Hawaii Path

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DruidDoc

The Limiting Reagent
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone know anything about this program??
Studying Path for 4 years in Hawaii. Does it get any better than that?

Members don't see this ad.

DruidDoc said:

Maybe just living off of your family's fortune in Hawaii sitting around drinking Kona Pale Ale.

Kona-fire_rock_pale_ale.jpg

DruidDoc said:
Anyone know anything about this program??

What do you want to know? Yes it does exist as Ive known some peeps who trained there. The biggest problem is there are like NO jobs on the islands. Kaiser is very much impacted there and UH is overloaded. Even if you did land a job, the pay is utter hog piss. So you are left with scrambling for a fellowship position and/or job back on the mainland with pretty much no connections, not an enviable position. In addition, you get endless shiat for having trained there.

My advice: save Hawaii for later in your career. Go there on vacation. Find a group with 3 months of vacation a year and spend it there. But dont train there.

Members don't see this ad :)
LADoc00 said:
What do you want to know? Yes it does exist as Ive known some peeps who trained there. The biggest problem is there are like NO jobs on the islands. Kaiser is very much impacted there and UH is overloaded. Even if you did land a job, the pay is utter hog piss. So you are left with scrambling for a fellowship position and/or job back on the mainland with pretty much no connections, not an enviable position. In addition, you get endless shiat for having trained there.

My advice: save Hawaii for later in your career. Go there on vacation. Find a group with 3 months of vacation a year and spend it there. But dont train there.

LADoc00 has spoken. Let it be written.

I've looked at this program a bit, and feared I'd look like an overly-tanned slacker surf-addict when applying for fellowships in the states. However, they seem to have landed solid fellowships after residency:

http://www.hawaiipathres.org/index/Residents

Have heard rumors thru residents at my program that UH is busy as hell- not sure that that's based on anything other than interview trail/ rumor.

AndyMilonakis said:
One of you needs to change your damn avatar. I thought that you were posting responses to yourself.

luke720 said:
I've looked at this program a bit, and feared I'd look like an overly-tanned slacker surf-addict when applying for fellowships in the states. However, they seem to have landed solid fellowships after residency:

http://www.hawaiipathres.org/index/Residents

Have heard rumors thru residents at my program that UH is busy as hell- not sure that that's based on anything other than interview trail/ rumor.

I am sure passing the boards is somewhat resident dependent, but is a 70% CP pass rate something a program should be bragging about? Is this a first time pass rate, or do the residents just say f*ck it and not re-take?

UCSFbound said:
I am sure passing the boards is somewhat resident dependent, but is a 70% CP pass rate something a program should be bragging about? Is this a first time pass rate, or do the residents just say f*ck it and not re-take?
Over the past ten years:

-98% of residents who completed the Hawaii Pathology Residency Program passed the Anatomic Pathology Board.

-70% of residents who completed the Hawaii Pathology Residency Program passed the Clinical Pathology Board.

This would imply that 2% of those taking AP and 30% who sit for CP are NEVER successful. Meaning that if you do CP there, there is almost a 1 in 3 chance you will never be boarded after training. That is insane IMO.

Bonus points: what big fellowship is UHawaii missing in terms of what their residents have gone onto??

hint: its a biggie

UCSFbound said:
One of you needs to change your damn avatar. I thought that you were posting responses to yourself.

Yeah, and the other day, I thought that Deschutes said, "You spelled 'bu.kakke' wrong." :eek:

edit: board does not like that term

LADoc00 said:
Bonus points: what big fellowship is UHawaii missing in terms of what their residents have gone onto??

hint: its a biggie

If I were a particular someone I would scream at you DERM! DERM! DERM!, but my hunch is that it is surg path (I cant find their fellowship list).

LADoc00 said:
This would imply that 2% of those taking AP and 30% who sit for CP are NEVER successful. Meaning that if you do CP there, there is almost a 1 in 3 chance you will never be boarded after training. That is insane IMO.

That's what I thought and I can't figure out why you would put it out there in plain sight. At least hide until you can wow your interviewee with views of the Pacific, nice weather, nice facilities, etc, then show 'em the numbers.

LADoc00 said:

It's true - I believe no one has failed the boards here in the past few years. A 30% pass rate for CP is less than the national average (or at least close). That isn't really something to be proud of, although I guess it does mean your training is officially "adequate."

deschutes said:
I thought you were Laotian, not Egyptian.

You know, Yul Brynner (or however the **** you spell his name) not only played Ramses in the Ten Commandments (at which point he uttered the words "So let it be written so let it be done,") but he also played the King in "The King and I" among other roles. And he was born in Russia!

The website says "During AP rotation, residents are on call every other day." Whoa. I don't know how dependable websites are, but I was told by my PD I have to have 2 call-free weekends every month. They also state that "most rotations have half-days on Saturday." But why??

It's easy to bash institutions that aren't represented on this forum though.

yaah said:
You know, Yul Brynner (or however the **** you spell his name) not only played Ramses in the Ten Commandments (at which point he uttered the words "So let it be written so let it be done,") but he also played the King in "The King and I" among other roles. And he was born in Russia!
Which is why I had a moment of confusion in my original post, and said Thai instead of Egyptian.

UCSFbound said:
Good. Keeps ya on yer toesies.

Cabbage Head said:
Yeah, and the other day, I thought that Deschutes said, "You spelled 'bu.kakke' wrong." :eek:
You have a problem with that? :p

I'll admit I do occasionally go "Huh? I wrote that?? ...Oh wait."