Hawaii pharmacy school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TC714

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I never knew Hawaii has a pharmacy school there...until today one of my friend gave me the letter of acceptance from that school...amazing! But i believe that school is still seeking accreditation...so a little problem there
Anyone here risky to go there?

Members don't see this ad.

What's the name of the school? Is it "University of Hawaii at Hilo"? If so, I'm amazed they got that program started so quickly. Last I heard the proposed start up was to be sometime in 2006! As far as gaining "accreditation status" goes, I think corncern about that tends to be slightly overstated. The ACPE does periodic reviews of the program, which helps the program develop according to plan. If a site visit by the ACPE does not go well, there is ample time for the program to remedy issues brought up by that visit before the next visit. Accreditation of a new program is a "process", not simply a "thumbs up" or "thumbs down" decision.

LVPharm bro,
The school is Hawaii College of Pharmacy...I am kinda thinking this is weird . Here is the website : www.hicp.org
Check it out, bro...for me, i didn't apply this school...kinda like scam feeling!
:)
Peace out

Members don't see this ad :)
I think it's great that all these guys are putting together schools. even if they're slightly rocky at first, the shortage demands it, and it's ******ed that a state out in themiddle of the ocean doesn't have its own pharm school.

What's more interesting is, if it's not a state school, than anyone regardless of residency can apply: Pharm school in hawaii? He!! yeah!!!!!!!!

Originally posted by Triangulation
I think it's great that all these guys are putting together schools. even if they're slightly rocky at first, the shortage demands it, and it's ******ed that a state out in themiddle of the ocean doesn't have its own pharm school.

What's more interesting is, if it's not a state school, then anyone regardless of residency can apply: Pharm school in hawaii? He!! yeah!!!!!!!!

I always thought is was really cool that the RPh license fee in Hawaii is only fifteen bucks. Guess that is to offset what you will pay to live there.

If HICP gets accredited, I'm definitely going to talk the fiance into letting me apply there.

Is the cost of living in Hawaii is as high as the cost of living in California ?

I would love to live there one day...

Originally posted by alkyne
Is the cost of living in Hawaii is as high as the cost of living in California ?

I would love to live there one day...

According to my exroomate who is from Hawaii, much higher. It's one of the reasons why Hawaiians seem to flock to the mainland to stay. I know several Hawaiian-born pharmacists who decided to stay on the mainland following pharmacy school instead of returning back to the islands. There's a rather large shortage of pharmacists in Hawaii, and this "brain drain" might be part of the cause. That's a shame...Hawaiians are some of the nicest folk around, must be the laid-back island lifestyle...I certainly wouldn't mind practicing there.

Incidentally, I emailed that Hawaiian pharmacy school link to one of my classmates who was thinking of going into pharmacy teaching. It would be awesome to teach pharmacy practice in Hawaii....especially because the school is on a block system. More time to enjoy paradise!

Who said anything about practicing there? I'd just go there for the four years, enjoy school in paradise, and head on back with the katonks.

this would be so cool! i always wished there was a pharm school in hawaii since i'm from hawaii!! i might have to switch schools!!

to me the cost of living here doesn't seem to be as high as in california. but then again, i've been away for awhile, so it may have changed.

i'm back home right now and it sure feels good to defrost myself! instead of staying in by the heater i head to the beach to work on my tan!!:D

Keiki,

What island & village are you from?

What island & village are you from?

kailua now... originally from hilo tho. you?

Holy ****! This is what I was waiting for! I'm originally from Hawaii, and now i'm stuck in crappy California. I've been contemplating doing Creighton's web based Pharm.D. program in Hawaii, but screw that, this is even better! Damn, and 28k for tuition, that's not too bad.

Who said that Hawaii has a shortage of pharmacists??? Last time I checked, there weren't alot of positions available in Hawaii. That's probably why all the Hawaiians are still stuck on the mainland. It's kinda hard to find a pharmacy job in Hawaii unless it's in retail. And in terms of cost of living, look, the biggest cost would be rent, and i'm paying out the ass compared to Hawaii -- although the rental market there is pretty tight. A decent one br in the Bay Area would run about 1100. In Hawaii, that same apt. would go for less than 800. Food, clothing, electricity, etc... the same. Actually, electricity would be cheaper since you don't need a heater, and there would be no gas bills to pay either. In terms of gas for your car, well, it is about 15 - 20 cents higher in Hawaii, but you DO drive somewhat shorter distances. Other than that, it's all good.

Oh, and one other thing, if you come to Hawaii, respect the locals and our culture. Embrace the Aloha Spirit and the islands will embrace you. If you come with an attitude like you own the place, and bring that mainland ethos with you, I, and my brethren, will beat your ass.

Much love,

Kawika

food is way more expensive in hawaii.. plus you gadda pay tax on food. for example, a gallon of milk here is like $3.. in hawaii.. try $6-$7!!!

i wonder how good the programwill be tho, since it's just starting out. we have a lab here that is still trying to be optimized and it's been like 3-4 years already. it would be nice, tho.. esp since i wouldn't really be losing a year. i'd graduate in 2007 whether it was here in boston or there in hawaii.... hmm....:p

Well, you pay sales tax in almost EVERY state except Oregon (and possibly some other state I don't know about). In Hawaii, the sales tax is 4% and in California it's roughly 7% and in Nevada it's 5.5% and in Mass. it's 5%, so, I don't know what you're complaining about unless you live in Oregon.

Besides, Keiki, the food isn't THAT much more expenisve. You can get a gallon of milk at WalMart in Hawaii for less than 4 bucks too. I should know because I just bought milk there last week while I was on vacation in Hawaii. The only complaint I've heard about food prices in Hawaii is on cereal, but that point is moot now since all the major f'ing retailers have invaded our home (well, my home since I consider myself a native at heart). Almost everywhere i've been in America, the cost of eating out is roughly the same -- it just depends on how much you want to spend.

At any rate, if you're going to be in Hawaii and still complaining, don't come. THe last thing we need is locals and non locals living in Hawaii and breeding negativity. And also because we will still beat your ass back to the mainland ;)

Originally posted by mililaniguy
Who said that Hawaii has a shortage of pharmacists??? Last time I checked, there weren't alot of positions available in Hawaii.

That was according to Sen. Daniel Inouye (in 2002) and an administration official at UH Hilo. It must be said, however, that they are (were?) looking for federal funding to assist in the startup of a state university pharmacy program.
http://www.hilohawaiitribune.com/daily/2003/Jul-09-Wed-2003/news/news3.html

The NACDS says that there are just enough retail pharmacists in Hawaii to meet local demand...so I'm inclined to believe that what you have stated is correct, mililaniguy :)

geez calm down mililaniguy... i was just saying that here in the mainland we don't pay tax on FOOD. i didn't say no tax at all. i'm not looking to complain about hawaii... afterall i was born and raised there. :rolleyes:

Sounds like HI is a good place to get an ass beating. Maybe the fiancee and I will go to St. Thomas to get married...