Having scripts filled at your home pharmacy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NaOH

IT'S PAAFEKTO!
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Firstly, apologies if this has been discussed before.

Having recently started work as a tech, I have a question for those here who work in a pharmacy - do you get your own personal prescriptions filled at the store you at work at? For some reason, I feel a bit hesitant to do so. As convenient as it would be, I'm not sure how I feel about people I work with/for having knowledge of whatever meds I may be taking, even if it's something innocuous.

Am I just paranoid?

Members don't see this ad.

I've thought about the same thing before. I would honestly go to a different pharmacy. I like to keep things confidential, and not let people I work around know what I take.

Members don't see this ad :)
I wouldn't get anything filled at the pharmacy you work at that you wouldn't feel comfortable telling your coworkers you're on, if you can help it. Although it seems like pharmacy is a somewhat small community, and we are supposed to respect patients' privacy. Still, you can control what you do; you can't really control what others do.

^^ Exactly. I filled medications at my home store only when I was comfortable letting people know what I was taking. Things like abx or OC's are ones I see a lot.

If I had a raging case of herpes, I'd probably head to another independent where records aren't linked to other stores.

I used to get mine filled elsewhere.
Almost all my coworkers had theirs filled at our pharmacy, even things like antidepressants.... When one of your bosses is on hormone replacement, you can't help but wonder when she's acting a little overly emotional ;)
Up to you, but we're all prone to judgments even when we think we're not. Better safe than sorry?

I get my prescriptions filled at my pharmacy for convenience sake and because I don't have to pay the dispensing fee. As far as privacy is concerned, I really don't care if my co-workers know I use birth control or have an eye infection. I can definitely understand not wanting co-workers to know about chronic medical conditions (or infections like STIs!).

The thing about where I live is, every time a pharmacist fills an Rx, he/she is able to view all the prescriptions you have filled at all other pharmacies in the province within a certain time frame. So to "hide" your Rxs you'd have to make sure to never fill an prescription at your own pharmacy, even for something innocuous.

Having recently started work as a tech, I have a question for those here who work in a pharmacy - do you get your own personal prescriptions filled at the store you at work at? For some reason, I feel a bit hesitant to do so. As convenient as it would be, I'm not sure how I feel about people I work with/for having knowledge of whatever meds I may be taking, even if it's something innocuous.

Am I just paranoid?
I agree, the people I work with though all get their things filled at the home pharmacy. There's a certain level of trust between us. I only have rx's filled at my home store if i'm sick and need the RX. I know they'll churn it out in 5 mins + they'll know i'm not lying when i call out yay haha :thumbup:

Am I just paranoid?
I never did...too many nosy people.

I'm afraid to get my Rx filled and that I'll run into an intern I go to school with...lol. It's only birth control but I'm overly paranoid about people judging me with something like that. I agree it depends on your level of comfort with your coworkers and what you are okay with them knowing.

The kind of insurance I have, I must fill my prescriptions at the pharmacy chain I work at... and even the other local chains nearby share techs and sometimes pharmacists so I'm kinda screwed since no matter where I go It's very possible I'll run into someone I've worked with :/

if you are filling 4 azithromycin at a time, i would go to a diff pharmacy... lol ;) been seeing that a lot at my pharmacy recently

lots of my coworkers have been fillin xanax lately. :eek: yeaaa it's pretty stressful at my store. it's nice to have something filled at your own store as long as you're okay with everyone else knowing what you're getting filled (ahhaha at hippa)

on the bright side, i found out my coworkers sister was bipolar.......now i know who to avoid. harrrrrr

well if you work at a big chain , even if you go to another store, people can still central search you and find your info. so if you do have an rx you want to keep on the dl, i would go to an independently owned or small grocery store pharmacy.

well if you work at a big chain , even if you go to another store, people can still central search you and find your info. so if you do have an rx you want to keep on the dl, i would go to an independently owned or small grocery store pharmacy.

In BC any pharmacist can search and find ALL of your rxs filled anywhere in the province up to a year ago !!

No where to hide!

Hey, if you don't do anything bad you have nothing to be afraid of...I could care less about what others think I take...I have only used one medication before and it hasn't been filled since I was 17 (for mild acne)

However, If I had to get something filled it would be at Target instead b/c their price is the SAME as Walmarts and their service is as good as Walgreens! ;)

Hey, if you don't do anything bad you have nothing to be afraid of...I could care less about what others think I take...I have only used one medication before and it hasn't been filled since I was 17 (for mild acne)

However, If I had to get something filled it would be at Target instead b/c their price is the SAME as Walmarts and their service is as good as Walgreens! ;)

I was kidding. See my previous posts, I fill my prescriptions at my pharmacy all the time! I can understand people wanting privacy though, nothing wrong with that.