Hawaii Dental Post Bacc!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RaiderNation

Recently Reinstated
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Check this out. I just read HCDM's little newsletter that they sent out and it says that no students will pay tuition until they get initial acceditation. BTW, tuition is 45k the first year, 46.8k the second, 48.6k the third, and 50.6k the fourth. And that doesn't include any type of fees...just straight tuition. Little steep for a school that nobody thinks will graduate a dentist. Anyway, assuming they don't get accredited, why not go there for 1 year if your stats are low and use them as a FREE dental post-bacc to get into a real school?

Members don't see this ad.

Bec you may go there for 4 years and waste your time and never get a job even if you graduate.

PLus if they don't take tution, what do you think that will do to the quality of your education? It will probably be crap.

Plus I bet there will be a thing in the contract, even though you don't pay while they don't have accreditation, once they get it they will probably back charge you.

Plus the way dental accrediation works, you keep the status of your class. For instance, lets say arizona lost theirs tomorrow, the class of 2007 and 2008 will graduate with an accreditated degree where as the class of 2009 and forward won't.

So if your class doesn't even have inital status for acrrediation, many that would be the stupidist decesion of someones life even if it was free.

Stay away people, something doesn't seem right.

True.. looks sketchy.. I prob woudnt do it either..
but... RaiderNation may have a point.. Technically wouldnt you sorta be looked at the same as a foreign dental grad then? You could go to Hawaii College of Dental Medicine.. then when you finish.. you could maybe get into a specialty program with good board scores and then practice that specialty.. you dont need to be a graduate of an ADA accredted dental school to apply to ALL specialty programs..
.. It would be hard to graduate and immediatly practice general dentistry though. hmm.. Tough Decision!!

But overall.. I agree with Dental08?09.. your better off just staying well clear.. at least until they offically get accreditation.. if that happens. I guess we'll see.

Members don't see this ad :)
Let me clarify that I wasn't planning on doing this. I don't know all of the specifics about Hawaii, but I thought it was interesting that they wouldn't charge tuition until they were accredited. So (assuming they didn't back charge you) you could go there for a year, get a years worth of dental education, and then apply to a real school using a Hawaii as a sort of post-bacc.

OzDDS, I also wondered about what a Hawaii degree would be considered. IF Hawaii was never accredited, would your degree be viewed the same as a degree from the Carribean, India, or Europe? If so, you could probably apply to a foreign dentist program after you finished. This would be a stupid idea, but I wonder if its possible if someone was dead set on going to Hawaii.

That's not what they mean. They're meaning initial accredidation that they are applying for in October of this year, with an on-site visit in early 2006... this is way before they'd have started their first year of classes.

"The Hawaii College of Dental Medicine is applying for its initial accreditation on October 1st 2005. Upon initial accreditation the Commission on Dental Accreditation (CODA) will schedule a site-visit with HCDM in the first quarter of 2006. HCDM will not accept tuition from students until such time as initial accreditation is attained."

Also, I believe most people who do post-bacs are trying to improve their GPA, not DAT score. To be admitted to Hawaii you have to have above a 3.0, as per their e-mail. Also, GPA is weighted more than DAT score for them.
"Applicants will be evaluated by the Admission’s Committee using a weighted average based on: 40% GPA in prerequisite courses, 30% DAT scores and 30% from the interview."

You've got to remember that the reputation of the Hawaii school and their link to the Pharmacy school is not well known. The average NON-SDN'er isn't going to know that they're shady, so they might be more inclined to go study in Hawaii for 4 years. Also they start in the clinic in year 2, so that may be appealing to some. "Clinical training will begin in Year 2. The equipment used will be cutting edge-technology and the college will eventually have over 300 dental chairs. "

Utes

Utes said:
That's not what they mean. They're meaning initial accredidation that they are applying for in October of this year, with an on-site visit in early 2006... this is way before they'd have started their first year of classes.

