having trouble with LORs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

smurf528

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm starting my senior year this fall and I just sent in my app about a week ago. I only have one LOR from a dentist and another one coming in from a chem professor. I need two more science professors so I can fulfill the requirements for a couple of the schools. Has any of you gotten frustrated because there is no one you can ask? I don't talk to my professors at all (which I now highly regret) so none of them really know me.

I asked my bio professor if he could and he started asking if there is anyone else or I know you're a good student but I don't know much about you. (This is like a subtle way of saying "no" right?) I really want him to write me one since I have no one else and this is getting me really frustrated and stressed.

Should I just ask him again? I do have more bio professors but I never even uttered one word to them. I'm also going to ask my physics professor that I'm taking now but she barely knows me either. :(

Members don't see this ad.

I'm starting my senior year this fall and I just sent in my app about a week ago. I only have one LOR from a dentist and another one coming in from a chem professor. I need two more science professors so I can fulfill the requirements for a couple of the schools. Has any of you gotten frustrated because there is no one you can ask? I don't talk to my professors at all (which I now highly regret) so none of them really know me.

I asked my bio professor if he could and he started asking if there is anyone else or I know you're a good student but I don't know much about you. (This is like a subtle way of saying "no" right?) I really want him to write me one since I have no one else and this is getting me really frustrated and stressed.

Should I just ask him again? I do have more bio professors but I never even uttered one word to them. I'm also going to ask my physics professor that I'm taking now but she barely knows me either. :(

A lot of people don't know their professors personally....I had the same problem as you with one of my letters. I had to ask a couple before one agreed (make sure you're only asking professors whose classes you did well in!), but he said it would be no problem and asked to have a mini-interview with me. I gave him my curriculum vitae, a copy of my unofficial transcript, and my personal statement to work with. I know many people go to large universities where classes are so massive that it is unrealistic for the professor to get to know students on a personal level, so believe me you are not alone. Just keep trying until you find a professor who agrees! I honestly think professors are more often excited/flattered to write students recommendation letters (especially for professional school like med or dent!) than they are frustrated/irritated.

Members don't see this ad :)
A lot of people don't know their professors personally....I had the same problem as you with one of my letters. I had to ask a couple before one agreed (make sure you're only asking professors whose classes you did well in!), but he said it would be no problem and asked to have a mini-interview with me. I gave him my curriculum vitae, a copy of my unofficial transcript, and my personal statement to work with. I know many people go to large universities where classes are so massive that it is unrealistic for the professor to get to know students on a personal level, so believe me you are not alone. Just keep trying until you find a professor who agrees! I honestly think professors are more often excited/flattered to write students recommendation letters (especially for professional school like med or dent!) than they are frustrated/irritated.

Yeah I agree. All my science classes had about 80-150 students, so it was really hard for me to know my professors personally. However, I chose professors from classes I did well in and asked them if they could write me a recommendation. While some did decline, I was about to meet with some and tell them more about myself, my goals, etc. and gave them my resume, transcripts, and personal statements. Even if you did not know your professors at all, I would still ask them.

what would be considered well? Is a B okay? I had this professor for Bio I and Cell Bio and got a B in both.

A B is okay, but I would try to find a professor from a class where you got an A in. And keep asking different professors. The worst that can happen is they'll say no. :) They're there to help students so the majority of them should be willing to do so.

Good luck! :)

Thats why i enjoyed my small liberal arts school....everyone knows all the profs even if you're not in their classes ha But go with the profs you got an a in their class

I'm on the same boat as you, I sent everything in, but am just waiting to get my recommendations! i hate this process

I guess everyone has their own ways of getting their LOEs finished.
I know a few profs will automatically give you a letter if you do well in their course, so try asking the profs whose course you did well in first. If you can't seem to get them to automatically accept, try just going in and asking them some questions about the course that you were taking and seeing if they will clear up the topic, so as to help you study for the DAT (you're probably already done the DAT, but it doesn't hurt to let him know you're working towards a goal =P).

For myself, I just talked to profs throughout the term about assignment questions or something, maybe once a month or so. Just go in with a personality and at least some knowledge of what he/she might say, so that you just don't sit there nodding your head away. In the end each prof I got mine from offered me the letter without ever having to ask for it. I didn't really expect them to remember me with all our class sizes being 400+ students, but I guess being the only Italian around helps for being remembered on my campus =P.