Having trouble deciding between Specialties

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DocBrain

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello every one long time reader first time poster.
I'm in my final year of medical school, and I'm having a tremendous amount of difficulty deciding on which speciality to go into. I have narrowed it down;

Psychiatry
Neurology
Neurosurgery
Plastic Surgery

I am very interested in the brain and mind as you can see by my username. I have considered a combined Psych/Neuro, and ideally I would go into that. However, I also have a desire to be a surgeon. Its caused a lot off stress as Im sure a lot of you know, and I just can't seen to choose. Some insight would be helpful guys.

P.S In my country pay is generally standardised across medical specialities for the government sector. Most doctors after certain years of practice work for both gov and private sector in which pay may differ.

Thanks,

DocBrain

Members don't see this ad.

P.S In my country pay is generally standardised across medical specialities for the government sector. Most doctors after certain years of practice work for both gov and private sector in which pay may differ.

British!!!

I am very interested in the brain and mind as you can see by my username. I have considered a combined Psych/Neuro, and ideally I would go into that. However, I also have a desire to be a surgeon. Its caused a lot off stress as Im sure a lot of you know, and I just can't seen to choose. Some insight would be helpful guys.

Neurosurgery. Don't get married and read this thread http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...rosurgery-internship-ask-me-anything.1133777/
/close thread

So may me assume that in your country you have two foundation years prior to applying for specialty training?

May we also assume that in your country that you are competitive for any one of these specialties?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
British!!!

Star-Trek.gif

The first three specialties are related, but then how did you get plastic surgery? Just wondering about your thought process.

odd mix of interests!!

Go with neurology or psychiatry - if you can do a nonsurgical career, go for it. You'll be happier in the long run.

You really must decide surgery vs not. If you can live without doing surgery then neurosurgery is not for you, you must eat, breathe, and live the need to do surgery. If you are debating if you need surgery to be a part of your life or not then neurosurgery is not for you.