"The Hawaii College of Dental Medicine is applying for its initial accreditation on October 1st 2005. Upon initial accreditation the Commission on Dental Accreditation (CODA) will schedule a site-visit with HCDM in the first quarter of 2006. HCDM will not accept tuition from students until such time as initial accreditation is attained."

Also, I believe most people who do post-bacs are trying to improve their GPA, not DAT score. To be admitted to Hawaii you have to have above a 3.0, as per their e-mail. Also, GPA is weighted more than DAT score for them.
"Applicants will be evaluated by the Admission’s Committee using a weighted average based on: 40% GPA in prerequisite courses, 30% DAT scores and 30% from the interview."

You've got to remember that the reputation of the Hawaii school and their link to the Pharmacy school is not well known. The average NON-SDN'er isn't going to know that they're shady, so they might be more inclined to go study in Hawaii for 4 years. Also they start in the clinic in year 2, so that may be appealing to some. "Clinical training will begin in Year 2. The equipment used will be cutting edge-technology and the college will eventually have over 300 dental chairs. "

Utes
Woops. You're right, I was thinking Fall 2006 was when they would be applying for initial accreditation. Seemed a little shady to me. Regardless, if they don't get accreditation do you think they would really be able to stick to the 3.0 GPA standard?

RaiderNation said:
Woops. You're right, I was thinking Fall 2006 was when they would be applying for initial accreditation. Seemed a little shady to me. Regardless, if they don't get accreditation do you think they would really be able to stick to the 3.0 GPA standard?

Why would it matter if they stick to a GPA standard or not? Nobody in their right mind would attend a non-accredited dental school, since you have to attend an accredited program in the end to practice.

All these "what ifs?" are making it a lot harder than it is.

Attend an ADA dental school, graduate, practice. That's it. :thumbup:

ItsGavinC said:
Why would it matter if they stick to a GPA standard or not? Nobody in their right mind would attend a non-accredited dental school, since you have to attend an accredited program in the end to practice.

Can I get an amen from the congregation?!

DinoDentist said:
AMEN, my brotha!!!! Now, if you would be kind enough to place your donations in the nice little plate that is going around...

Please read this link involving the pharmacy school:
http://starbulletin.com/2005/07/16/business/story2.html

Also, please read my latest post in the P1 HICP Students thread in the pharmacy students forum.

The same people are running this college as are running HICP. They are criminals. They stole all of our money and are going to do the same to you if you plan to go to HCDM.

BTW, where exactly are they getting this "state of the art equipement and chairs" from? There isnt even a TEMPORARY location for the dental school yet and the "building" which is supposed to house all these programs together hasnt even broken ground, and most likely it will never break ground. Are they going to use UH facilities? Fat chance, UH despises HICP and their leaders.

Also, lets not forget the dean of HCDM is a crooked politician from my home state who has committed purgery, forces unnecessary taxes on the people and used taxpayers' money to line his pockets.

Please, look at all the red flags and dont get violated like we all did. You ONLY choice is to go to an ADA approved school and get a real education, you will not be considered a foreign student if you go to HCDM, it is an American institution.

JohnHICP said:
Please read this link involving the pharmacy school:
http://starbulletin.com/2005/07/16/business/story2.html

Also, please read my latest post in the P1 HICP Students thread in the pharmacy students forum.

The same people are running this college as are running HICP. They are criminals. They stole all of our money and are going to do the same to you if you plan to go to HCDM.

BTW, where exactly are they getting this "state of the art equipement and chairs" from? There isnt even a TEMPORARY location for the dental school yet and the "building" which is supposed to house all these programs together hasnt even broken ground, and most likely it will never break ground. Are they going to use UH facilities? Fat chance, UH despises HICP and their leaders.

Also, lets not forget the dean of HCDM is a crooked politician from my home state who has committed purgery, forces unnecessary taxes on the people and used taxpayers' money to line his pockets.

