Having trouble getting my final 2 LORs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Amberofthemomen

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, applications will be ready for submission in 8 days and I'm having a lot of trouble getting my final 2 LORs.

This is really getting on my nerves. I contacted both of these professors way back in January and had regular correspondence with them since then, but once mid April rolled around, I lost all contact. I've met with one of the professors twice in regards to a letter. Both have agreed to write them. I've handed them CVs, and I've sent the interfolio request. One of the profs told me to message her so that she could give me a questionairre. I did that, but haven't gotten a response.

I understand that they're both very busy, but sheesh, I can't submit secondary applications without these final two letters (both science professors, I have my DO letter and an MD letter from the PI of the lab I worked in).

Is anyone else having problems similar to this? I make sure to space my emails out so that I'm not pressuring them, but at this point, I've sent 2 emails to each of them with no response. It would be a great weight off my mind if I didn't have to worry about this uncertainty, especially with a looming june 20th mcat, and a PS that is in the final stages of completion.

Members don't see this ad.

Do they have an office you can show up at? That's what I've had to do for one.

Same--my final LoR--my adviser turned a 180 on me. She is leaving our school this summer.

I emailed her earlier this week for a meeting and she said no. Wth.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm sorry man. I feel for you. Getting LoR are the most bs part of the application process.

Last edited:
Might be a stretch, but you can always offer to write the letter for them.

When I was getting my letters last year I phrased it something like ''I know your time is invaluable. If it would be beneficial to the letter writing process I am more than willing to write a rough draft for your convenience.'' Something like that.

Luckily my writers wrote the letters for me but if push comes to shove you might need to show up in their office with a letter that you wrote and see if they consent to signing off on it

When I was getting my letters last year I phrased it something like ''I know your time is invaluable. If it would be beneficial to the letter writing process I am more than willing to write a rough draft for your convenience.''

oh my god, I would never be able to get myself to ask such a thing. most of my teachers are the type that are on the up and up.

anyways, I was scared my LOR werent gonna make it here by the time the app opens up, but luckily 2 LOR's were received by interfolio this week. Its so refreshing to get that email notice from Interfolio.

So, applications will be ready for submission in 8 days and I'm having a lot of trouble getting my final 2 LORs.

This is really getting on my nerves. I contacted both of these professors way back in January and had regular correspondence with them since then, but once mid April rolled around, I lost all contact. I've met with one of the professors twice in regards to a letter. Both have agreed to write them. I've handed them CVs, and I've sent the interfolio request. One of the profs told me to message her so that she could give me a questionairre. I did that, but haven't gotten a response.

I understand that they're both very busy, but sheesh, I can't submit secondary applications without these final two letters (both science professors, I have my DO letter and an MD letter from the PI of the lab I worked in).

Is anyone else having problems similar to this? I make sure to space my emails out so that I'm not pressuring them, but at this point, I've sent 2 emails to each of them with no response. It would be a great weight off my mind if I didn't have to worry about this uncertainty, especially with a looming june 20th mcat, and a PS that is in the final stages of completion.

Even though professors are busy people, it still does not condone that they take 2 + months to write a letter. Writing a LOR does not consume that much time.

The main thing is to establish relationships with every professor you can and ask all of them for a LOR. If one flakes out, then at least you have other professors writing you a letter. Better to have more letters than you need rather than less.

I feel you man, one teacher just ignored my request after asking 3 times and the other agreed to a letter and now completely ignores me. Visiting isn't really an option either.

I hate asking for letters, especially when I come from a public university with so many students..

I feel you man, one teacher just ignored my request after asking 3 times and the other agreed to a letter and now completely ignores me. Visiting isn't really an option either.

I hate asking for letters, especially when I come from a public university with so many students..

I think it helps to ask for LOR from professors from upper classes (w/ lesser students) that you recently took..

Thanks for the insight guys.

I've decided to hold off on applying this cycle in order to take another year off to do some more retakes. My GPA is still not in the best place to insure that I get some interviews (2.82c,2.64sci from 2.53/2.35).

I think I'll forget about these LoR requests and just focus on getting new ones. I'll be a bit more aggressive about getting the letters after I have the meetings with the professors next time, rather than just sending my CV + Interfolio request and giving them a month to respond (probably not a smart decision, given that their workload can really jump up at certain times during the semester/quarter). In truth, I didn't spend nearly as much time in office hours as I should have. The professors knew me, but not well enough to write a really excellent letter.

Thanks for the insight guys.

I've decided to hold off on applying this cycle in order to take another year off to do some more retakes. My GPA is still not in the best place to insure that I get some interviews (2.82c,2.64sci from 2.53/2.35).

I think I'll forget about these LoR requests and just focus on getting new ones. I'll be a bit more aggressive about getting the letters after I have the meetings with the professors next time, rather than just sending my CV + Interfolio request and giving them a month to respond (probably not a smart decision, given that their workload can really jump up at certain times during the semester/quarter). In truth, I didn't spend nearly as much time in office hours as I should have. The professors knew me, but not well enough to write a really excellent letter.

Another hint I can give you is (this applies only if you are taking a upper level course) talk to them after class or even before. I only saw one of my professors maybe 3-4 times in the semester during office hours but I would talk up a storm with him after class. He actually offered to write an LOR for me (it was a first in my entire life I didn't have to ask). This can save you from going to their office once a week to get an excellent LOR.

Guilt them into writing the letter by giving them a thank you note with a small gift inside -- maybe a $25 gift card to a restaurant, or Starbucks, or something -- with a note saying how much you appreciate them writing your letter. Works every time!

1) take a lower-division community college science course, preferably one which covers mostly material that you already know
2) Kick serious butt
3) ask for LOR from professor

Worked for me :)

How long after shadowing do you typically ask for a letter?

How long after shadowing do you typically ask for a letter?

I think in normal circumstances around 4 months bare minimum (once a week shadowing). Since I had a family friend that was a DO, I got an LOR after one week (shadowed for 7 days since I was in my hometown for a week).