the foundations of 'proper' medicine.

3. Once you hit the floors, you will deal with mental health issues and socioeconomic disparities in essentially EVERY specialty. I remember during my third year I was assigned to outpatient plastic surgery throughout the year and I was dreading it, I thought "This could not be further away from my true interests...". However, I quickly came to see that a lot of what plastic surgeons do (at least pre/post-op) is reassurance and 'framing'. I think my work in plastics third year was one of my most memorable psych experiences thus far.

Nobody can tell you whether or not you should go to medical school by a single post. However, what I can say is that medical school is what you make it. If you have zero interest in learning anything outside of the mind, well, maybe that should tell you something. And if you only want to be a psychiatrist without also wanting to earn the title of physician, then I would keep far away from medical school (as you will end up being crappy at both, since you can't truly be one without the other).
I sent you a message! Thanks for
Your reply.

Wow! I'm having the same issue. I love medicine because I can provide complete care to my patients and know everything that needs to be known. But at the same time, I've realized that the specialty that I enjoy the most is psychiatry. The thing is that I want to do also psychoanalysis and psychotherapy to my patients, and I know that I can do that as a clinical psychologist. I know that I will be happy in both careers, but is hard deciding which path to choose. I like clinical psychology because you start from day one to learn about the human mind, but I feel like there are so many people graduating from these schools, and I do not know the career outlook in the upcoming years. I like psychiatry because I can do both medical treatment and therapy, and I know the career is stable and in demand. Still, I do not want to become a medication management physician only.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Wow! I'm having the same issue. I love medicine because I can provide complete care to my patients and know everything that needs to be known. But at the same time, I've realized that the specialty that I enjoy the most is psychiatry. The thing is that I want to do also psychoanalysis and psychotherapy to my patients, and I know that I can do that as a clinical psychologist. I know that I will be happy in both careers, but is hard deciding which path to choose. I like clinical psychology because you start from day one to learn about the human mind, but I feel like there are so many people graduating from these schools, and I do not know the career outlook in the upcoming years. I like psychiatry because I can do both medical treatment and therapy, and I know the career is stable and in demand. Still, I do not want to become a medication management physician only.
Wow! I’m not alone. As of now I’m looking at becoming a prescribing clinical psychologist. I have spoke to a few in NM and they have a lot of autonomy and do Med management along with therapy.. however, it seems like we are both in the same boat and it’s frustrating.

I still haven’t closed off the psychiatry door once and for all. I still consider it. Just a very hard decison.

It’s also important to know what you truly like. Psychiatrists do more than prescribe medicine. They have to interpret tests they have ordered, check Med interactions, overall they are medical professionals and it seems to me like you are more interested in the therapeutic side of things! Psychologists can prescribe in 5 states, some less restrictive than others. I advise you to look at them and do your research. Dr. Caroline Williams is a prescribing psychologist and practices very similar to a psychiatrist. I’ve shadowed her as well. She strictly does Med management now, but I know I want to do therapy as well, so it depends on your interests. When you go to Med school you will be learning almost everything but psych. You may get 3-4 weeks of it in your second year, and your rotation in 3rd year. I’m not in Med school but have done lots of research. Do what makes you happy, not what makes you most rich. :)

Reactions: 1 user
Wow! I’m not alone. As of now I’m looking at becoming a prescribing clinical psychologist. I have spoke to a few in NM and they have a lot of autonomy and do Med management along with therapy.. however, it seems like we are both in the same boat and it’s frustrating.
If you want to prescribe, please go to medical school. These prescribing clinical psychologists have a lot of autonomy in prescribing medication without comprehensive education in physiology and whole body pathology. It would scare me to be in that position, and I hope that it would scare you as well. If it's only to do some basic things like SSRIs/SNRIs, then leave that to primary care physicians.

I understand the need to fill a gap especially in places of need, but there's no reason to choose improper education in order to meet it. The majority of psychologist training revolves around psychotherapy, which is in dire need in mental health. A psychologist can have a fulfilling career centered on therapy and change the lives of many people. Everyone has their own roles and specialties. It's best for the patient's health to delegate each need to someone who is best equipped to handle it.

I'm in the exact same boat. I have to make a decision on my med school offer and I am so indecisive. My background is Neuroscience and I would love to practice knowledge of the brain and mind. My intention is to become a well rounded brain/mind/body expert and mainly solve my patient's problem with non medicinal interventions. Is 11 years of education an overkill for such purpose? Is the high fee of visiting a psychiatrist justified for patients? they might as well go to a counsellor/therapist/psychotherapist? but I feel like one needs to be able to understand and examine the body as well...

Hi all,
I’ve found myself to be having a lot of doubt around medical school. I’ve wanted to pursue this option to specialize in psychiatry but I find myself way too interested in mental health, although I know psychiatry is a medical specialty. I’ve noticed I’m not very happy about the coursework in undergrad and feel a little slugish while completing it.. did anyone else feel this way? May this be hinting that Med school May not be the right choice for me? Would appreciate opinions.

thanks.
Med schools aren't going anywhere. Take some time off to revaluate your interests and life.

Reactions: 2 users
Hi all,

thanks.
What do you mean sluggish? Well I'd definitely want to at least be good at it or enjoy it somewhat. You are dealing with the material in some form during residency and practice. I don't think that means med school isn't for you, I think you just have to think about the reasons you're going into med school.
You're not necessarily going to be using the cell bio, genetics, biochem stuff in premed when you're a doctor, it's much more clinically oriented. I wouldn't give up yet.

If you want to prescribe, please go to medical school. These prescribing clinical psychologists have a lot of autonomy in prescribing medication without comprehensive education in physiology and whole body pathology. It would scare me to be in that position, and I hope that it would scare you as well. If it's only to do some basic things like SSRIs/SNRIs, then leave that to primary care physicians.

I understand the need to fill a gap especially in places of need, but there's no reason to choose improper education in order to meet it. The majority of psychologist training revolves around psychotherapy, which is in dire need in mental health. A psychologist can have a fulfilling career centered on therapy and change the lives of many people. Everyone has their own roles and specialties. It's best for the patient's health to delegate each need to someone who is best equipped to handle it.
I would like to do therapy and prescribe medicine when it is needed.. but I feel as if psychiatrists can do more.