Please, look at all the red flags and dont get violated like we all did. You ONLY choice is to go to an ADA approved school and get a real education, you will not be considered a foreign student if you go to HCDM, it is an American institution.
I think it said that the dental students will be using the pharmacy school until the dental school facilities are ready. I just laugh.

ItsGavinC said:

500 people/guinea pigs have already applied to the program according to that article. If an applicant doesn't get in anywhere else but gets accepted there, you better believe your butt they're going to be going there, accredited or not. I don't think they will have a problem filling the class. Now the caliber of the class is whole other story...look at OES (Ortho). I'm not disagreeing with you here. Just saying they will be able to fill those seats with people that are desperate enough.

flat4 said:
500 people/guinea pigs have already applied to the program according to that article. If an applicant doesn't get in anywhere else but gets accepted there, you better believe your butt they're going to be going there, accredited or not.

Do applicants apply through AADSAS? AADSAS likely hasn't even sent out 500 applications yet. 500 applicants in late July is going to equate to 4,000 applicants by the end of the cycle. No school reaches those numbers, much less a school that charges outrageous tuition, has no website, doesn't return phone calls, isn't accredited, and is in the middle of rumors of corrupt administrators.

And, according to the school, NOBODY will matriculate unless they receive accreditation.

RaiderNation said:
I think it said that the dental students will be using the pharmacy school until the dental school facilities are ready. I just laugh.

UNLV students used the groundskeeping facilities with movable dividers until their building was done.

When you're a new school you gotta do what you gotta do.

ItsGavinC said:
UNLV students used the groundskeeping facilities with movable dividers until their building was done.

When you're a new school you gotta do what you gotta do.

They haven't even started building a pharmacy school yet.... the pharmacy school is a large rented room in a bank office building. The computer room is 8 computers? For 250 students. No lab space. Makes me think of high school cafeteria with the folding picnic tables. They should have probably built a pharmacy school first, got it up and running then open a dental program. Unfortunately when the people running it are all about money they tend not to spend it on things like facilities and competent professors.

ItsGavinC said:
Do applicants apply through AADSAS? AADSAS likely hasn't even sent out 500 applications yet. 500 applicants in late July is going to equate to 4,000 applicants by the end of the cycle. No school reaches those numbers, much less a school that charges outrageous tuition, has no website, doesn't return phone calls, isn't accredited, and is in the middle of rumors of corrupt administrators.

And, according to the school, NOBODY will matriculate unless they receive accreditation.

I think we all know that the numbers will never reach that high b/c they eventually taper off after the intial flood of applications early in the cycle. That's not to say that those guys didn't inflate their initial stats which they most likely did.

Let me reiterate my main point. When the school is ready and the door's are open, people will come. Look at the Pharmacy school...weren't they unaccredited? You gotta remember the hundreds, if not thousands, of applicant's that don't visit SDN and have no clue what that school's about. To them, it's just another school on the application and to top it off, it's in Hawaii. Plus I think people are desperate enough to take a chance with a non-accredited school than no school at all. Some will be smart enough to just apply again but there are simply too many applicants that don't get in who won't take this route and I can easily see 45 people take the bait. Plus they're throwing in the good ol "no money down until 2010" routine to lure people in.

flat4 said:
Let me reiterate my main point. When the school is ready and the door's are open, people will come. Look at the Pharmacy school...weren't they unaccredited? You gotta remember the hundreds, if not thousands, of applicant's that don't visit SDN and have no clue what that school's about. To them, it's just another school on the application and to top it off, it's in Hawaii. Plus I think people are desperate enough to take a chance with a non-accredited school than no school at all. Some will be smart enough to just apply again but there are simply too many applicants that don't get in who won't take this route and I can easily see 45 people take the bait. Plus they're throwing in the good ol "no money down until 2010" routine to lure people in.

Whaaaat? Some applicants are unaware of SDN?

But seriously, you make great points and have a good argument. I agree with you 100%.