HCTZ for NDI

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Anaphylactic

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am just wondering if anyone knows the mechanisms for using thiazides to treat nephrogenic diabetes insipidus? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

While thiazides inhibit reaborption of NaCl, the PCT and Loop would act to compensate for the loss of Na+ by increasing their reabsorption of Na+ along with water.

While thiazides inhibit reaborption of NaCl, the PCT and Loop would act to compensate for the loss of Na+ by increasing their reabsorption of Na+ along with water.

I agree! the idea is to upregulate the water-conserving compensatory mechanisms.

Thanks! Just annotated my FA with what you said verbatim.

I was under the impression that the purpose of thiazides in NDI is to treat the hypernatremia and hyperosmolality that occurs with this disorder. That is why thiazide AND high quantity of fluids are always prescribed together for NDI. Just my two cents...